Eneloops - Made in USA?

tbarton84

Newly Enlightened
I know they are made in Japan and China but I was recently looking into buying some more for my headlamps/flashlights and I saw on walmart.com it said in the description:

Assembled in Country of Origin: USA
Origin of Components: USA

Just curious of any are made here since Sanyo is owned by Panasonic? I know they are both Japanese companies but just thought it was interesting.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic...p-2-x-AA-Batteries-and-2-Spacers-Kit/39111787

gallon

Newly Enlightened
No. Eneloops are made at one place, Japan. Panasonic is also sourcing batteries from China and calling those eneloops, but they are not true eneloops.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know they are made in Japan and China but I was recently looking into buying some more for my headlamps/flashlights and I saw on walmart.com it said in the description:

Just curious of any are made here since Sanyo is owned by Panasonic? I know they are both Japanese companies but just thought it was interesting.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic...p-2-x-AA-Batteries-and-2-Spacers-Kit/39111787

Maybe the USA part is the spacers that are included in the package, so they get to call the whole package made in USA?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simply put, I wouldn't rely on any information you find published by Walmart. That's NOT to say that this isn't an interesting find, LOL!

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
Perhaps I am not looking the the right place, but I couldn't see any reference to country of origin:

Item Description
The Panasonic K-KJS2MCA2BA eneloop 2 x AA Batteries and 2 Spacers Kit provides you with increased power for high-drain devices.

Panasonic K-KJS1MCA2BA eneloop 2 x AA Batteries and 2 Spacers Kit:
Increased power for high-drain devices
Rechargeable up to 2,100x
Pre-charged and ready to use
Retains 65 percent to 70 percent capacity after 5 years
No memory effect
Can be charged when partially drained
Includes 2 x AA batteries and 2 x D spacer packs
Do you have questions about this product? Ask a question.

Specifications
Model No.: K-KJS1MCA2BA
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 0.177
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 1.375 x 8.0 x 4.75
Walmart No.: 553087615

Where should I be looking?

UserName

Newly Enlightened
There are presently known, for fact, to be made in Japan eneloops, and made in China eneloops.
Made in China eneloops have been shown to be the worst of the two.

If there are in fact made in USA eneloops, my expectation is that the made in China ones would become the second worst, although I'd love for my expectation to be proven wrong.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Isn't there some suspicion that the new Duracell Iron Core NiNH are rebranded Eneloops?

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Thanks, Rosoku, I was aware NLee's review but hadn't seen the thread here. The case seems pretty strong, looking at that thread. This is good news for all Eneloop lovers, including me.

That's interesting that you can't get them in Japan even though they're made there. I'm from California and have been in both rural Alaska and on Hawaii in the past few months and there's no problem getting them here.

FWIW, my measurements of capacity of the AA ones are very similar to what unknownVT got using my SkyRC 2500 charger/analyzer. I have yet to try the AAA's but I expect I will soon.

Last edited:

tbarton84

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps I am not looking the the right place, but I couldn't see any reference to country of origin:

Where should I be looking?

About half way down the page. The specifications on mine say:

[h=3]Specifications[/h]

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
About half way down the page. The specifications on mine say:

Specifications

Well, this is unusual. When I click on your original link, it takes me here. On that Walmart page, I seem to be seeing (mostly?) the same thing that you are seeing, but under specifications it makes no mention of country of origin. Here is an actual screen shot:

I cannot say that I have ever experienced such a thing before. Do I need to click somewhere to enable "show country of origin" in my browser? Can anyone else see "country of origin" on the page in question?

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Eneloops are made at one place, Japan. Panasonic is also sourcing batteries from China and calling those eneloops, but they are not true eneloops.

Yes they are true Eneloops if made or authorised by the device owner so stop your scare mongering.:eek:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this is unusual. When I click on your original link, it takes me here. On that Walmart page, I seem to be seeing (mostly?) the same thing that you are seeing, but under specifications it makes no mention of country of origin. Here is an actual screen shot:

I cannot say that I have ever experienced such a thing before. Do I need to click somewhere to enable "show country of origin" in my browser? Can anyone else see "country of origin" on the page in question?

I don't know what's going on, either, but I can share that I seem to have two separate pages loading from the same link; I wonder if Walmart's site and/or servers are...odd?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic...p-2-x-AA-Batteries-and-2-Spacers-Kit/39111787 takes me to a page that shows the same information as posted above by tbarton84, but that same link in his original post has also taken me to the page that you show in your screenshot.

I don't know, but I suspect it's something to do with Walmart, not your browser.

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
I don't know what's going on, either, but I can share that I seem to have two separate pages loading from the same link; I wonder if Walmart's site and/or servers are...odd?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic...p-2-x-AA-Batteries-and-2-Spacers-Kit/39111787 takes me to a page that shows the same information as posted above by tbarton84, but that same link in his original post has also taken me to the page that you show in your screenshot.

I don't know, but I suspect it's something to do with Walmart, not your browser.

Thanks. I still don't see any origin info on any of the pages linked, but at least I now know that something is going on over at Walmart.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
He really should have said, "good eneloops are made in Japan. Only". There are poor Chinese Eneloops as well, that perform with half the number of cycles as the Japanese ones.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be really nice if there is a supply of good quality NiMH cells made in the US.

Why does it matter, as long as you can get the Japanese Eneloops?

That's what trade is all about. You buy the best quality/value stuff from somewhere else, and they get your bits of paper (currency) in exchange. Then, the only thing they can do with that paper is to buy something from where you live, and in exchange you get your bits of paper back.

IMO, I would not trust any place other than Japan to produce quality Eneloops (or other LSD cells) for the foreseeable future. It takes years to get manufacturing processes up to that kind of quality. Maybe someday the Chinese Eneloops will be of equal quality, but it won't be soon. Same goes for anywhere Panasonic decides to switch production to.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't the Japanese eneloops at one time have a graphic of a CROWN on the batt?