E-series tail cap on mag aa?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a lightsaver miser multiple level tail cap for e series compatible incand lights but I would prefer to use it with a mag mini aa. I wonder if it is possible to make the proper threading on an aa body?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the E-series tails have a smaller diameter than what is needed for an AA battery. I have a 2AA E-series compatible body and the batteries have to be loaded from the head side.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't even insert AA battery from tail side of E1/E2 body.
Tail cap of E series are just to hold switch and not for replacing batteries.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eventually, I found the 2xAA version which is called Nite Ize IQ Switch for AA Mini Maglite Multi-function Switch NIQ-07-AA. With this tail cap and some Phaseburn film, the 2xAA mag is my by far most used bedside light now.

There is one available on the bay right now, if anyone is interested, plus I can still buy more at the local store. And I do plan to stock some before they are gone for good.

mahoney

Enlightened
Can you do it, yes. I have installed E-series switches on 2AA bodies a few times...but...you have to cut off the existing AA maglite internally threaded area so there will be enough wall thickness to thread. You will lose length in the body. If you wanted a 2AA light, you would have to start with a 3AA model. If you are using different batteries, maybe no problem. Also, the O-ring groove is tricky. If you cut it as deep as it should be, you will almost cut through the wall of the tube. If you cut it shallow the switch will be hard to twist. If you don't need water resistance, no problem.