Burgess

Flashaholic
Are these available in COLORS ? ? ?

Boring black is so . . . .

err, Boring !

:whistle:

DaveG

Enlightened
Its a great no frills light,just does its job,on-off-done.At the price of these things,love it.

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
I have all 3 colors, love this light.

I just had to send one back because it spent some time underwater. 4sevens is honoring the warranty, so no worries.

Illum

Flashaholic
Bought two blues, both were XPEs.... heh, XPGs don't come in color apparently. Blue is welcoming color, purple is a bit...nostalgic of A2s

It just occurred to me that Lighthound sells them for $25 while batteryjunction sells them for $20... :ohgeez:

If I can figure out a way to make a headband for them the beam profile could make an excellent headlamp, though runtime might be lacking, a backup headlamp :)
At minimum I'd relay on this over the Princeton Tec Scout or other coin cell headlamps

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
i've realized my favorite thing on this light is the excellent knurling and the super tight tolerances on the threads. combined, they make one-handed operation a snap. extremely handy in a keychain light.

i'm still lovin my E05.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Yesterday I tried to put a Preon 2 head on the E05 body.
Fits and works well. Gives a pretty small 3-mode twisty light.
Probably not better than Preon 1 body but I dont have any of those.

mmace1

Enlightened
I was one of the first to buy one. The single 30lm mode is not bright enough in some situation and wastes battery life in other situations. Don't need 30lm for reading or going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. 30lm is not bright enough for walking outside when there is some ambient light. If you already have a multi-mode AAA light, save your money. As a gift light to an average person, it's great.

This was my former favorite EDC - and I have to say - I agree, actually. Super-small, great beam pattern for a small light - but I'd wished for a lower low and a higher high. I eventually replaced it with a DQG II - one of the few AAA lights smaller, and - lower low, and higher high.

That said for the average non flashaholic - I'd still recommend the E05 in a heartbeat.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was my former favorite EDC - and I have to say - I agree, actually. Super-small, great beam pattern for a small light - but I'd wished for a lower low and a higher high. I eventually replaced it with a DQG II - one of the few AAA lights smaller, and - lower low, and higher high.

That said for the average non flashaholic - I'd still recommend the E05 in a heartbeat.

The ideal modes and brightness for my use is 15/60lm, which are very close to the medium and high on my Maratac AAA. The best thing about the E05 is the relatively floody beam. I can achieve this by using DC-Fix diffuser on my Maratac AAA, if Mr. Phaseburn ever ships me the ones I ordered 3 weeks ago. Once I get some DC-Fix for the Maratac, my E05 will probably be gifted. For now it is actually a backup light to my Zebralight H51w.

The floody beam is very useful for up-close tasks such reading, but at the same time 30lm is not needed.
IMG_7179.jpg

Last edited:

davecroft

Enlightened
Got mine last week and I'm chuffed with it. Wish I had got one ages ago. The beam colour puts a lot of my expensive lights to shame.

After 5 days of using it, it has actually made me re-evaluate what I want from a flashlight. I thought max output, loads of modes and the perfect beam pattern were everything. But now I really appreciate this little carry - everywhere, reasonable output, one mode E05.

You can keep your mode skipping, unreliable, wobbly headed, green beamed expensive lights with their battery rattle! I have come to appreciate having a solid little light which just does its job. Stress free flashaholism!!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine last week and I'm chuffed with it. Wish I had got one ages ago. The beam colour puts a lot of my expensive lights to shame.

After 5 days of using it, it has actually made me re-evaluate what I want from a flashlight. I thought max output, loads of modes and the perfect beam pattern were everything. But now I really appreciate this little carry - everywhere, reasonable output, one mode E05.

You can keep your mode skipping, unreliable, wobbly headed, green beamed expensive lights with their battery rattle! I have come to appreciate having a solid little light which just does its job. Stress free flashaholism!!

I actually 100% agree with you.I find myself just grabbing the basic little light when I nip out.

AlphaZen

Enlightened

Well said and I agree on all points.

fyrstormer

Banned

I definitely agree that the E05 is a nice refreshing update for the "no excuse not to carry" backup light category, but I do want to point out if your other lights have green beams and rattling batteries, they're not really all that good to begin with. ;) Try a McGizmo Haiku when you get the chance.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: Misread a post, deleted.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
I've order another one, this time hoping to take it apart and put a Nichia NVSL219 in it to see the difference, question now is the head won't budge even after plastic bag boiling. :ohgeez:

xelario

Newly Enlightened
I've read through a few E05 threads and I'm confused about the LEDs. What I've gathered is there are at least 3 types of E05 - XP-E R2, XP-E R4 and some kind of XP-G.
I recently bought one locally, packaging says "Max 27 Lumens" and "Cree XP-E LED", according to serial number check it's an R4... So the packaging is supposed to say "Max 30 Lumens" and "Cree XP-E R4 LED"?
I guess packaging isn't everything (XP-G packaged as XP-E R2)...
This post says R2 uses XP-E, R4 - XP-G, so now i'm totally confused...

tam17

Enlightened
Specs on the packaging tends to be a bit unreliable when we speak about Fenix, so I prefer to trust their serial number check. My old LD01 was labelled as R2 but it was in fact R3.

Cheers

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read through a few E05 threads and I'm confused about the LEDs. What I've gathered is there are at least 3 types of E05 - XP-E R2, XP-E R4 and some kind of XP-G.
I recently bought one locally, packaging says "Max 27 Lumens" and "Cree XP-E LED", according to serial number check it's an R4... So the packaging is supposed to say "Max 30 Lumens" and "Cree XP-E R4 LED"?
I guess packaging isn't everything (XP-G packaged as XP-E R2)...
This post says R2 uses XP-E, R4 - XP-G, so now i'm totally confused...

For it,s intended use and the cost I cannot see why you would be interested in which led it has.They work great,just enjoy it.When you spend more money on something with more power I then could see why you would want to find out.Your eyes would not even notice the difference between 27 and 30 lumens.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've order another one, this time hoping to take it apart and put a Nichia NVSL219 in it to see the difference, question now is the head won't budge even after plastic bag boiling. :ohgeez:

A little old, I know, but I recently discovered that Loctite says 250 degrees C is specified on the threads to break down the Loctite, and disassemble when hot. I usually use a hot air gun on lights, heating until I can start smelling, uh, hot light smell (too hot to touch, not enough to smoke), then letting it cool. Possibly thermal expansion/contraction helps here, too. On the E05, the optic and spacer are all plastic, so I didn't want to use heat. I have a carefully configured tubing vise (aka a bicycle work stand) and along with rubber straps, was able to get my E05 apart with no heat at all, but it wasn't easy.

Then I also discovered that Loctite won't work on anodized aluminum without a special primer.

E05apart.jpg