Fenix E99 TI Limited Edition

jruser

Newly Enlightened
Does the E99 have a lens on it? What about the E05 SS. I have seen some thing that confused me...

jruser

Newly Enlightened
What does plastic optic refer to? Reflector? I guess I'm not understanding the terminology.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Gunga: the two look identical to me

@jruser: this light has no reflector but just a plastic conical lens that concentrates the beam

313m9z9.jpg

this is known as a TIR (Total Internal Reflection) lens and if you search the forum you will find a lot of info

mebeno

Newly Enlightened
I received my E99 Ti today from Fenix Outfitters for $44.95 without engraving. I had initially settled on the E05SS following much research before stumbling upto the E99 Ti. This is to be my EDC flashlight, however, now that I've received it I'm hesitant to chuck it on my keychain where it will get all scratched >.<! It's really well built and feel very bright on the highest setting (supposedly 100lm), although I've yet to test it at night. There's a slight gritty feeling when first screwing it together which goes away after a few twists and it comes together smoothly. Definitely a recommended purchase while they're available. I might get an engraved one for my Dad for Christmas. I will use it as my EDC but will probably wrap it like lockdoc to preserve it's pristiness a little longer.

4lkm85.jpg

e9xdnq.jpg
2vwinn5.jpg

2qd7d4h.jpg
15ogz82.jpg

Kingfisher

Enlightened
The engraved models are now being shipped - get them pics up - let's see what you got laserd!

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened
Mine arrived today, the threads are extremely gritty. Its much harder to turn on and off than my E05.

*edit* applied some silicone grease, seems a lot better now, but still nowhere as smooth as the steel E05. I much prefer the tint on the T99Ti though.

Last edited:

whtwalker

Newly Enlightened
I agree that the treads are really gritty, even applying silicone grease. I originally ordered two, but returned one. I was using the e99 for a couple of weeks, but went back to my e05ss. It is way smoother and easier to twist. I also like the tint of the e99 over the e05ss. My e99 is now my backup.
Mine arrived today, the threads are extremely gritty. Its much harder to turn on and off than my E05.

*edit* applied some silicone grease, seems a lot better now, but still nowhere as smooth as the steel E05. I much prefer the tint on the T99Ti though.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't complain at all about the threads of my 99Ti. After applying some silicone grease they are as smooth as the ones of the E05ss (also greased)

kj2

Flashaholic
So I ask a employee from Fenix how much there are made.. Ehh limited edition .. Answer: .. 8000 pcs. Not that limited IMO.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I ask a employee from Fenix how much there are made.. Ehh limited edition .. Answer: .. 8000 pcs. Not that limited IMO.

Limited in their idea might be a single production batch which will not be repeated.

Besides 8,000 lights divided by the number of countries where they sell them is probably a small number for each country.

Jimbo75

Newly Enlightened
Received my E99Ti a couple of days ago and thought I would post my opinion of it. It has a wonderful neutral tint that is clear...yes clear!...let me explain, my stainless version has a nice neutral hot spot with slightly purple spill(still nice) but wasn't clear, best I could describe it would be to say it looked like I was using it in a fog. The Ti's emitted light is clear and lights up everything with sharp details, not sure if it's the tint or the lens but it's very nice none the less(I would love it if someone could explain this foggy phenomenon).

The modes are what the stainless version should have been, a lower low, same great medium and similar high(I can't actually notice any difference) essentially the same brightness levels as the LD01 only in the correct order...:nana: L-M-H.

The head knurling is where it should have been on the stainless version and is a vast improvement with slippery fingers.

For those that are concerned with the key ring hole placement on the stainless version, I'm afraid it is exactly the same on the Ti.

Whilst the Ti is noticeably lighter, if Fenix was to make the Ti version in super smooth stainless I would feel I had the best version available, now if only they were producing the AL version with the low low.....

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my engraved E99 Ti. Replacing a 4sevens Atom for keychain duty. This has been the first light I've gotten in quite a while and the initial impressions are positive. Compared to the Atom, its a noticeably bigger light (still quite small enough for a keychain) but weighs only 0.17 oz more. In my opinion, the size difference is quite worth the trade off in functionality. Don't get me wrong, the 4sevens Atom is a great light; super small with a robust build, but it has a washed out flood beam that really only excels for up close use. If you are a recovering flashaholic and only have one light on you (Gasp!) the E99 would be a better way to go since the beam has a good balance of throw and spill, the brightness levels are very well spaced, and it gets a lot brighter if necessary. I could see using low 90% of the time on the E99, whereas the Atom's low was really only good in total darkness. Also in terms of efficiency, the mid level of the E99 far outlasts the "high" of the Atom and it's actually a little brighter.
I've never had a Ti light before and to be honest, I've never seen Ti that looks like this despite having lots of Ti other stuff. The metal is usually a more matte gunmetal grey, while this alloy is bright and shiny. I don't mind if the light gets scratched, still better than anodization wearing off. Threads are good if not great, but I lubed them and they feel fine to me. I do have some concerns about the keychain hole wearing through (part of the reason I moved away from aluminum lights for keychain use) but only time will tell. I'm glad I got in on the $1 engraving before it was gone (just my name and phone # in case I lose the light and a good samaritan finds it, maybe I should have been more creative and put something inspirational ;). Recommended.

Jeffg330

Newly Enlightened
Well I'm dissapointed, the good folks at usps show my engraved light delivered yesterday. Unfortunately it was not delivered to my mailbox. I filed a claim but doubt I'll see my light. I'll be lucky to get my money back

Jeffg330

Newly Enlightened
The USPS found my engraved light after 8 days MIA. My threads are smooth as butter, no lube needed.

Has as anyone who's been carrying this for a few weeks see any scratches yet? I want to stick this thing on my keychain and was wondering how they held up. Never had a Ti light before

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received both of mine and both has a slightly greenish tint to it. Somehow my E05SS has got a nicer tint. Not a big issue for me but just kind of surprised at the difference in tint. I would have thought that Fenix would be using the same tint on all their XP-G2.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Thanks for sharing. Your post reminded me that I wanted one so I just bought two from EdisonBright on eBay, one for me and one for a gift.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
The USPS found my engraved light after 8 days MIA. My threads are smooth as butter, no lube needed.

Has as anyone who's been carrying this for a few weeks see any scratches yet? I want to stick this thing on my keychain and was wondering how they held up. Never had a Ti light before

Titanium will scratch but also is easily filed and polished back to like new. The main attraction of Ti for me is that I like stainless steel but it's substantially heavier than titanium although the Ti is more expensive. I also prefer shiny lights to black anodized Al in case I drop it on the ground or in the grass on a dark, moonless night.

Youre going to like Ti. Some flashoholics (like me) do tend to focus on it. I usually buy whatever limited edition in a small light gets offered by a major maker.

Last edited: