EDC - What's in Your Pocket(s)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
All those gats, did you ever "have to" shoot somebody? Your called crazy if you carry a knive in Germany.

After what happened in Germany not so long ago, I would think carrying a sidearm would be considered a good idea.

Warp

Enlightened
any reason why the last three guns were G-Locks?

Glocks are relatively inexpensive, common, easy to shoot, stone cold reliable, available in a variety of sizes and calibers, have a large aftermarket supply of holsters and accessories and use readily available, cheap, reliable magazines.

They are also extremely corrosion resistant.

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=40

http://www.teamglock.com/PistolInfo/pistolpage.htm

www.glocktalk.com

As for why people carry a gun: Violent crime happens. Every day. In every country. Why do not want to be able to defend yourself should you be the intended victim?

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
A lot of people don't see a "reason" to carry a gun until they are robbed at gunpoint, home invaded, carjacked, etc....

don't become a statistic....

www.nra.org

I try to avoid these debates but .. If you are robbed at gunpoint or carjacked how does carrying a gun help? Statistics show you are far more likely to be shot if you carry a gun. Home invasion is a different matter but that's not about EDC.

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
Very easy here, it's forbidden to carry a gun. To get this license you must be an endangered person.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
I try to avoid these debates but .. If you are robbed at gunpoint or carjacked how does carrying a gun help? Statistics show you are far more likely to be shot if you carry a gun. Home invasion is a different matter but that's not about EDC.

No, BS. Statistics do NOT show that. That is simply a cop out that anti 2nd amendment people spout out.

Or... Can you prove it? And by prove, I do NOT mean a link to stats on an anti firearm website fabricated by blowhards out to rob us of our Constitutional rights..

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
No, BS. Statistics do NOT show that. That is simply a cop out that anti 2nd amendment people spout out.

Or... Can you prove it? And by prove, I do NOT mean a link to stats on an anti firearm website fabricated by blowhards out to rob us of our Constitutional rights..

I am not American I have no interest in 2nd Amendment rights which incidentally do not allow concealed weapon carrying as far as I understand the US courts have said? I have nothing against gun ownership at all. I am curious if the figures don't agree with you, will you stop carrying?

I am in law enforcement and frequently have to carry a gun. I have trained with US law enforcement and several others worldwide. So I know how useless a firearm is as a self-defence weapon (it's a great weapon just not for what is ACTUALLY self defence). I also know that as a usefulness to weight ratio it's almost as useful as carrying rattlesnake anti venom in a US city.

I also am involved in cross border studies on international co-operation and my area of expertise is firearms. The Statistics do all show that worldwide the carriage of firearms significantly increases the risk. The US figures are easy to find from the National Violent Death Reporting System. However of course raw figures can be misleading as you will no doubt tell me. If you want studies on US crimes then I suppose the most independent is Clarke and Mayhew since they are a UK crime prevention company hired to try and reduce violent crime in the US, staying outside the US for independence we also have Martin Killias from the Lausaune University in Switzerland. US reputable studies not from anti gun campaigners are the University of California (K M Grassel, G J Wintemute, M A Wright and M P Romero) or the published works of McDowall D, Lofton C, Wiersema B. Easing in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology. There are loads of others. On the other hand there are none that show otherwise (other than the laughable and quickly discredited Lott and Mustard funded by the NRA). The easiest and most reliable figures (largest sample) to interpret are the Unversity of California from a study of over 215000 deaths. they found you were 2.4 times as likely to be the victim of a handgun murder as an unarmed person.

But the most damning figures of all against allowing carriage of guns is a comparison between the US and your close neighbour Canada. A higher percentage of the population in Canada own firearms than the US but they generally are not allowed to CCW. The US has 3 times the murder rate, twice the aggravated assault rate and over 1 and half times the robbery rate but overall crime levels are about the same.

Last edited:

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
How about we get back on topic. There is no need to turn this thread into a CCW and 2nd amendment debate. :thumbsup:

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
I am not American I have no interest in 2nd Amendment rights which incidentally do not allow concealed weapon carrying as far as I understand the US courts have said?
Can you show me where that has been said?

I have nothing against gun ownership at all. I am curious if the figures don't agree with you, will you stop carrying?
I do not carry, I am not allowed to carry in the state that I live in. People like you have taken away my Constitutional right to do so.
I also am involved in cross border studies on international co-operation and my area of expertise is firearms. The Statistics do all show that worldwide the carriage of firearms significantly increases the risk.
Where are the hard facts to back this assertion up? I asked for them, yet you have not provided them, why is that?
The US figures are easy to find from the National Violent Death Reporting System.
Show me, prove what you said.
However of course raw figures can be misleading as you will no doubt tell me.
I won't say that. I have not see any raw figures from you, BTW, so why even bring it up?
If you want studies on US crimes then I suppose the most independent is Clarke and Mayhew since they are a UK crime prevention company hired to try and reduce violent crime in the US, staying outside the US for independence we also have Martin Killias from the Lausaune University in Switzerland. US reputable studies not from anti gun campaigners are the University of California (K M Grassel, G J Wintemute, M A Wright and M P Romero) or the published works of McDowall D, Lofton C, Wiersema B. Easing in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology. There are loads of others. On the other hand there are none that show otherwise (other than the laughable and quickly discredited Lott and Mustard funded by the NRA). The easiest and most reliable figures (largest sample) to interpret are the Unversity of California from a study of over 215000 deaths. they found you were 2.4 times as likely to be the victim of a handgun murder as an unarmed person.
Again, you are pulling figures from the top of you head, not once have you shown one bit of empirical evidence to prove your point.

What you have done is equivalent to me saying "Elephants are only 4 inches tall, you can find proof by reading what the elephant hating hippies in California have said as well as a bunch of other propaganda authors and groups."

That isn't going to work here, we require evidence.
But the most damning figures of all against allowing carriage of guns is a comparison between the US and your close neighbour Canada. A higher percentage of the population in Canada own firearms than the US but they generally are not allowed to CCW. The US has 3 times the murder rate, twice the aggravated assault rate and over 1 and half times the robbery rate but overall crime levels are about the same.
And how is that the fault of carrying firearms? What you just said makes no sense whatsoever.
If I were to use your logic, I could get into a drug argument and say that Canada's murder rate is lower than the US because weed is legal there while illegal here. Pot lowers your murder rate, I just proved it!

Seriously, you have proven absolutely nothing. All you have done is shown your anti firearm mentality and how it sways you to proclaim BS that you can't prove.

worldedit

Enlightened
No matter why you carry the gun, to defend youself or to be cool. What does such a thing cost? Wont it be cheaper handing over your wallet than shooting the thief?

You gunslingers dont have to get aggressive. We wont touch your guns, just keep them away from us defenceless people.

Last edited:

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
No matter why you carry the gun, to defend youself or to be cool. What does such a thing cost? Wont it be cheaper handing over your wallet than shooting the thief?

Yeah, cause the only thing that happens is your wallet gets stolen.

Keep pulling the wool over your eyes, don't pay attention to the other crimes happening everyday, from rape- to forcing a woman to perform oral sex on her toddler son, then multilating her. THINGS LIKE THIS DON'T HAPPEN IN YOUR FAIRY TALE WORLD, HUH?

Why did you buy a car that has $2,000 worth of safety equipment in it? You'll never get into a car accident either, now will you?

Sheep.

worldedit

Enlightened
Yeah, cause the only thing that happens is your wallet gets stolen.

Keep pulling the wool over your eyes, don't pay attention to the other crimes happening everyday, from rape- to forcing a woman to perform oral sex on her toddler son, then multilating her. THINGS LIKE THIS DON'T HAPPEN IN YOUR FAIRY TALE WORLD, HUH?

Why did you buy a car that has $2,000 worth of safety equipment in it? You'll never get into a car accident either, now will you?

Sheep.

I dont even know anybody who has been robbed. Those things happen, but its more likely to win millions in the lottery. If its different where you live, i wouldnt want to be there. Do you really think a gun is a safety equipment? Why dont you get youself a bullet proof west?

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
I dont even know anybody who has been robbed.
Either do I. I also don't know anyone who had their house burn down, so should I get rid of my smoke detectors???

Those things happen, but its more likely to win millions in the lottery.
Prove it. Let's see the odds.

If its different where you live, i wouldnt want to be there.
It's the same through out the country
Do you really think a gun is a safety equipment?
I know it is, as does anyone else with an IQ larger than their shoe size.

A bat, a knife, mace, keys, etc. etc. can all be used as safety equipment in a bad situation.

Why dont you get youself a bullet proof west?
Do you mean vest? If so, I have one (job requirement).

A vest is a very intrusive device, VERY. A sidearm is something that most people will forget is there, it fits in well.

I have seat belts and air bags in my car, but I do not wear a helmet or have a roll cage. Same difference.

worldedit

Enlightened
You miss my point (and my iq). To carry a gun would make me feel save to. But to standing next to someone who has a gun gives me the creeps. I dont have to proof anything to you, im telling my opinion. Why are you so aggressive? Cant you dicuss something without offending me?

Warp

Enlightened

Those statistics are complete and utter bullcrap.

Do you know how often the person who hands over the wallet is then shot? What if they don't want the wallet, what if they want to rape your wife/daughter? What if they want to kill you?

Do you know how often something like this happens?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH3z7H4S-XI

The robber shoots the clerk point blank three times FOR NO REASON just before leaving.

Or how about this?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/11/parlor.attack.ap/index.html

Beating the hell out of four grandmothers with a hammer for no reason. Yeah, just give them the wallet and you'll be okay. SUUURE thing.

You miss my point (and my iq). To carry a gun would make me feel save to. But to standing next to someone who has a gun gives me the creeps.

That's your problem.

I grew up in Indiana, where 1 out of every 16 adults is licensed to carry a handgun. I now live in GA, where there are quite a few gun owners as well.

I am not American I have no interest in 2nd Amendment rights which incidentally do not allow concealed weapon carrying as far as I understand the US courts have said?
No, they have no said that. "the right to keep and bare arms"

I have nothing against gun ownership at all. I am curious if the figures don't agree with you, will you stop carrying?
I wouldn't, because the only way the figures won't agree is if they do not represent reality. Criminals ALWAYS have and ALWAYS will injure, rape, main, torture and kill other people. You and you alone bear ultimate responsibilty for your personal safety.

So I know how useless a firearm is as a self-defence weapon (it's a great weapon just not for what is ACTUALLY self defence). I also know that as a usefulness to weight ratio it's almost as useful as carrying rattlesnake anti venom in a US city.

:crackup::crackup:

http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html

The Statistics do all show that worldwide the carriage of firearms significantly increases the risk. .

No. The way it works is that criminals are more likely to arm themselves, and criminals are more likely to be shot.

Why don't you look at only those who LEGALLY carry a gun, with a clean criminal record, who are do not participate in criminal activity, and see what happens.

BS. Canadadians do not own more guns. Keep in mind that nobody knows exactly how many guns are in the US because most of them do not have to be registered (which only leads to confiscation)

Also: Please, please show me proof that a measurable % of those crimes are committed by people LAWFULLY carrying a handgun.

US Citizens licensed to carry a handgun have a lower arrest rate than off duty police officers. The people lawfully carrying handguns are not the ones committing the violent crimes!

Pick up "More Guns, Less Crime" or "The Bias against Guns" by doctor John Lott.

http://gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/4.0/GunFacts4-0-Screen.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.