E-Series head options?

jacobd

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I have a surplus of E series Malkoff bodies and I'm curious if there's any head on the scene that I'm not aware of.

The LuxRC Oveready is on my list, and I do have a McGizmo Haiku. I'd love something with a throwy Osram emitter.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I have a surplus of E series Malkoff bodies and I'm curious if there's any head on the scene that I'm not aware of.

The LuxRC Oveready is on my list, and I do have a McGizmo Haiku. I'd love something with a throwy Osram emitter.
A couple options...
The Malkoff E2HT (35,000 Lux) is a very tight spot for an E series sized head. I don't know the LED though. Malkoff has the E2XT with a slightly larger head (55,000 Lux).

Another option is to take a Lumens Factory e style head and replace their LED and driver with your own. They come apart easily, but the the MCPCB is slightly smaller than 16mm, so you might have to source a smaller size. Driver is the same size as the one on the Convoy S2+.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple options...
The Malkoff E2HT (35,000 Lux) is a very tight spot for an E series sized head. I don't know the LED though. Malkoff has the E2XT with a slightly larger head (55,000 Lux).

Another option is to take a Lumens Factory e style head and replace their LED and driver with your own. They come apart easily, but the the MCPCB is slightly smaller than 16mm, so you might have to source a smaller size. Driver is the same size as the one on the Convoy S2+.
Why is the size of the mcpcb an issue

As for the op, I hate to be part of the hype train, but I'd agree with a Malkoff if you're looking for mostly throw. Not many others are using an optic which is kind of necessary to get good throw with the small form factor. Even with an osram

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Why is the size of the mcpcb an issue

As for the op, I hate to be part of the hype train, but I'd agree with a Malkoff if you're looking for mostly throw. Not many others are using an optic which is kind of necessary to get good throw with the small form factor. Even with an osram
Thanks for the info. I didn't test the fitment, as I replaced the LED/MCPCB my LF bezel with a discounted 219 on an 11mm (IIRC) MCPCB and 17mm drive while experimenting. When I have time I might gut my S2+ and put the SST40 and Convoy 5A driver in.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I didn't test the fitment, as I replaced the LED/MCPCB my LF bezel with a discounted 219 on an 11mm (IIRC) MCPCB and 17mm drive while experimenting. When I have time I might gut my S2+ and put the SST40 and Convoy 5A driver in.
I just meant that as long as the led you chose has the same, or close footprint, you can reflow it. It's almost as easy as just replacing the mcpcb

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
I just meant that as long as the led you chose has the same, or close footprint, you can reflow it. It's almost as easy as just replacing the mcpcb
I haven't yet tried reflowing. Any suggestions on a cost effective setup?

jacobd

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure how I missed these replies but thank you guys!

I have the E2XT, but I might grab the E2HT as well, for a little slimmer carry, and look into modding a Lumens Factory one. Thanks!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't yet tried reflowing. Any suggestions on a cost effective setup?
Do you have a frying pan? That's a low cost setup. It's really that easy. You need an iron for the other soldering but for reflowing just remove the mcpcb and put it on a frying pan. Put to medium heat and wait until the led can easily pull off. Then put the new one. You may need to add a touch of solder to the pad if there's not enough there. Once the LED is centered, which basically it popped itself into place on its own, give it a little tap to make it mostly flat, and pull the MCPCB off and let it cool. Check with the continuity test on a dmm

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a frying pan? That's a low cost setup. It's really that easy. You need an iron for the other soldering but for reflowing just remove the mcpcb and put it on a frying pan. Put to medium heat and wait until the led can easily pull off. Then put the new one. You may need to add a touch of solder to the pad if there's not enough there. Once the LED is centered, which basically it popped itself into place on its own, give it a little tap to make it mostly flat, and pull the MCPCB off and let it cool. Check with the continuity test on a dmm
I know nothing of the subject matter, that was very succinct;-)

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
My kitchen/stove isn't setup well for handling small electronics.

This is the one I use. It's $14.
Thanks for the link, I met grab it and give it a try.