Exotic Materials

Legohaulic

Newly Enlightened
Howdy, a few quick questions on exotic materials, specifically Mokume Gane. Would it be best suited to use a brass pill in a mokume body for heat dispersion, or what is the best suited material as I'm unfamiliar with mokumes ability to dissipate heat.

My second question is who is currently working on builds using mokume? Other than material, is there anything prep wise that needs to be done before working on it? I'm far from starting to machine my own lights, so if anyone is making bodies, that would be appreciated.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several making Mokume and exotic torches currently. The first that pops into my head is Tim, DeFabricata on these pages. Look up on facebook, TM Design & Fabrication. He does fantastic work.

Are you gearing up to do this? If you've not made any torches from scratch, make at least a half dozen in aluminum, then a few in brass/ aluminum bronze, and at least one in Titanium. Then you'd be close to ready on what to expect from a multi-material torch

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this case I don't see why the host material would affect what the pill material should be. In general I'd say just consider Mokume to be similar to Brass with regards to the thermals. Maybe a little better but then you'll see differences between 2 and 3 alloy Mokume.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. Aluminum and copper will be optimal choices for removable pills, but "best" will have other criteria to look at. Size of the light, size of the pill, is it a screw in pill, or an engine section of a body that houses the electronics and is not removable without soldering.

I can think of at lease 6 makers using mokume now, all with removable engines.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Candlepowerforums mobile app