Fenix E01 V2 ?

CSG

Newly Enlightened
Hey, if you want looooow light, get you a Nitecore Tube. First press is 1 lumen. Second is 55...

Those remain my keychain lights although the incoming E05's are in the running.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Hey, if you want looooow light, get you a Nitecore Tube. First press is 1 lumen. Second is 55...

Those remain my keychain lights although the incoming E05's are in the running.

My big problem with lights like this is the batteries go bad over time and don't have easily replaceable batteries making it essentially disposable for most folks.

CSG

Newly Enlightened
My big problem with lights like this is the batteries go bad over time and don't have easily replaceable batteries making it essentially disposable for most folks.

They're $10 and, so far, my original has lasted years. I wonder what the battery is? Regardless, they are probably good for a few hundred charges. Well worth it in my view.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How long do you have to switch modes?
It's not required to have lightning quick twists but after about a second it defaults back to low. I checked out how many modes I could switch it to in one second and was easily able to cycle all three in the time it took my wall clock to move one second. Now that was rushing things. But in normal use you should not have much issue getting it to cycle as long as you don't dilly dally trying to reach high.

Now if you have it on low for a bit and want to go up, no problem. Yet if you decide to throttle it back to low you only have to wait a bit over a second. Best I can tell there is no throttle from high to medium.

I find the dispersed beam very handy for illuminating things like fine print, restaraunt menus or peeking into a USB port looking for lint. Don't like the tint? Color the lens with a Sharpie. A pumpkin orange makes it have a nice, gentle incan glow that can be wiped off using a cleaner like "goof off" or Simple Green".

Edit: no PWM (or other quick cycle output reduction method) detected.

0-C8-E2105-228-A-4082-998-A-0234-DE6-D97-AB.jpg

A light with known PWM pic to moving fan blades
Note the distinct high and low ouputs.

17-A8-CA7-A-C00-C-4884-80-C0-E3787-D1588-C3.jpg

The V2 low

AD49587-F-B9-E3-4206-A40-A-C1817-CF7-B7-AE.jpg

The V2 medium
None detected in either mode. Same fan, same speed.
End edit

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
I'm glad I stocked up on the originals as I think this one is a pass for me. The need to add a clip to tailstand is enough in and of itself... The rest: the three levels vs. 1, no potting..... and as mentioned previously, awash in sea of other lights that are basically the same. I would have liked a simple refresh of the design and better tint, a little better efficiency... that would have done it for me.

For the love of God Fenix, make a single mode AA twisty like the old e01.. please, PLEASE!!!

CSG

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad I stocked up on the originals as I think this one is a pass for me. The need to add a clip to tailstand is enough in and of itself... The rest: the three levels vs. 1, no potting..... and as mentioned previously, awash in sea of other lights that are basically the same. I would have liked a simple refresh of the design and better tint, a little better efficiency... that would have done it for me.

For the love of God Fenix, make a single mode AA twisty like the old e01.. please, PLEASE!!!

I don't disagree with a thing you say and if they had simply named this something else, there wouldn't be any issue with most forumistas. I loved the simple elegance of the original design and something like it with one mode with stupid long runtime would have been a natural. I never understood why they stopped making that model. To me it was a core flashlight for Fenix.

Darvis

Enlightened
I don't disagree with a thing you say and if they had simply named this something else, there wouldn't be any issue with most forumistas. I loved the simple elegance of the original design and something like it with one mode with stupid long runtime would have been a natural. I never understood why they stopped making that model. To me it was a core flashlight for Fenix.

Agree CSG, it was their non-shiningest, shiningest light ever!

scout24

Flashaholic
I freely admit to having preconcieved ideas about AAA lights. Arc AAA, original E01, Peak Matterhorn, etc. A 5mm single level battery vampire emergency backup type of thing. I've tried over the years to warm up to the idea that it's a shrunk-down edc multi level do everything light. I was skeptical of the new E01 V2. Run4jc was kind enough to send me one and I've played with it enough now to comment. I don't think it's a successor to the original. Sacrilege. Heresy. The person who signed off on this idea at Fenix needs to do penance for the CPF faithful. It is a decent little light. The head is easy to turn without my being worried about losing it. The beam shape and tint on my example are nice, the optic does a good job. It's tough for me to be objective with the E01 name on it, I'll admit it. As has been said, were it named something else it'd be easier to find love for it. I do think you could do worse for a small, light, handy AAA light though if you didn't want to carry something bigger.I'm looking forward to some Eneloop runtime testing, and using it to get back and forth to my chicken coop to lock them up for the evening for a while. Thanks, Dan! :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The V2 is akin to the Volkswagon Beetle.
The original with all of its quirks was a popular item and then it went away.

When it returned of course it wasn't like the original. Times changed. And like the beetle the V2 will have its scoffers, but to those who had never experienced the original there will be new fans. Now some who experienced the original praised the changes of the new Beetle while others hollered "hang the designers".

Funny how life works sometimes.

scout24

Flashaholic
Byk- Good points... but if they had listened to the E01 faithful and addressed the quirks and re-released it, I'd agree. I for one emailed them at one point asking for a warm or high cr-i version, offering to buy a bunch and asking what their minimum number would be for a run. Never got an answer. This is a whole different beast. More versatile? Sure. Smaller? Yup. A decent light? Sure. It's just not an E01 to me... (Old man fan-boy rant over... :crackup:)

nbp

Flashaholic
Car models that stick around always evolve. But they usually keep some semblance of the original (if they're smart). The Beetle is still a bubble shaped two door car like it always was. If they suddenly released a minivan and put the Beetle name on it, people would be like What the heck is this?! That is more like what they did with the E01.

Darvis

Enlightened
I freely admit to having preconcieved ideas about AAA lights. Arc AAA, original E01, Peak Matterhorn, etc. A 5mm single level battery vampire emergency backup type of thing. I've tried over the years to warm up to the idea that it's a shrunk-down edc multi level do everything light. I was skeptical of the new E01 V2. Run4jc was kind enough to send me one and I've played with it enough now to comment. I don't think it's a successor to the original. Sacrilege. Heresy. The person who signed off on this idea at Fenix needs to do penance for the CPF faithful. It is a decent little light. The head is easy to turn without my being worried about losing it. The beam shape and tint on my example are nice, the optic does a good job. It's tough for me to be objective with the E01 name on it, I'll admit it. As has been said, were it named something else it'd be easier to find love for it. I do think you could do worse for a small, light, handy AAA light though if you didn't want to carry something bigger.I'm looking forward to some Eneloop runtime testing, and using it to get back and forth to my chicken coop to lock them up for the evening for a while. Thanks, Dan! :)

Scout - I'm torn here as well. The older and lighter EDC me loves the idea of that do all AAA... but.... I just can't....... go... there... I thought the Beta QR v2 would be it, the e05, the Ti3... but I struggle with levels that just don't quite work (did I like low? Medium? Skip to high??? What..? WHAT???) and what I've found to just be not such good quality in just about any AAA with levels. Props to the e05 v2, it was darned close...

The v1 e01 was right there at the top- Angry blue/purple setting the mood with steel wool influenced smugness, tail standing with his chapstick cap hat candle glow, no clicky, eneloop capable.. if it was just oh such a tad bit brighter, but he worked!

That's why a AA version of the e01, about 25 lumens with a nice optic that could tailstand... man.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how the reports flow in... first person to accidentally send one through the washer gets my thumbs up! :twothumbs

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scout - I'm torn here as well. The older and lighter EDC me loves the idea of that do all AAA... but.... I just can't....... go... there... I thought the Beta QR v2 would be it, the e05, the Ti3... but I struggle with levels that just don't quite work (did I like low? Medium? Skip to high??? What..? WHAT???) and what I've found to just be not such good quality in just about any AAA with levels. Props to the e05 v2, it was darned close...

The v1 e01 was right there at the top- Angry blue/purple setting the mood with steel wool influenced smugness, tail standing with his chapstick cap hat candle glow, no clicky, eneloop capable.. if it was just oh such a tad bit brighter, but he worked!

That's why a AA version of the e01, about 25 lumens with a nice optic that could tailstand... man.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how the reports flow in... first person to accidentally send one through the washer gets my thumbs up! :twothumbs

I love these two posts. Darvis - I'm your man. E01 V2 is headed for the washer tomorrow. May be time for me to pull out the rock tumbler of death again.... :devil:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wash, rinse, repeat...!!!! :popcorn: That's my kind of motion picture show!

Well here we go. Spoiler alert - it survived without a scratch. Placed the light in the pocket of a pair of my jeans. Of course, it didn't stay there long. My washer is front load so things get tossed, and I didn't have much of a load of laundry so there wasn't a lot of cushion. Tried to capture some of the clanking sound from the light, but I failed. Plus my darn Roomba was running in the next room and you can hear it more than the washer.

Worked perfectly when the 60 minute washer run was over. Put it in the jeans pocket again and put everything in the dryer. Same result. Survived without a scratch. Incidentally, the battery was in the light and the head was loose enough that the light was not on.

I MAY subject it to the "rock tumbler of death"...still haven't decided.

CSG

Newly Enlightened
So, even though I wish they had left the light as a simple update to the elegant original design as well, some of the somewhat silly commentary about wanting to destroy the V2 version have proven to be, well, a bit silly. Fenix ought to pay this guy for making them a commercial! I like the new light for it's function and initial cost (about $10 each when introduced with the discount). I just preferred the old, single output, clean design.

Darvis

Enlightened
Well here we go. Spoiler alert - it survived without a scratch. Placed the light in the pocket of a pair of my jeans. Of course, it didn't stay there long. My washer is front load so things get tossed, and I didn't have much of a load of laundry so there wasn't a lot of cushion. Tried to capture some of the clanking sound from the light, but I failed. Plus my darn Roomba was running in the next room and you can hear it more than the washer.

Worked perfectly when the 60 minute washer run was over. Put it in the jeans pocket again and put everything in the dryer. Same result. Survived without a scratch. Incidentally, the battery was in the light and the head was loose enough that the light was not on.

I MAY subject it to the "rock tumbler of death"...still haven't decided.

Eggsaladant!!! But can it also make you breakfast?? Seriously, ok... it gets a check mark in the pass column. Hmmmm... why do I want to play with one now?

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
The results we produced have gone through thousands of tests, it is obvious we no need to lie about the output and any other specifications. But the different environments and the actually used battery may cause difference. The Fenix didn't lie and won't forever. If you are interested in the product, you need to trust the brand.
That's pretty disappointing that Fenix Lied about the output. Also I wish they didn't add the symbols on the head. It's not needed.

scout24

Flashaholic
Out of curiosity- Were the numberd published (runtime as well as output) achieved with the battery you include with the light? If so, wonderful! If not, please tell us which cells were used in testing to arrive at the posted numbers. I'm sure we are all interested in maximizing performance from our lights no matter the brand. Thank you in advance. :)