felines. I am not one.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was taking apart a lithium (not rechargeable) CR2032, the kind on computer moboards. had it all layed out on a paper towel on a table outside. not sure how but one of the halves caught the paper towel on fire. Curiosity kills the cat, but I'm no cat.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bshanahan,

It sounds like something shorted out.

It is a good thing that you were outside. I have changed from using paper towels to using silicon pot holders and baking sheet liners instead. They don't ignite when exposed to higher temperatures.

Tom

MorePower

Enlightened
I was taking apart a lithium (not rechargeable) CR2032, the kind on computer moboards. had it all layed out on a paper towel on a table outside. not sure how but one of the halves caught the paper towel on fire. Curiosity kills the cat, but I'm no cat.

When you opened the cell, you exposed metallic lithium to air (and therefore moisture). That's what caused the fire. Lithium metal burns.

Simple way to avoid this problem is DON'T OPEN LITHIUM CELLS.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
hah, indeed, was a learning experience. well, almost. One of these days I'm gonna get too curious about something and wish that I had 8 more lives to burn ;-) Was still a teen, and that's how I learned about lithium's averse reaction to water. Interesting how the periodic table works out. both lithium and sodium react with water and both are right next to each other.

I think morepower said it best. Don't open them.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Andy,

Thanks for pointing out the obvious... Somehow I was thinking along different lines and missed it. :)

Tom

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
Curiosity was framed. It was carelessness that killed the cat.

And I might have to kill this one that's clawing my leg wanting to go out.