• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Feeler for Yuji high cri power leds group buy

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
So you you went for the 3200K version mostly because you were used to the existing incand version?

Originally, I wanted to get only the 3200K version of the 5mm LEDs for use as an incand replacement but ended up using mostly the 5600K version which I originally intended to provide to other members only (so glad that some of the subscribers pulled off th group buy :)

I remember you offering Don some of the 3200K 5mm Yugi's for installation in his sapphire light. I'm super interested in that option, but hearing you say that you had expected to like the 3200K but then liked the 5600K makes me question which LED would be best for me in a sapphire...

I do like the idea of something that resembles incandescent light...

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember you offering Don some of the 3200K 5mm Yugi's for installation in his sapphire light. I'm super interested in that option, but hearing you say that you had expected to like the 3200K but then liked the 5600K makes me question which LED would be best for me in a sapphire...

For a sapphire I personally would definitely go for 3200K. I need at least a few tens of lumens at a very close distance to appreciate the daylight tint of the 5600K LED and this requires at least 5+ LEDs. I do have a single LED light with a 5600 LED which is that "clip-on" light but it is heavily overdriven by 2x 2032 cells and this is not what you'd get in a sapphire.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

I suspect you could like either one very much if the warm option is even available for the Sapphire. I have a 5000K Nichia high CRI light that looks pretty good. I also know household warm lights look good after dark, even when we're talking 800+ lumens. If you've got a well-shaped beam without tint shift, close to the black body line, and good color rendering you've got good light, regardless of the temperature.

I put a Yuji 3200K in a Sunwayman R01A. I measured a little over 20 mA of current at the LED, which means nearly identical brightness to the Sapphire at 25mA. I found the light mesmerizing. I'd even call it soothing.

Or at least I did until multiple falls from 5+ feet damaged something in the electronics. I need to open it up again and see if it's fixable. If not, I probably will buy another one to swap the LED into. The warm output and an efficient 1xAAA form factor just go superbly well together in my opinion. I even wrote a suggestion to Fenix a few months back that they should make a special edition warm E01 with these. They had a pretty standard "we'll consider your feedback" response, but so far no further word.