Extended Hurricane Outage (1 Week)

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
Hmm. I guess I'm a little more inclined towards tea lights since besides them being cheap and versatile -two traits I like- I also tend to be almost paranoid about candle safety. Like, not leaving them unsupervised, having them in a raised nonflammable container with water, not carrying them around while lit, etc. This probably skews my perception of others' safety with candles a bit.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are preparing for our yearly hurricane season again. Often we get power outages ranging from a few days to about a week or two.

Some desired characteristics are:
  • a loop handle
  • primary batteries (non-rechargeable)
  • I have no access to power during the outage
  • power consumption is obviously an issue but I can stock up on batteries

also we are looking for some lanterns where battery life is more important since they will be on when the sun is down. I noticed UST 30-day duro lantern may be a good fit but I am not fixed on it.

Frankly I am overwhelmed by the technical detail here on flashlights and so wonder if some obvious recommendations can be made. Thank you!

Don't sweat the flashlight mumbo-jumbo, you're in survival mode during a hurricane outage and nobody's going to care about whether your new Okyluma is the poop, or not.

I'm in Miami and went 84 hours without power during Irma last September, but I had water, which is to me is more important than power, if you have to be without of one for shorter periods. I could shower at will during the sweltering days AND flush my toilets. Winning MAGA.

I'm in a condo and have a small Harbor Freight Storm Cat 900w generator and while I can't use it due to 02 killing everybody around me, I fired it up one day to grind some coffee beans, so that's where my priorities were.

I've had survival preps dialed for the past six years.

Here are my takes:

Go to a Dollar Store and buy those little clear cup candles for a dollar, the ones with about 4-5oz. of wax in them, not the votive/tea candles, but they need to be in clear vessels without any labels blocking the light. Get a bunch, because unless you're painting tin soldiers, or sewing something, 3-4 candles around a moderately sized room should be sufficient for navigating and seeing what's what. They burn slowly and are safe even if you knock them around.

I have all sorts of lanterns--propane, white gas, 6v, AA/D and the like, but the only reason I ever needed to fire one up was when I wanted to laugh at my unprepared neighbors using their stupid phones for seeing in the dark, otherwise it was just a flashlight, or the candles.

Next up and this is important:

You'll need some fans, if just to circulate the air around your hot behinds. 02 Cool sells a 10", 2 speed 12v/9v jobbie that takes 8/6 D batteries depending on the iteration. I have one of each. They come with 12v/9v barrel connectors inputs, so you can use 12v lead acid batteries with an appropriate connector. Just stock up on D batteries, since the fans are low drain and 8 D batteries last 2 plus days on high, longer on low.

For cooking, get 1-2 of those Coleman single burner propane stoves, that fit on the 1# Coleman bottles. These will let you heat up whatever you want. A $25 Char-Broil propane BBQ will also let you cook meats and such. The fuel is the same, so spend money on those. Get a pour over coffee maker, or standard tea kettle if you indulge in either. Your $3,000 Jurra whiz-bang espresso maker won't be working, nor will your $16 Mr. Coffee.

If your water goes out, but you have access to fresh water like I do (I live on a lake/canal system), get a couple of Sawyer Mini/Squeeze 1 water filters. They won't filter out viruses, but this is America, not some 3rd world stink hole. You just want to get the bacteria out of the water. Have buckets handy for storing water for the toilets. Bass Pro Shops sell Sawyer filters and they're not expensive. Google 'gravity bucket system'.

Canned goods like soups, stews and chilis are good, as well as dry goods. Remember extra water for cooking/cleaning.

Don't fixate on illumination, as that's probably the least of your worries.

Chris

Last edited:

maglite mike

Enlightened
I love how over-prepared we are. Seriously, I expect to get 100+ hours of run time out of my 4D maglite with 1/2 watt LED (arguably one of the *least* efficient lights I have simply because it doesn't have a lower mode). That's more than a week of solid use from sun down to sun up (way more than I'd ever actually use it). If I'm ever without power for that long, I will have already pulled out the generator or moved to where there's still power.

Looking at my current stash of batteries, I have enough to go for more than a year without recharging or replacing anything. Throw my solar charger into the mix and I can run indefinitely...and yet here I am thinking about purchasing more lights/batteries/etc even though I've never involuntarily been without power for more than 2 days in my entire life.

This is why the rest of the world thinks we're crazy.

--flatline
Agreed. I worked around the clock during hurricane Sandy and I personally didn't need to replace many batteries since I had 2 Maglite ML 125s rechargeable lights. I was able to keep one battery recharging with the the generator or vehicle at all times. I kept C Alkalines handy in case. I gave my staff cheap head lamps and a few were provided maglite 3 d cell leds. They went through a ton of batteries.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. I worked around the clock during hurricane Sandy and I personally didn't need to replace many batteries since I had 2 Maglite ML 125s rechargeable lights. I was able to keep one battery recharging with the the generator or vehicle at all times. I kept C Alkalines handy in case. I gave my staff cheap head lamps and a few were provided maglite 3 d cell leds. They went through a ton of batteries.

Yeah, lighting was pretty far down the list of priorities during Sandy and the blizzard that followed in the North East. No oil or electric heat/freezing pipes, no water for people with electric wells, not way to cook if you had a electric stove/oven and after a couple days, no fuel for vehicles or generators.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In my house we just do what Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and millions of others did before the all night generator.

They made it. It's like urban camping to my family.
The only time we struggled was the Irene storm because I had not hoarded enough cash. We did ok, but I was down to $50 before the lights came back on.

In Issabel there were lines of literally thousands of people waiting on a rumored truck load of ice.

Meanwhile shelves were bursting with canned food, chips, charcoal and a bunch of other stuff that nobody thought about.

And just like in the 1930's we went to a nearby movie theatre for air conditioning.

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened
I have a Suntastics solar charger that works pretty well. I have allot of cells so pre-charging them before an incoming storm is pretty good.

Other than that, I have a small generator that i fire up that can support normal charging and keep a fridge and freezer running. I have a larger generator that will run the AC and more stuff as well, but didn't even use it when the power was out for Harvey. I'll probably fire it up and sell it for this storm season.

As for the lantern discussion, there are a few options for that as well. If you have a P60 style light, solarforce used to make a lantern that screwed into the bezel. That works pretty well, but even cheaper is finding a shampoo bottle and using it as a diffuser for a lantern. There are a few shampoo bottles that the opening fits my DC25A perfectly. If you have kids, you can cut the neck off the little smoothie bottles to work with any light bezel. Thats what i use on my favorite P60. Anyway, there are plenty of options there for making a regular flashlight into a lantern.

BTW, the subumbra thread mentioned above is golden as well for prepping for any disaster. Lots of good information in there.

roach1492

Newly Enlightened
I think i should be set on light,i have an Anker 8w and 21w portable solar. Probably more power banks than i need i like my USB battery chargers.I got some USB lights off Amazon that look like light bulbs they work pretty good too.I rebuilt an old pitcher pump to hook up to the well if need be.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Just looking through old threads, I discovered that the amazon link was broken in my post #10, so I added a photo. I used that gadget to make my power port, always live/hot so that my cell phone can be charged with the key off, or engine not running.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
We are preparing for our yearly hurricane season again. Often we get power outages ranging from a few days to about a week or two.

Some desired characteristics are:
  • a loop handle
  • primary batteries (non-rechargeable)
  • I have no access to power during the outage
  • power consumption is obviously an issue but I can stock up on batteries

also we are looking for some lanterns where battery life is more important since they will be on when the sun is down. I noticed UST 30-day duro lantern may be a good fit but I am not fixed on it.

Frankly I am overwhelmed by the technical detail here on flashlights and so wonder if some obvious recommendations can be made. Thank you!

1- Defiant's skinny lantern (2 for $14.99 at Walmart, it used to be at Home Depot) is phenomenal. Invest in Lithium AAA and AA batteries.

2- Wear a Nitecore Tube light on a lanyard, have a backup. Keep at least one EDC (everyday carry) light on you and in your vehicle at all times.

3- Check out any Suntactics solar panel at their site. Their S-14 charges at wall speed.

4- A headlamp is invaluable.

5- Also check out the WakaWaka Power.

6- Remember the Rule of 3's: 3 minutes without air or you die; 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. You Must stock up on water and then nonperishable food.

7- Bring a Go bag to work.

8- Also prestock an INCH (I'm never coming home) bag.

9- The links Poppy and others mentioned are invaluable.

10- Make a list with a timeline: one day at a time!