DST TLR, small titanium AA light

1 what

Enlightened
Many thanks. Nice review.:thumbsup:.
I think I could be tempted to buy my first Ti light!

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The finish on the light is good, but not as good as some of my other titanium lights...
Thanks for the excellent review as always HKJ!! Very helpful - I saw this over the MP, and it fits my tastes so well I am considering getting one even though DST is new on the scene. Fortunately they sent it to you in advance for review.

One question I had about your comment above: I actually really like the look of the finish on this light (in the pics) over others I have seen. It's not too "blingy" with crome-looking polishing, etc. What specifically made you say the finish is not as good? Is it the seams, sharp edges, lack of smoothness when unscrewing, etc..

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
One question I had about your comment above: I actually really like the look of the finish on this light (in the pics) over others I have seen. It's not to "blingy" with crome-looking polishing, etc. What specifically made you say the finish is not as good? Is it the seams, sharp edges, lack of smoothness when unscrewing, etc..

There is a sharp edge on one of the tail holes, tooling marks on the clip and the seam just behind the knurling on the head. The thread is smooth.
Not being polished, also makes the light look less fancy and is part of the reason for my comment about "more being design for actual use".

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a sharp edge on one of the tail holes, tooling marks on the clip and the seam just behind the knurling on the head. The thread is smooth.
Not being polished, also makes the light look less fancy and is part of the reason for my comment about "more being design for actual use".
Thanks for the additional detail HKJ, that is helpful. A couple of additional questions if you don't mind - how is the tint? Very neutral, slightly greenish or blueish, on the warm side, etc.? Also how is the wall thickness? It seems like a very slim light compared to the other AA lights in your pic, and I'm just wondering how thin the walls of this light are.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the additional detail HKJ, that is helpful. A couple of additional questions if you don't mind - how is the tint? Very neutral, slightly greenish or blueish, on the warm side, etc.? Also how is the wall thickness? It seems like a very slim light compared to the other AA lights in your pic, and I'm just wondering how thin the walls of this light are.

The tint on my TLR is slightly greenish. The light is about the same diameter as EZAA or Quark Mini AA, this means thin walls (Under the o-ring it is 0.4 mm), but remember it is in titanium.

Also note that there is no confirmations from DST that the sold light is exactly the same as the one reviewed.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tint on my TLR is slightly greenish. The light is about the same diameter as EZAA or Quark Mini AA, this means thin walls (Under the o-ring it is 0.4 mm), but remember it is in titanium.

Also note that there is no confirmations from DST that the sold light is exactly the same as the one reviewed.
Great, thanks again for the helpful and very detailed information!

Haz

Enlightened
thanks for the great review and comparison. Looking at the light compared to the other AA lights, it does look slim, which should make it quite comfortable for pocket carry. another observation, the clip reminds me alot of the McGizmo clip

Incidentalist

Enlightened
I'm very happy with mine.

No doubt that several of the components/ideas on this light were 'borrowed' from other designs.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've edc for about a week now. Not bad, not bad at all. The clip could have been designed a little better as it can't clip thicker clothe or belt without over-stretching. It could have been a little more deep pocket. Being reverse clicky is not a deal breaker for me because I like the rest of the stuff from this light, namely the UI, intuitive switch, Ti, slimness etc. It's a good general purpose edc for me.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! I'm really liking the looks of this light. Incredibly slim and small for an AA clicky. I love reading your reviews since you delve into the technical side of things far more than I am capable of.