Eagletac XM-L U2 LED module labeling question

Maltytasker

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased an Eagletac T20C2 Mark II flashlight with the newest XM-L U2 module. The original label on the box shows "Cree XM-L T6." and there is a smaller label which shows "Latest binned LED - Cree XM-L U2." The module itself is labeled "Cool White XM-L T6." I contacted the seller, illuminationGear, to inquire as to why I had a T6 module instead of a U2 that I had ordered, and was told that all of Eagletac's U2 modules say T6 because they have so many different configurations available. I suppose it would be impractical for them to label each configuration separately. As I said, the box did have a smaller label identifying it as a U2.

I have read reviews and comments about illuminationGear, and have every reason to believe that they are an honest and reliable seller, and they responded to my question very quickly and completely. It seems strange that Eagletac would not label their modules with the actual LED that is installed, at least to avoid any confusion on the part of their customers. Can anyone with an Eagletac XM-L U2 module confirm the labeling?

BTW, I am very happy with this Eagletac T20C2 Mark II; excellent flashlight, and illuminationGear shipped it very quickly.

20120615114958a.jpg

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
I recently purchased an Eagletac T20C2 Mark II flashlight with the newest XM-L U2 module. The original label on the box shows "Cree XM-L T6." and there is a smaller label which shows "Latest binned LED - Cree XM-L U2." The module itself is labeled "Cool White XM-L T6." I contacted the seller, illuminationGear, to inquire as to why I had a T6 module instead of a U2 that I had ordered, and was told that all of Eagletac's U2 modules say T6 because they have so many different configurations available. I suppose it would be impractical for them to label each configuration separately. As I said, the box did have a smaller label identifying it as a U2.

I have read reviews and comments about illuminationGear, and have every reason to believe that they are an honest and reliable seller, and they responded to my question very quickly and completely. It seems strange that Eagletac would not label their modules with the actual LED that is installed, at least to avoid any confusion on the part of their customers. Can anyone with an Eagletac XM-L U2 module confirm the labeling?

BTW, I am very happy with this Eagletac T20C2 Mark II; excellent flashlight, and illuminationGear shipped it very quickly.

I haven't personally seen this on EagleTac's lights but have noticed this practice with Olight and others in the past. It is simply too expensive to print new boxes when a manufacturer upgrades the emitter in an existing light, so they do the cut & paste thing. I think it's reasonable to assume , in this case, that you do indeed have a U2 version since ET is very customer oriented (speaking from personal warranty experience with ET) and Tod at IG has a sterling reputation for honestly and fast and reliable information.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been my experience that sometimes a new model flashlight comes in old packaging. You'll have no problem with Illumination Gear. Sometimes they add a sticker, and sometimes they just mention it on the website. You should be okay.

Maltytasker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies and info. I can definitely understand placing a label on the existing packaging, rather than reprinting a whole new label, but I would think that Eagletac could at least stamp something different or additional on the module itself to differentiate it from the regular T6 module. Otherwise, how would anyone looking at just the module know whether it's a T6 or a U2? Is there another way to tell? :thinking:

20120615114958a.jpg

cbr400rr

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one from GG and will be here hopefully on Monday. They told me that the T20 I bought had the U2 emitter. I will update as soon as I can.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

20120615114958a.jpg

Let me put it this way....

If the module says T6, then its most likely a T6.

Also, I returned a light to illuminationgear 2 weeks ago, and I wanted to swap it for an Eagletac G25C2, with an XM-L U2. But, they said they didnt have any more XM-L U2 Eagletacs in stock, only XM-L T6 models. So I bought my G25C2 from Goinggear instead.

But illuminationgear told me that they were awaiting these new 1000+ Lumen Eagletac lights to come in, and made it seem they werent going to order more Of the current Eagletac models with the U2 in the mean time.

I think its a possibility that illuminationgear is still out of U2 models, as they are waiting for the new 1000+ lumen Eagletacs to come in, so they are trying to sell what they DO have, which are T6 models. But I cant explain why the box says U2 on it.

I think what you have in an XM-L T6 there.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
and was told that all of Eagletac's U2 modules say T6 because they have so many different configurations available.
If i were you, i would believe what the package AND the people at IG told me. But for the sake of this public google-able thread and peace among Eagtac fans and all unbelievers and future/potential T20C2 buyers, i would ask for a clear statement from Eagtac. In your communication with them (email, phone call) point them (Dan, Christina, ..) to this CPF thread!

The company is in USA, the assemblers work in China, and we users dont know when, during the assembly, the label gets sticked onto the reflector. Let's not forget that the module is composed of a (mass-produced?) T20C2 MkII reflector, which can be easily unscrewed from the LED pill, and the LED pill. Maybe the label got sticked/glued to the reflector first before reflector and pill were screwed together, and the number of already-labeled reflectors outnumbered the number of U2-pills? This could explain the situation why some T20C2 MkII "modules" have the old label on the reflector.

However, i must admit. If the PILL has a U2 led, then the REFLECTOR should reflect it pun intended. This is called correct labeling and professional assembly!!

Last edited:

lebox97

Enlightened
Highlander you are getting your models and info confused:
1) we have been shipping out T20C2 XM-L U2 COOL models for several weeks now.
2) The G25C2 XM-L U2 COOL model is in process of getting a higher 3.0+ amp drive current to push it in excess of 1,000+ lumens - should be out soon! :grin2:
3) We did have G25C2 XM-L T6 NEUTRAL in stock - not T6 cool, there has never been a G25C2 T6 COOL model.
3) in another thread you mentioned the ET SZ25/MZ25 in the same vain - the SZ/MZ are new models which will be out later this year, not updates to the G25C2 or any other models.

EDIT: BTW yes, it is possible to get 1,000 lumens (750 OTF) on an 18650 = the Zebralight SC600 has been doing this since last year.

SHELM - double runttime with U2 vs T6? :thinking:
Should be about the same runtime AFAIK - the U2 is just a bit more efficient than T6 = 7%'ish more lumen output

Cheers
Tod

Also, I returned a light to illuminationgear 2 weeks ago, and I wanted to swap it for an Eagletac G25C2, with an XM-L U2. But, they said they didnt have any more XM-L U2 Eagletacs in stock, only XM-L T6 models. So I bought my G25C2 from Goinggear instead.

But illuminationgear told me that they were awaiting these new 1000+ Lumen Eagletac lights to come in, and made it seem they werent going to order more Of the current Eagletac models with the U2 in the mean time.

I think its a possibility that illuminationgear is still out of U2 models, as they are waiting for the new 1000+ lumen Eagletacs to come in, so they are trying to sell what they DO have, which are T6 models. But I cant explain why the box says U2 on it.

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened

I want to clarify a bit of misunderstanding that has arisen regarding a couple of Eagletac products, but must first preface that I hope that anything I write is not construed as disrespectful, disparaging, or embarrassing to anyone here, I only want to help the OP.

So as not to confuse "Multytasker", it seems that "HighlanderNorth" may be unaware that he's referring to two very different Eagletac products. While "Multytasker" is referring to his T20C2 MKII XM-L CW (cool white) drop-in module, "HighlanderNorth" is speaking of his experience with wanting to swap an exchanged light for a G25C2 XM-L U2 CW.

From what I gather in the context of his last post, "HighlanderNorth" doesn't realize that the XM-L T6 that Tod of Illumination Gear was referring to in regard to the G25C2, is not the XM-L U2's predecessor cool white emitter, rather it is an alternative to a cool white XM-L that Eagletac provided its dealers, which is an XM-L T6 neutral bin. Eagletac never offered an XM-L T6 cool white for the G26C2.

@
"Multytasker" Having known Tod, owner of Illumination Gear for a long time now, in addition to being a long-time flashlight-based products dealer who has earned a stellar reputation for his exceptional customer service, he also consistently demonstrates personal and business integrity.

About 18 months ago, I bought a T20C2 MKII XM-L when it first came out with the first iteration of T6, with 550 emitter lumens, but it came in a box labeled for the XPG-R5. As Tod explained it, Eagletac still had a glut of those boxes to use up. If I were in your position, I would accept Tod's explanation for the labeling issues as true. So even though the box says one thing and the module's label says another, unless Tod contacts you to clarify something, then rest assured it's a the U2 bin.

Best to all,
John

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
unless Tod contacts you to clarify something, then rest assured it's a the U2 bin.

Best to all,
John

+1 Amen.

In addition to that, i am going to assume that sooner or later the Eagtac factory will package and ship PROPERLY labeled modules?
:thinking:

lebox97

Enlightened
using a 3100mAh 18650 should give about 2 hours runtime,
using 2xCR123's will give you just over an hour runtime...
(using RCR123/16340 probably 45(?) minutes of runtime)
AFAIK there is no difference in runtimes between the XM-L T5/T6/U2 family...
YMMV :)

Cheers
Tod

Maybe i misunderstood the statement on your website ;)

snap597.png

Maltytasker

Newly Enlightened
If i were you, i would believe what the package AND the people at IG told me. But for the sake of this public google-able thread and peace among Eagtac fans and all unbelievers and future/potential T20C2 buyers, i would ask for a clear statement from Eagtac.

I did email Eagletac support, and their reply seems to support what illuminationGear told me: that they upgraded their modules to U2, and identify those models with a sticker. The reply didn't specifically state whether the sticker was placed on the module or the box, so I sent a follow up asking for more info on that. I'll post the reply when I receive it.

I've seen situations like this before, where an item was upgraded, and the only indication was a sticker or revised label on the packaging and nothing on the item itself, so I think it's a fairly common practice. I believe that Eagletac and illuminationGear are highly respectable companies and I would certainly tend to believe that I received what I ordered. That being said, I also think that Eagletac should take the extra step of correctly labeling the modules to ensure that they are properly identified. Their products are often purchased by enthusiasts who want the latest and greatest, and a situation like this will raise questions. In my case, I will often sell my older devices on eBay or elsewhere in order to help finance my newer purchases, and trying to sell this as a U2 might raise questions with buyers and negatively impact my feedback score.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying this light. It's beautifully made and seems of very high quality. I took it out last night and lit up the neighborhood. I hope I didn't alarm my neighbors in the process!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Highlander you are getting your models and info confused:
1) we have been shipping out T20C2 XM-L U2 COOL models for several weeks now.
2) The G25C2 XM-L U2 COOL model is in process of getting a higher 3.0+ amp drive current to push it in excess of 1,000+ lumens - should be out soon! :grin2:
3) We did have G25C2 XM-L T6 NEUTRAL in stock - not T6 cool, there has never been a G25C2 T6 COOL model.
3) in another thread you mentioned the ET SZ25/MZ25 in the same vain - the SZ/MZ are new models which will be out later this year, not updates to the G25C2 or any other models.

EDIT: BTW yes, it is possible to get 1,000 lumens (750 OTF) on an 18650 = the Zebralight SC600 has been doing this since last year.

SHELM - double runttime with U2 vs T6? :thinking:
Should be about the same runtime AFAIK - the U2 is just a bit more efficient than T6 = 7%'ish more lumen output

Cheers
Tod

Couple things, I didnt say that the T6 was cool in tint in my post there. I just said T6.

Also, when I called and spoke with someone there, I was told that they were out of the U2 versions, and they were waiting for a "new" eagletac light to come out which will run at around 1000Lumens. The person I spoke with only mentioned ONE new Eagletac light, and didnt mention the model number or give any other info. It was said as if it was to replace the G25C2 or something, and he said they would not be getting more U2 XM-L G25's in(770L model). Then I read where someone here mentioned a new Eagletac light with 1000+ lumens, and another with much more. So I assumed that must be the new 1000L model your employee was speaking of.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to clarify a bit of misunderstanding that has arisen regarding a couple of Eagletac products, but must first preface that I hope that anything I write is not construed as disrespectful, disparaging, or embarrassing to anyone here, I only want to help the OP.

So as not to confuse "Multytasker", it seems that "HighlanderNorth" may be unaware that he's referring to two very different Eagletac products. While "Multytasker" is referring to his T20C2 MKII XM-L CW (cool white) drop-in module, "HighlanderNorth" is speaking of his experience with wanting to swap an exchanged light for a G25C2 XM-L U2 CW.

From what I gather in the context of his last post, "HighlanderNorth" doesn't realize that the XM-L T6 that Tod of Illumination Gear was referring to in regard to the G25C2, is not the XM-L U2's predecessor cool white emitter, rather it is an alternative to a cool white XM-L that Eagletac provided its dealers, which is an XM-L T6 neutral bin. Eagletac never offered an XM-L T6 cool white for the G26C2.

@
"Multytasker" Having known Tod, owner of Illumination Gear for a long time now, in addition to being a long-time flashlight-based products dealer who has earned a stellar reputation for his exceptional customer service, he also consistently demonstrates personal and business integrity.

About 18 months ago, I bought a T20C2 MKII XM-L when it first came out with the first iteration of T6, with 550 emitter lumens, but it came in a box labeled for the XPG-R5. As Tod explained it, Eagletac still had a glut of those boxes to use up. If I were in your position, I would accept Tod's explanation for the labeling issues as true. So even though the box says one thing and the module's label says another, unless Tod contacts you to clarify something, then rest assured it's a the U2 bin.

Best to all,
John

I apologize if I misconstrued anything, but if you read my post, I didnt say anything about the XM-L T6 being a cool tinted LED. In fact, I was told that the T6 is neutral, so it is warmer than the "cooler" U2. Now that I have an Eagletac G25C2 with an XM-L U2, it is clear that it has a good color, which isnt too cool, and definitely isnt blue like the Lumapower D-Mini EX-2 I had returned there and tried to swap for the G25C2. In fact, to further back my statement, this time, when buying my new D25 A and C, I chose the neutral white T6 in BOTH lights..... That was over a week ago that I ordered it, and I got it today, and
they are yellowish, not cool.

Also, as far as what I mentioned in my post, I was just saying what I'd been told, as I wasnt given a model number for the new Eagletac light, so when I read about the 2 new Eagletacs soon coming out, which will be 1000+ lumens, I assumed one of them was the light I'd been told about at IG

Maltytasker

Newly Enlightened

@

This was one of the reasons I ordered from illuminationGear. I found very positive comments about Tod and his company, their prices were very competitive, and they offer USPS shipping which is much more economical to where I live than UPS or Fedex. And I have to say that his follow up to my question was very quick. He obviously cares about his customers a great deal.

BTW, it's "Maltytasker", not "Multytasker." Makes a world of difference! LOL ;)

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish there was a serial number printed on EagTac lights,
so we could look it up online and see exactly what emitter we got?