eneloop vs Powerex?

tbenedict

Enlightened
If the SC51 doesn't seem as bright as normal, clean the contacts and make sure the tail is snug. You wouldn't think this would affect the brightness much, but it does on these.

bbb74

Enlightened
Incidentally I am using the 2400 LSD Imidion in my Zebralight, and somebody commented that the Imidion is higher internal resistance than enellops, I wonder if this is why I notice little difference between this highest high setting, and the lowest. I think the lowest is around 100 lumen, and the highest is 200, well it's definitely not twice as bright. I'd wager 50% brighter, but not twice as bright.

Mine is the same - little difference between H1 and H2 - small enough that sometimes I can't even tell any difference. I should try it with an eneloop and see if that makes a diff.

cad3

Newly Enlightened
One of the distinguishing characteristics I've added to my list of things to check to determine the quality of a cell is its expected cumulative lifetime capacity.

In this, standard "1500" cycle Eneloops even beat the XX Eneloops by 2.4x, which seems the better value to me than the 1.25x capacity per charge.

So you think it's better to have 3 sets of the "1500" cycle vs. 2 sets of XX Eneloops for a camera flash? Value for money, longevity, price, etc. I know there are a LOT of factors and 3 sets give (nominally (2000x3) 6000 vs. (2500x2) 5000. But then you have extra weight, etc. On the other hand, you have recycle time of the flash.

I'm looking at what rechargeable to use with my Canon 580 EX II camera flash, and back-up flash (580 EX). Thanks for any input you provide!

Wrend

Enlightened
So you think it's better to have 3 sets of the "1500" cycle vs. 2 sets of XX Eneloops for a camera flash?

Yes, I do. I even think it's better (in a way) to have 1 set of the "1500" cells than 2 sets of the XX cells.

The determining factor of what you need is how long you need the cells to run for on one charge. But as far as that goes, I think it's better to have extra charged sets ready to use than cells that only offer a marginally longer run time and cost twice as much. I don't really consider weight to be much of a real issue unless you're carrying around 100s of cells, of course.

pweber

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, I just bought 8 Imedion C cells and now I'm starting to worry that I'd wasted money. Aren't Imedion the same as Powerex? Anyone have any experience with the larger C-cells? I think mine are 5000mAh.

bbb74

Enlightened
Hmm, I just bought 8 Imedion C cells and now I'm starting to worry that I'd wasted money. Aren't Imedion the same as Powerex? Anyone have any experience with the larger C-cells? I think mine are 5000mAh.

Imedions are made by Maha, which also makes Powerex.

I haven't used Imedion C size, but have got AA and AAA Imedions and they have been excellent. Higher capacity than eneloops and have been very tough so far. They're still doing really well after about 100 cycles, although eneloops would probably do very slightly better at this point with less variability. I wouldn't say you have wasted your money.

CyberCT

Enlightened
My vote would be to go with the Imedion 2400 MAH AA cells. On Amazon, if you buy a 16 pack, the are roughly equivelat dollar for dollar to the eneloop AAs.

After testing my eneloops and Imedions in both my high powered Fenix lights (TK41, TK45) and charger that reads overall MAH (Maha C9000), the Imedions last about 14% longer than eneloops on turbo mode in all my tests. The Imedions average something like 2320 MAH though, not 2400 MAH as advertised. My eneloops average around 1990 MAH. From extensive tests done by other users as mentioned above (including LSD tests), the Imedions are great batteries and with the dollar cost roughly the same and I can't recommend eneloops over them.

I have 8 Imedions (just bought the 16 pack, in the mail) and I have 32 eneloops.

Last edited:

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened

It's slim pickings for quality NiMH C or D cells. Bought a few of each the Imedion (Low Self Discharge)and the Powerex (not LSD) in both sizes and they perform fine for me. Also bought 9V Imedions. I don't do all the extravagant testing others do so I can't really attest to their quality versus another brand or quote mAh stats. They might not be the absolute best performer or the best for the buck but I think there is a level of trust there that few can match.

The Maha AA and AAA are made in Japan and the C, D & 9V cells are made in Taiwan. For AA and AAA being made in Japan is generally good and being made in China or Taiwan is not. Not sure how the C, D and 9V production varies from the AA and AAA sizes. Doesn't surprise me they are not 'up to snuff' compared to the AA and AAA just based on where they are made.

They probably aren't worth the cost but your options are limited. Tenergy might be the best 'bang for the buck'. AccuEvolution brand has apparently tailed off in quality. The Maha's are about as good as anything just more expensive.

Last edited:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
FWIW I use the Imedion 2400s and Eneloops. I don't tend to use them in ultra-high-drain devices but I find the Imedions DO have the higher capacity as claimed and tested on these forums. The Eneloops are excellent at keeping their capacity over time, so I am happy with both. The MAIN problem with both these cells is that their packaging (i.e. outer battery cover) falls apart or gets torn far too easily. So WELL short of their 500+ cycle life they become dangerous as their conductive metal shell becomes exposed after 30 or 50 uses. They are still great value for money, IMHO.

Latest posts