Electrical Question - Need Help ASAP.

bruner

Enlightened
On our pop-up camper there are several 12 volt auto lamps. One is an outdoor light and then there are two overhead lights inside the camper.

I would like to add a dimmer to each of them. So, I'm looking for a potentiometer at Radio Shack and the guy there tells me that this one should work...

It's a 25-Ohm Rheostat Wirewound Variable Resistor 3 watt 20% Tolerance.

This thing is the perfect size, but will it work? Is this the best way to go about it? I don't want anything that is going to get hot and be a potential fire hazard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to accomplish these mods over this weekend before a big camping trip starting in the middle of next week.

Thanks,
Dan

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're stuck with the rheostat if you don't have much time to do the job right. It will get hot so the placement is important. And how hot depends on how much current the lights draw. Your other option is to use PWM or triac based but that requires some work. Long term, I'd convert the lamps to LEDs but that's another topic by itself.

bruner

Enlightened
Thanks for the fast response CM.

You are right. It gets hot. Too hot for me to feel comfortable using it. I gave up measuring the temperature when it almost reached 200 F.

I'm going to pass on this mod for now.

I've seen other folks on www.popupexplorer.com forum use LED's. I think I'll look into that down the road.

Thanks again CM,
Dan

:)