Eneloop long term trickle charging.....not a good idea.

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
At work we put these Eneloop AA's (2nd generation purchased in 2012) into our Maha MD-C204f to charge and would rarely use them and then put them back, that was two years ago . I put them in the Maha 9000 today and two of them would not even register. I put them in my Energizer 15 minute charger (this one will not charge marginal cells) and it refused to charge any of them. It looks like long term trickle charging is not a good idea with these. The charger also is not charging the cells individually but in pairs. At home I use some Panasonic bq-390 chargers (individual charging) and only charge my Eneloops when needed (never trickle charging) and I got over 6 years of use out of my 1st generation Eneloops. Anyone studied long term trickle charging Eneloops besides me?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Robstorch,

When Eneloop cells first came out the only ones that quickly failed were those that were left on the charger and trickle charged. I use a hobby charger for battery packs and it has a "forming" charge that is designed to pulse a charge over a long period of time to bring all the cells into balance. I had a 9 cell battery pack and after charging thought I would leave it forming for a day. It was around 8 hours later that I could hear something going on and realized that the cells were just to the point where they were starting to vent. I shut the charger down. Fortunately I caught the problem before major damage was done and the battery pack still works fine. I have altered my charging procedure and now only use the forming charge for 2 hours or so.

In addition I have had several friends complain that the Eneloop cells I had highly recommended had failed for them. When I pressed for more information I discovered that they were "storing" the cells in the charger and let them trickle charge for weeks at a time.

Bottom line is when LSD cells have finished charging, remove them from the charger.

Tom

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use any charger that comes to hand never trickle or fast charge(hour type) and my cells Eneloop or type are perfectly good after 9 years of service in the oldest case.Rarely have i had to throw out cells and i add new when i get a deal or see a bargain.

Etsu

Enlightened
I use any charger that comes to hand never trickle or fast charge(hour type) and my cells Eneloop or type are perfectly good after 9 years of service in the oldest case.Rarely have i had to throw out cells and i add new when i get a deal or see a bargain.

9 years? That's pretty good, considering Eneloops have only been around just over 8 years. Of course, since you've been trolling around for the past few days, you probably knew that.

mojo-chan

Newly Enlightened
If you bother to read the datasheet or Panasonic's guide to charging NiMH cells they both tell you not to trickle charge indefinitely. A simple case not RTFM.

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for confirming extended trickle charging is not good for Eneloops. I had never seen it discussed here before.

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
Inetdog, I think you are the newbie since you just joined here in 2013, I have been here since 2005. Silverfox summed up trickle charging very nicely thank you.