Fenix HP25R vs. HP16R Headlamp

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone compared these 2? It looks like one is a single 18650 sst and one a 21700 xpg3 S4. A few reports that the mid flood mode broke on the hp25r. The candela looks higher on the single 18650 luminus sst.

Fenix lied about the runtime on high with the hr30r 2p18650, which gets a half of the runtime as on the specs. The reality matches the 8th grade math, not the box. And clearly the runtime is a bit over half on high than the box. A mode is no longer a mode when it noticeably drops and you can no longer use it for the task that needed that lux. See my thread on the hp30r and extensive runtime test and math.

A task headlamp, using single 18650 with a 26 mm reflector needs a good xpg or xplhi, run at 2 watt max to get the 4000 lux a 1 meter which is 1000 lux at 2 meters, which is about the minimum desired lux for acute vision and covers 90 percent of tasks. 1 watt is the maximum power a single 18650 can offer for a full work day..... An xpl or xml needs a 33mm or 36mm reflector and ideally 2p18650 to get the runtime and lux. Zoomies cut down on 70 percent of lumens zoomed, and are too low lux for quality eyesight,especially for inspection and task lighting inside during the day. 4k candela, 10 hours is the ideal number, which all my headlamps lights had or nearly had since 2012, with the hp12 and the buckpuck lights I built or mods since 2014.

But most of these are worn out from severe field use, and I don't have the time to build another 2p18650 2watt 383 lumen 36mm reflector headlamp with 10 hours of 4k +candela flat output with a dimming dial. But I can't find a suitable one to buy online.

I am not really happy with hp30r, as the needed high doesn't last all day. And it takes a very careful juggling act to manage to get a full day. Also, I accidentally turn on the turbo mode all the time which I verified is hard on the led and electronics and the battery life.

I recommend an 8th grade math refresher to the typical flashlight reviewer. Also, a Wikipedia course on rods, cones, fovea. Also, color perception is luminance + cri+ gain. It is not just cri. A tradeoff of cri cri for lower luminance might not be a wise trade off. However, I am hoping to get into at least an 80 cri generation in 2023. Fenix does these 6500 Kelvin, which do not make sense. A 5700 Kelvin 80 cri has very little drop in lumens, yet should allow far better eye color resolution outside looking at tree leaves and bark. However, discussions about cri and Kelvin are irrelevant, when flashlight makers cannot make even the most basic work headlamp correctly - - 4000 candela for 10 hours at maximum lpw possible--period. This needs to be the max juice allowed. Any turbo needs to be hidden from the worker whose job is not to be wowed or wow, just do their job. The desired lumen output will determine form factor, from single cell to double cell. The lux at 1 meter is non negotiable when you need 1000 lux at 2 meters, as a painter or drywaller or any inspector will need. Car repair and unlighted garage work need this too, as the eye is adjusted to day light. Sure they could wear an eye patch like a pirate to preserve the night vision, but not necessary in 2023 if the headlamp makers did not lie about the specs, overdrive the leds to impress the people who have not read a spec sheet, and overall make toys rather than hard core tools.

I have been a fan of the Fenix driver and spec sheet since 2009. But was dismayed, in 2022,that they never tested the hp30r and obviously the high level had wrong numbers published. The veracity of their numbers is the core reason for my love of Fenix. As well as their attempt at a useful lux for the typical workday or close to the 10 hours. 8 is not enough, but will take it if 10 is not available.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
I am curious why you want to compare these two lights (1x18650 and 1x21700) when you then write in the fourth paragraph, that you need 2 cell batterypack to get 10h.

What we currently have the best is our M6 headlamp (1830lm) with limited edition W3 bin of XP-L2 leds, they have highest lpw from all 3V leds that are available right know, you know the math so you can compare it with other like SST or XPG leds. M6 has MID mode for 10 hours, higher modes are "hidden", it has also beautiful color 4500K being specified only min. CRI70, but I guarantee you will love it. Its great workhorse lamp to be used everyday. However it does not have 4000lux in 1m, beam is normal-wide, nice for daily work. We measure only luxes in maximum mode which is 8856lux in 1m, MID mode (10h) would be about 1/4 of that. I can measure it with combination of optics 13+13 and in 10h mode, if you were interested. My rough guess based on datas I have is that it will be something like 3300-3400lux, not 4000 but close.

This is beam of a Cree XP-L2, 4500K, 13°, TIR 21mm in diameter.
21_S2RED_4500K_CRI70_13.jpg

And this is Samsung LH351D with 5000K, CRI93 (measured) and cmbination of 13+13+13+29 TIR optics. Beam is tighter, not have lux numbers for it.
11_L_5000K_CRI93_13_13_13_29.jpg

To achieve 4000lux 10h from 2x18650, you need to have much tighter spot which is not good for work in my own experience. Maybe I am missing what beamshape you exactly need. Few car repair guys and similar task workers happily use them with our normal 13+29 optics.

Last edited: