Favorite budget light 2023

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Dad's old Incan 2D that he gave me that I finally got around to fixing up. Warm Yuji and reflector and glass from Kai Domain. Hours and hours of hi cri light and loads of nostalgia.

Attachments

• IMG_3621.jpeg
    IMG_3621.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3622.jpeg
    IMG_3622.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I haven't had them very long but the choice is easy, convoy T3 and T4. T4 if I have to pick just one. I bought them to keep in the truck for backup, but before stashing them in there with L91's I'm playing around with them as an EDC to make sure they're good to go.

I've come to like both lights so much I may buy a couple more. The T4 would be perfect to give to folks in need of a light, and with the programming options you could have a great easy to use setup for someome without them having to fuss with complicated modes and they'd have excellent 519a light quality in AA format.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I'll tell you when it arrives but the if23 looks amazing for 30 bucks shiped

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to add earlier the ThruNite Saber neutral 1xAA, mine came with a nice USB-C rechargeable 14500 for ~$19.99, but works very well on an Eneloop as well. The Saber model has a removable AA, they also have a similar "Archer" model with a built in USB cell. The Saber is a very nice light with only two modes, on a Nimh the modes are about 25lm and 200+lm. Has room for longer button top 14500 cells like the Vapcell F12. Runtimes per lumen on Nimh are also great, better than some of the popular lights right now. I prefer a reflector and a Nichia, but the optic does a good job outdoors and has better throw than the triples that are so popular right now.

Zero-Air has a review:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i hope its the if23 ill keep you updated soon as i get it. but it has what i enjoy

raymond~

Newly Enlightened
Received a pair of Sofirn IF23 from aliexpress (only 13 days to Seattle) and the UI is simple and easy to navigate. One goes to my brother and natch, I get the other.

quest4_pfct_xxx

Newly Enlightened
Ok, it's April and I bought my 1st budget light(s) this yearView attachment 42550 this year.
Speaking of BBM's (Big Black Maglites)..

35 years ago, I was working doing field service for Kodak. I tried a lot of different flashlights over the years at that job. At one point, I even tried putting a big black Maglite (5*C-cell) in the rotation. I was using it one day, and a girl who worked at that account was looking at it, uh, ...admiringly. At one point, I had to go to the car for a part. She (flirtily) asked if I was worried that she might grab it. I said I wasn't really concerned, because I would know if she took it. She asked how, and I said I would be able to tell by the light coming out of her ears.. ;-) That is actually a true story; I am prone to say just about anything to anyone (much to my ex-wife's chagrin..)

Packrat that I am, I still have the Maglite. Just for giggles, I compared it to a small (1*AA) Lumintop Tool 2.0- Maglite beam on the left, Lumintop on the right (as if I actually needed to say that). My, how far we have come in a third of a century...

Attachments

• maglite vs lumintop.jpg
    maglite vs lumintop.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 42
  • maglite vs lumintop 2.jpg
    maglite vs lumintop 2.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't claim it's my "fave" light for 2023 but this little $5 OTC RCA-branded USB rechargeable mini-zoomie/ worklight (RFL5036) is a good one. Can't open it but most likely 14500, 14430 or similar in there (400-500mAh). Back end is not a clicky, and the whole thing is definitely not waterproof/resistant, but overall OK for mostly indoor use, and fairly light/compact similar to a 1AA.

Dave

RCA_1AA_size_rechargeable_light.JPG

Brokenarrow

Newly Enlightened
Wurkkos TS12
Unimpressed by most Wurkkos offerings but this thing is a little beast!
Bought one for a friend and after trying it out immediately ordered one for myself. Plenty of throw for walking around our property and spotting critters.