Fenix CL20 lantern review

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I have many positive things to say about this light.

But first, I put up a glowing review at the fenix outfitters site and I am at a loss why it was taken down.

This is Fenix's most important light. I own more than several different ones and do not say that lightly.

Why?

One, it is the ultimate survival flashlight.

Two, it uses two different types of batteries and the AAs are readily available.

Three, it utilizes a hook and magnets.

Four, it is ultraportable.

I eagerly await their 18650 Lantern as seen in their 2015 catalog which is rechargeable but I would prefer that this CL20 Lantern be more appropriately priced at least ten dollars less if they want to move thousands of more units.

My original review said more and said it better.

- LetThereBeLight!

Last edited:

Joys_R_us

Newly Enlightened
Also eagerly (apologize for the pun Eagtac!) waiting for the CL25R. Price tag idea ?

why dont you put your review in here too ?

eff

Enlightened
Has anyone else had this experience (below) ?

Removing the batteries by prying them out of the compartment can indeed damage their casings (used eneloops and varta aa in the cl20)
However there's a simple procedure that can help you remove the batteries without ruining them :
1) remove the cl 20 lid
2) hold the top of the cl20 wth one hand, and with the batteries facing down, gently hit the bottom of the light against your other hand (will also work on a book cover, mattress, floor, ...). The cells should fall out of the compartment.
The above procedure is generic and can be applied on any non cooperative device running on batteries.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any news on a color change of the casing.

I'd really like one in black..... Sounds finicky but the 2 available colors hold me back.

Looks like a fantastic design though, well done Fenix.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the best things about this light is how great it is for power failures. Why? Because there are multiple places in every room in my house where it will hang or cling to a wall via magnet. I walk around doing everything that needs to be done in such circumstances, and the light goes with me. I know other lights can manage, but having the light up high and totally diffused makes for a good work light.

Chay

Newly Enlightened
Great review, I'm waiting on the CL25R's release before jumping the gun on this one!

radiopej

Enlightened
I have similar impressions. The red runtime is way too low and moonlight mode would have been perfect in this. I don't see how 169 lumens through 9 LEDs overheats. More heatsinking would be good. It should also be IPX8 rated. This would be awesome underwater.

The other thing is the ring. If they made it so the ring could be opened and closed it would be much better, as you could connect it to pre-existing loops. If they incorporate the feedback, version 2 would be perfect.

Palaeoboy

Newly Enlightened
Any news on a color change of the casing.

I'd really like one in black..... Sounds finicky but the 2 available colors hold me back.

Looks like a fantastic design though, well done Fenix.

I thought I would reply to this post although I have no news on any colours other than the two on offer. Now having both though, as I use their magnets to stick them together to create one light or crack them apart to spread their light further apart in certain conditions. One thing I have noticed though is that one light is considerably warmer than the other. Its quite noticeable. I dont believe its a case of different batches either as I think its directly related to the colour of the casing. The coloured plastic must be exposed on the inside and reflects that in the overall light it gives off through the diffuser. The olive one as such has a very warm light in comparison while the blue one is more neutral. So an interesting twist on this is that you need to factor in if you have a preference for a warmer light or not. If you do, buy the olive one, if you prefer a crisper neutral white get the blue one. In regards for wanting a black one I fear that it would just not reflect quite as much light at all and it overall may be dimmer than the coloured ones. Hope this new info is helpful.

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I thought I would reply to this post although I have no news on any colours other than the two on offer. Now having both though, as I use their magnets to stick them together to create one light or crack them apart to spread their light further apart in certain conditions. One thing I have noticed though is that one light is considerably warmer than the other. Its quite noticeable. I dont believe its a case of different batches either as I think its directly related to the colour of the casing. The coloured plastic must be exposed on the inside and reflects that in the overall light it gives off through the diffuser. The olive one as such has a very warm light in comparison while the blue one is more neutral. So an interesting twist on this is that you need to factor in if you have a preference for a warmer light or not. If you do, buy the olive one, if you prefer a crisper neutral white get the blue one. In regards for wanting a black one I fear that it would just not reflect quite as much light at all and it overall may be dimmer than the coloured ones. Hope this new info is helpful.

That's weird because I have the blue one and to my eyes it's warm, hmmm.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Make no mistake the Blue one is definitely a neutral white however the Olive very noticeably appears warmer still.

My light is definitely warm, not neutral white, I know the difference. Perhaps you got an "anomaly" of some sorts on your hands. What if you got an experimental one by accident?

96transam

Newly Enlightened
I was at the Fenix Tactical display at the Outdoor Adventure Show in Toronto. They were sold out of the CL20, but had one on display. Alex sold it to me for $30CA with a cr123 in it.
I can't wait until camping season to try it out.

The cover opens easily on my example

ravenraven

Newly Enlightened
I saw that fenix cl20 no longer usng cree led instead of everlight 2835 white led. Is this everlight led better than cree led?I'm curios why fenix doesn't use cree led on cl20 as I know that fenix always use cree led in most of their previous product. Does anybody knows about the quality of everlight led compared to cree led?

Scott007

Banned
I purchased this lantern based on your review, and I am very happy. I run the CR123A battery. The electronic switch got me thinking.
Is the switch drawing power when off? If so how long before it will deplete the CR123A battery? I bought this lantern for power failures, sure would suck to have the battery dead when I pulled the lantern out a couple years later.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased this lantern based on your review, and I am very happy. I run the CR123A battery. The electronic switch got me thinking.
Is the switch drawing power when off? If so how long before it will deplete the CR123A battery? I bought this lantern for power failures, sure would suck to have the battery dead when I pulled the lantern out a couple years later.
I just got a couple of Fenix lanterns and was curious about parasitic drain. I measured the parasitic drain on the CL20 as 1uA. The CL25R (18650 version) was 46uA. So I'd probably loosen the battery cap on the CL25R if storing it for awhile but wouldn't worry about removing batteries on the CL20.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
So no one noticed the battery life numbers claimed by Fenix don't make any sense?

Turbo: 165 Lumens (2 hours and 23 min using AA Ni-MH; 3 hours and 10 min using AA Alkaline; 2 hours using CR123A
High: 100 Lumens (5 hours and 15 min using AA Ni-MH; 4 hours and 9 min using AA Alkaline; 3 hours and 31 min using CR123A
Mid: 50 Lumens (11 hours and 28 min using AA Ni-MH; 9 hours and 8 min using AA Alkaline; 7 hours and 32 min using CR123A
Low: 8 Lumens (71 hours and 40 min using AA Ni-MH; 56 hours and 40 min using AA Alkaline; 46 hours and 50 min using CR123A

If there was one mode where I'd expect the NiMH to spank the Alkaleaks, it's turbo, yet they show NiMH cells better than Alkaleaks in all the other modes except for turbo. :thinking:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty sweet. I just reviewed the XTAR Moon RC2 I won from XTAR, but I think I might give it to my Dad as he bikes more and it's a good bike/signal light since it has a clip. I'll probably get a CL20 in its place for myself :) They both can be used as small "lanterns," but I think I might personally like the CL20 a little more even though you can't recharge it via USB and it has no clip. I like the more symmetrical look to the CL20 though and that you can hang it straight down. Also with a D ring/carabiner you can more or less use it in the same way as the RC2 Moon.