Enlightened
I don't want a pickle
Just want to ride on my motorsickle.

I couldn't resist.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
(BTW, I'm a mustard lover as well...just love ALL the different varieties!!_

Guess I'm on the way to the store to buy & try several "if not" more! Trouble is, I don't want to open every jar at once - but that would be the best way to taste test them all against each other. So I guess the taste test will just have to go on for who knows how long.

I've heard of most of these brands and think they are available here in Anchorage. Several stores with lots of variety exist.

I've got to agree about "grandma's"...same here, both my grandmothers (and an uncle as well) made the BEST pickles I can ever remember! Something about "homemade" I guess?

I know there are recipes for "refrigerator pickles" - but they just don't hold up to a real homemade pickle (crocks, brines, time, etc.). My brother makes the BEST sauerkraut I've ever tasted, but his basement smells like a bad cabbage! Don't want my house smelling like that at all!

Thanks for all the opinions & comments!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My own. I used to have a Polish friend (he actually *escaped* from communist Poland!) who's wife (also Polish, from Poland) would make them. She told me how and it's incredibly easy. They come out fantasticly.

Recipe:

A large pickle jar. (you know, those really big 1 or 2 gallon jars?) (you can use something smaller, if you like, but you're not going to be able to fit many in there.)
Pickling cucumbers (either regular or Persian. I like regular)
1 bunch of fresh dill (you may not need the whole bunch, depending on how big the bunch is)
6 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of salt to every 2 "mugs" of hot water. She used a regular mug, so I'd guess about 10 ounces or so, per mug.

Put the cucumbers in the jar, along with the dill and garlic, then add the hot water with the salt disolved in it. Cover the jar with aluminum foil and let it sit out for a couple of days. After that, put in the refrigerator and let sit for, at least, another 5 days. (so, 1 week of pickling) The longer they stay, the better they get! I've "improved" on the recipe by adding a few roasted habaneros, which give them a little kick. They're fresh and don't have any preservatives, other than the salt, so they won't keep forever. You'll probably need to eat them within a few weeks.

Try it, you've love it! I was totally bowled over at how good they were, the first time she gave me one. Literally, they were the best pickles I'd ever eaten.

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
Hi I'm new here! :wave: ....and I like pickles too! I've fallen in love with fermentation over the last couple of years, and have regularly made sauerkraut and veggies. They are so darn good, and VERY good for you. That's the thing about most store bought kraut and pickles....they are sterile due to the vinegar. They are not salt based lactobacillus fermented. Modern "pickling" uses vinegar, not salt, and hence there it little to no fermentation. Not that they are bad for you, as vinegar can be very beneficial in small amounts, but they can't compete with the taste and health benefits of truly fermented veggies. I recommend everybody to try it themselves...it's so easy and there are tons of resources online. Thanks for the recipe Trashman! I'm gonna try it out, as I have yet to actually do dill pickles, despite my love of them and my fermentation fetish. A very similar and delicious japanese technique is called Nukazuke. Fermenting pickles in rice bran.....really amazing stuff.

Oh and Sigman, you can still ferment yourself without smelling up the whole house. You just need a proper fermentation lock. Check out Harsch crocks, they are pricey, but will last a lifetime if you're not clumsy. They have a lip on them that you fill with water to create the lock. Or you could use a 2 dollar plastic fermenation lock from the local brew supply store. I've been using a Harsch crock for the last couple years and there is minimal odor.

Last edited:

Scottiver

Enlightened
Believe it or not, but my favorite is Safeway's Crunchy Baby Dills....MMMMM. For a national brand I like the Vlasic baby dills.
Both are zesty and crunchy. :thumbsup:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
My favorites are half-sour brined kosher dills. When I'm feeling wealthy, I'll place an order with The Pickle Guys in NYC - second day delivery and a huge selection of pickled everything. Locally, an outfit in Alexander Valley is making brined dills that come close to The Pickle Guys and Gus' Pickles. About $5 a quart. Bubbies also has brined koshers available in some local supermarkets. Very good for a jarred pickle though not as crisp as the real thing. Trader Joes also has a nice dill although it has some vinegar. Their bread and butter pickles are also nice. The best pickle at TJ's is the small jar of cornicons in the olive oil aisle. When I want something sweet, the little Del Monte sweet gherkins are delicious.

Sigman, I too love mustard, in fact I just ordered a case of Dietz and Watson hot dogs (tough to find a good hot dog on the west coast), principally so I can slather on the French's. For sandwiches I prefer whole grain mustard, and Mustard Pommery (comes in a beige crockery container) is great. Occasionally I can find the Mustard Pommery in the black crock jar which has cognac in the blend. Amazing stuff! Can eat it by the spoonful.

Flying Turtle, my wife is Polish and "Polski Wyrob" roughly translates as "Polish Made". I've seen these at SF Bay Area Costco stores.

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
You're right shakeylegs, those Cornichons at trader joes are really good. Gotta love the last ingredient listed : "flavor". :sssh: Good to know that's in there!

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
We make our own most of the time, as we have a 3 acre co-op organic garden. When I do buy them, my favorite are Happy Girl Kitchen Co. organic classic dills.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well I bought a "few" different brands, still not done with the quest for other brands though. Wife, "Why did you buy so many pickles?" Me, "I'm doing a review for Candle Power Forums"...enough said! :ohgeez:

I don't want to open them all at once, well I do - but I won't...so it'll take a awhile!

Where do the batteries go? :crackup:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I bought a "few" different brands, still not done with the quest for other brands though. Wife, "Why did you buy so many pickles?" Me, "I'm doing a review for Candle Power Forums"...enough said! :ohgeez:

I don't want to open them all at once, well I do - but I won't...so it'll take a awhile!

Where do the batteries go? :crackup:

What, no side by side comparison? If you happen to be a little hungrier during certain tastings, you might be inclined to rate them more highly.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can recommend 'Mrs. Elswood pickled cucumber spears with dill' - which are very crispy and not too sweet, also Waitrose own brand 'Cornichons in sweet and sour vinegar' which have a more European taste, goes great with cold meats and is a major constituent when I make Tartare Sauce for fish - cornichons,capers,flat leaf parsley, lemon juice, black and white pepper and mayonnaise, fantastic with goujon or squid.

Over here the large ones are called a 'Wally'. I have no idea why...

Last edited: