Fenix L0D-RB80 Comparison Review

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Through the courtesy of 4sevens (http://Fenix-Store.com) I have on loan for this review a Fenix L0D-RB80 Rebel Edition

"silly" size comparison -
L0Drb80Sz.jpg

if you think they look the same size - it's because they are.......

Heads -
L0Drb80Hd.jpg

the Rebel RB80 LED is physically smaller than the Luxeon UWAJ in the L0P-SE and the Cree XR-E in the L0D-CE.
The RB80 edition has a reticulated/orange-peel reflector.

The closest comparison would be with the Fenix L0D-CE -

vs. Fenix L0D-CE both using NiMH and on High
L0Drb80_L0Dce.jpg
L0Drb80_L0Dce2U.jpg

Brightness seems comparable - the Rebel 80 seems a bit more diffused/spread out more, so the Cree Edition may have the upperhand in the -2 Stops underexposed shot.

The Cree betrays its dark-halo in this comparison - which did not seem that prominent in my earlier test sample (see beamshots in given link).

I prefer both the overall beam characteristics and tint of the RB80.

How about a Luxeon III? Remember I have a "Special-Special" edition L0P with UWAJ mod?

vs. Fenix L0P-SE Special both using NiMH and on High -
L0Drb80_L0PSE.jpg
L0Drb80_L0PSE2U.jpg

It's pretty obvious that the RB80 is noticably brighter than a what would have been regarded as a "Special-Premium" UWAJ from less than a year ago..... The old Luxeon UWAJ tint seems even better, to me.

OK if the RB80 is that much brighter - how does it compare when set on medium vs. the high on the Luxeon UWAJ ?

Medium vs. Fenix L0P-SE Special on High - both using NiMH
L0Drb80M_L0PSE.jpg
L0Drb80M_L0PSE2U.jpg

pretty comparable - the side-spill of the Luxeon UWAJ is noticably wider than that of the RB80, and the Luxeon's overall beam characteristics seem nicer.

Perhaps not a jump in brightness over the Cree - but I prefer the overall beam and tint of this RB80 edition - so it is a worthwhile step in the right direction.

Part 2 - 3.7V Li-Ion Rechargeable 10440 + "Practical" Stairway beamshot - in post #3

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part 2 - 3.7V Li-Ion Rechargeable 10440

vs. Fenix L0D-CE on NiMH High -
L0Drb80Li_L0Dce.jpg
L0Drb80Li_L0Dce2U.jpg

it's pretty obvious that the L0D-RB80 on 3.7V Li-Ion Rechargeable 10440 is substantially brighter than the L0D-CE on NiMH High.

So bright that when compared on Medium/default -

Medium vs. Fenix L0D-CE on NiMH High -
L0Drb80LiM_L0Dce.jpg
L0Drb80LiM_L0Dce2U.jpg

these look comparable - any difference is not going to be significant in practical usage (for me)

"Practical" Beamshots (Stairs) next to that from the Fenix L0D-CE also using 3.7V 10440, High
StairFenixL0Drb80Li.jpg
StairFenixL0DCELi.jpg

The new RB80 looks brighter here.

BUT beware the L0D-RB80 like the L0D-CE got very warm pretty rapidly using the 10440 -
so personally I would not use a 10440 for more than a few minutes at a time - but of course YMMV.

JKL

Enlightened
Very interesting review UnknowVT, thanks :thumbsup:

I also prefer the overall beam and tint of this RB80 edition. :naughty:

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also prefer the overall beam and tint of this RB80 edition. :naughty:

I agree with you generally about the Rebel Editons haveing better tints and overall beam smoothness.

However this sample of one of the L0D-RB80 Rebel seemed to have a cooler/blue'ish tint than the others I've reviewed - eg:
Fenix P3D-RB100 Rebel
StairP3Drb100.jpg
StairFenixL0Drb80Li.jpg

JKL

Enlightened
:thanks: to replay Vincent,

yes, in the visual comparison side-by-side, the L0D-RB80 Rebel with 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable 10440 surely have a cooler/blue'ish tint ;).

My P2D Rebel is not blue'ish as my P3D CE, at any rate in the real-life the 25% increase in brightness of the RB100 it's hard to see....

In the meantime we wait next R -Bin, but IMHO the change in tint will be more noticeable than minor changes in brightness :popcorn:

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the LOD CE a P4?

Just one of the earlier plain ol' P-series.

Just beware - although the more premium Q-series are probably brighter by measurement -
in practical usage terms - there really isn't a dramatic increase in brightness.

I mean either the L0Drb80 or the plain P-series L0Dce - can actually rival a 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight -
when using an AAA sized 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable 10440 battery -
see Post #27 (link) in this current thread - Puny LED flashlights (Not!)
This is "ridiculous" for a single AAA light!