• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler - Streamlight SL-20X and Sl-20X-LED Drop-in LED Conversion

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, this project is a hobby, but I am continuing on with it. Deep60sama, there is a reason that it does not get much attention for mod work, it is a "challenge". There just is not much room to work in this light, the internal shapes are complicated, and the typical drivers will not fit. When I started, I had not planned to design / build my own drivers + LED board + find a special short optics package.

It has been a great experience, although it will never rise to the point of "a good financial decision". Most people want to buy LED module drop ins for under $ 150, which is reasonable. It isn't always obvious that it takes $ 2-3 K up front, then the cost of parts per module eat up a good chunk of the selling price.

That is why it is called a hobby. :)

Flippy02

Newly Enlightened
I know I'm years late to the party, but whatever happened with this? I have an old SL20X I'd like to refresh

Bucket

Newly Enlightened
Hi, this project is a hobby, but I am continuing on with it. Deep60sama, there is a reason that it does not get much attention for mod work, it is a "challenge". There just is not much room to work in this light, the internal shapes are complicated, and the typical drivers will not fit. When I started, I had not planned to design / build my own drivers + LED board + find a special short optics package.

It has been a great experience, although it will never rise to the point of "a good financial decision". Most people want to buy LED module drop ins for under $ 150, which is reasonable. It isn't always obvious that it takes $ 2-3 K up front, then the cost of parts per module eat up a good chunk of the selling price.

That is why it is called a hobby. :)
All true. I've tried several ways to make an LED module work for this light. The lack of space inside the head is killer.

I'm close to a solution (I hope).

I really love the SL20-X. I want to make them great again.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in a newly created LED for the SL-20X.
I have an original Malkoff LED module (MD20X) in one of the lights which has a smooth beam but not much throw.

Prior to that I have been using JS's "SL-60" incandescent upgrade which is a WA1160 ring-potted lamp installed in a Carley orange peel reflector.