Fat bikes

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! I wen't for a nice 10+ mile trail ride this past weekend and had a blast! I had it completely caked in mud by the end of the ride. Really wanted to get a pic of it, but by the time I got home, it was dark and I wanted to get it washed off ASAP. I rode through some mud that my friends on "regular" mountain bikes had no chance of making it through. Felt like I was mud bogging in a 4X4!
Sweet:)

dhunley1

Enlightened
20161002_111604_zpsmbqhbozj.jpg

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! I wen't for a nice 10+ mile trail ride this past weekend and had a blast! I had it completely caked in mud by the end of the ride. Really wanted to get a pic of it, but by the time I got home, it was dark and I wanted to get it washed off ASAP. I rode through some mud that my friends on "regular" mountain bikes had no chance of making it through. Felt like I was mud bogging in a 4X4!
THAT is AWESOME!! Fat bikes are such a blast to ride!! I grin like an idiot, every time I ride mine.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome bikes in this thread! Good stuff. I don't have a fatbike yet but have been having a blast on a couple bikes I bought in the last couple years.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i want one, but i have no room for 3rd bike, in the appt. i have my eyes on motobecane, boris x7. maybe when\if i get rid of one, i'll replace it with fatbike,

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
i want one, but i have no room for 3rd bike, in the appt. i have my eyes on motobecane, boris x7. maybe when\if i get rid of one, i'll replace it with fatbike,

Haha same here. I have two upside down in my apartment living room right now and I don't think I want to add a third at this point.

dhunley1

Enlightened
Lol. Back when I was living in an apartment, I had two bikes, so I can relate. I still have two, but I'm thinking about adding a third in the spring. I have a Specialized Crosstrail for riding around town and such, and the Fatboy for winter and beach riding, but I'd really like to get a full suspension mountain bike.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha offgridled!

Yeah I have a hardtail and a cross bike. In some ways I sort of wish I got a full suspension bike but oh well. I don't do anything too extreme anyway!

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha offgridled!

Yeah I have a hardtail and a cross bike. In some ways I sort of wish I got a full suspension bike but oh well. I don't do anything too extreme anyway!
But if you had that full suspension bike you'll be out tearing it up. So bye bye couch:)
Bought a new siberian husky puppy so my gf is getting me a bike for xmas to cruise with the puppy. I'm looking at either the cannondale quick 4 or cannondale bad boy 4. What's your guys thoughts on these bikes? I can use some help!!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! Well they're in the same general class and price range so not too many huge differences. One is that the Bad Boy has mechanical disc brakes whereas the Quick has the more standard brakes. Both of my bikes have disc brakes. The mountain bike has hydraulic ones which are heaven to me haha. The cross bike has mechanical disc brakes which work fine but are not as nice (force required at the handlebars, modulation ability, etc.). A lot of those features are not as necessary when off trails though in my opinion. The question is whether the standard brakes are better than the mechanical disc brakes and that I don't know the answer to since I've never ridden a decent bike without disc brakes of some kind.

If the disc brakes are more expensive than the other style perhaps the other components on the Quick are nicer to make up for that cost differential. If you ride in mostly nice weather then disc brakes might not really be much of an advantage at all, so it might be worth going with the Quick if that is indeed true about the other components.

I looked at the gear ranges and they are identical so that choice isn't a huge difference either. When I started riding the cross bike I was surprised at how tough it was to go up hills until I got used to it because it's geared differently than the mountain bike that I already had. But in this case they are both similar and offer a pretty wide range of gears including some good low end ones for steep hills.

I think the difference between 8 gears in the rear and 9 isn't big either really (again unless the components are drastically different). I haven't had experience with the specific shifters and derailleurs on those bikes so it might be worth googling a bit to see if there are any drastic differences between them or anything like that. I get really frustrated when the shifting doesn't work nicely (which is partially why I didn't like my old Huffy bike and didn't ride until I got a better bike) so if you might be like that then it might be worth seeing which bike's components are better in that regard. But it's possible that they are both pretty similar which would make sense since they're priced similarly.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much that helped and I am by no means an expert! But it might be some things that are useful for you to think about. Oh, and sometime you might want to upgrade the seat if you start going on long rides. That made all the difference in the world for me along with wearing the dorky shorts haha. :) Congratulations on the dog and I hope you have a blast with the bike! Let us know if you have any other questions and maybe I can dig in deeper regarding the components sometime later on if you want me to take a better look at them.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
B9
That's a really incredible answer and helps a lot. I've never really had a bike like this before I've had a trek beach cruiser that's it! I'm going to buy an attachment for the husky to run along side the bike. It's a whole new experience for me. I'm too lazy to run anymore and not afraid to say that at all. Lol. I've looked at the ghost and cannondale bikes just on line. I'm thinking of going to my local REI dealer to check them out but wanted to research some before I go. I've considered the fat tire bikes from the same bike manufacturers. I'm open to any suggestion of bikes based on riding with my dog. Mainly on streets and the roads at my cabin that's in the national forest so dirt also. Cabin area is hilly and ruts in the road after snow and rain so I must consider this. I guess 80% street 20% off road . I'm turning 57 so don't kill me . Lol.....I have a 35 year old gf that's hard enough to keep up with. Lmao. Thanks for your suggestions!!

upload an image

Last edited: