EagleTac T100C2 Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Submitted for consideration for the review forum:

EagleTac T100C2

The EagleTac T100C2 is, in its broadest generalization a souped up P100 series light. Electronically identical to the P100C2, at initial glance it is difficult to see beyond the extra bulk, however this light does offer enough individuality under closer inspection to clearly differentiate it into its own distinct entity.

EagleTac T100C2

Meat and Potatoes

As with the other EagleTac 100 series lights, quality knurling is the order of the day here. Enough of it to provide a grippy surface without becoming overly aggressive. As a matter of fact it appears very similar to the knurling common to several Nitecore branded lights. The result is an understated light without over the top machinework complexity. It makes its entrance as a no-nonsense duty light designed more as a professional tool than something to beautify a collection sitting on a shelf.

The EagleTac T100C2 takes the much praiseworthy regulation of the P100C2 and adds to it, most notably, a body with support for 18650 Li-ion rechargeable cells. This allows the end user complete customization as to their preferred power supply. One of my biggest concerns with flashlights is that when I push the button to turn it on, I want reliable output no matter what state the batteries are in. I want to be absolutely assured of what light level I am going to get every single time. The EagleTac T100C2 offers that no matter which battery type you decide to feed it.

The T100C2 uses the same Q5 bin Cree XP-E LED found in the P100 series lights. This time however the reflector has been retooled to accommodate the increased diameter of the lights head. This results in not only a tighter spot as expected, but also surprisingly it provides a broader transitional corona to the beam. The longer I use this torch, the more impressed I am with how beautiful the light it puts out is. This is very nearly enough for me to recant my previous position regarding the use of textured reflectors.

EagleTac T100C2

Constructive Criticism

The T100C2 is the first EagleTac light to be given the removable Tactical Grip ring similar to offerings by Surefire and Fenix. This ring does accomplish it's goal of providing solid retention and anti-roll features. It appears to be made from a high quality plastic that has been given a nice matte finish. This ring however ends up rather narrow and inflexible and therefor digs into your hand unnecessarily when using any grip other than the cigar grip. I would suggest that instead of plastic, some semi-rigid rubber would be used and the corners be rounded a little more to provide a more comfortable user experience. Personally I have decided to remove the ring for long term use.

As much as I profess the T100C2 to be more of a tool than a shelf decoration, it doesn't hurt to have the finish continue to look good for as long as possible. The anodizing on the T100 appears to be of the same quality as that on the P100 Series before it so that makes long term observation a little easier. Those lights have been in my possession in regular use for a while now and have already begun to show considerable wear to the finish. None of the damage they have sustained over their use is anything but cosmetic and they continue to function as well as the day they shed their packaging, but quite a few wear spots have appeared, especially on the sharper corners of the knurling and bezel, where the anodizing is likely the thinnest. I personally don't mind if a quality tool looks like it receives a lot of use, but a thick durable finish would better maintain the professional appearance that this light initially gives.

During my time thus far with my narrow sample set of this model, I did experience one minor operational defect. For a short time the low mode seemed to diminish to a very small portion of the threading making it rather difficult to obtain, especially in a hurry. briefly even it appeared to disappear entirely. Further inspection revealed that the spring loaded mode-selection ring inside the head of the light was sticking in the compressed position, severing electrical contact when it would normally be expanding into general mode. This was fixed with some careful reshaping and light lubrication to where it is back to operating like brand new. I just would hate to see a light like this succumb to simple issues that could be circumvented by tighter control in manufacturing.

EagleTac T100C2

Conclusions

I began my review of the T100C2 at the same time as the EagleTac M2XC4 and as such at first it seemed to hide in the shadows somewhat by comparison. It is a much simpler light destined for a completely different purpose. The longer I used this light however, the more I came to appreciate the quiet competence it exudes for it's intended tasks. I am very pleased with the overall product and once again find myself impressed with EagleTac for producing such quality at a very reasonable price.

Provided for review by PTS-Flashlights

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:twothumbs Another plesant read that I happily agree with.

This light is a true bargain that is so simple anyone can manage to pick it up and use it properly.

toasterlocker

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious how the output would be compared to a Malkoff M60. I've been thinking about getting another M60 +body, but if the Eagle Tac here performs as well, I'd be interested in saving some money and trying something new.

Also, since this light has the "standard" diameter, would it fit in a Surefire V70 holster like the 6P does? If it does, I think I'm getting one for sure.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I'd lean towards the Malkoff because I am very used to them but you would certainly not be making a bad choice by going with this one instead.

The T100C2 has more throw. The Malkoff has a more utility type beam.
Both are well regulated. Total output is really close.

I'd say it depends on your intended use because of the beam profiles. The T100C2 has decent spill but it cuts off more abruptly than the Malkoff's gradual fade. If you have a host standing by Malkoff's a very good and safe bet. If you are working from the ground up on your next one the price on the EagleTac's hard to ignore. The Malkoff would probably survive drops better, it's host however may be another story depending on what you use. Also at this time you only have one tint choice with the T100C2. That may or may not matter to you.

WIN/WIN :thumbsup: They are both great.

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just grabbed some quick and dirty pictures. Don't know if they really show what you are looking for...
3554308210_6c456e87c9_o.jpg

Size comparison

3554308342_d7fe9dc754_o.jpg

Beamshot comparison - Right is T100C2

1996alnl

Enlightened
Great review!
And thanks for the beamshot,wow i thought the P100 had a tight beam but looking at the hotspots side by side i can clearly see that the T100 can throw a beam well over 200m.
Impressive..
Is the side spill the same as the P100?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the T100 series definitely has a noticeably better capability for throw but I am quite surprised at how it doesn't really appear to affect short range stuff much. The spillbeams on both 100 series lights appear to me to be basically the same. I don't have a lightbox at all so I can't vouch for actual numbers, but the appearance is identical.

harddrive

Enlightened
Thanks. Now I know I did the right thing, not buying one...

"Size isn't everything" as they say!

I have both and they are both great. The P100C2 is smaller and easier to pocket. The T100C2 has significantly better throw and significantly better regulated runtime using LiIon (as it can fit a 18650).

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
But there are a few similar flashlights on the market. There is no small, slim, reasonably priced 18650 flashlight with decent throw. P100 with wider tube would be perfect, I don't know why Eagle-Tac ignores it.:thinking: