Fenix L2D CE to replace an SureFire L2?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Surefire L2 is one of the best lights they make

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
let's wait till July to get the updaged L2 with a CREE LED, it will be a more even comparison then.

what is a tougher comparison for the SF's is for expensive lights like the U2 and the A2 which are not intended to be updated in the near future, they are looking very outclassed by the L2D CE - not only in output/runtime, but in that it can pretty much also do their intended functions.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I have both.... but the L2 has a great feature that I use constantly, a pocket clip! I use the LD2-CE around the house. I use the L2 when I'm out and about.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technology in the LED area is becoming close to the same as in computers. You think you have the latest and best only to find a new model around the corner with a better LED in it. Yes, I believe that if you want a Surefire LED wait for the next generation......then the next generation.......then the next generation and so on. For this reason I believe that LED lights will become cheap and disposable in the future. Buy one, use it for a year and then throw it away etc....For this reason I will only keep the S/F incans like the G2, E1E and the E2E.

Spalding

Newly Enlightened
If there's something that can replace the Surefire L2 (and L1 and U2) I haven't found it. For tactical and convenience applications nothing replaces Surefire - but - I have found that the Fenix AA lights are a great replacement for the Mini Mag. Kind of a utility light around the house, garage, etc. Plus I have lots of partly used AAs and use them up in the Fenix lights.

For Chinese products they aren't really that bad quality wise but with the crazy recessed clicky...

E

eek

I had a Fenix L2D-CE and was really not impressed with it at all. It was not nearly as bright on turbo mode as I had assumed it would be. Very disappointed. Yes I tried it with both rechargeables and lithiums. Everything worked great on it though, all modes. Didn't really like the clicky. When switching between modes it's easy to accidently switch it off.

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
flashy bazook said:
let's wait till July to get the updaged L2 with a CREE LED, it will be a more even comparison then.

what is a tougher comparison for the SF's is for expensive lights like the U2 and the A2 which are not intended to be updated in the near future, they are looking very outclassed by the L2D CE - not only in output/runtime, but in that it can pretty much also do their intended functions.

The L2 isn't being updated to cree in July. The only surefire lights that will have cree LEDs, at least in the coming series, are the Titan, E1L, E2L, L1, L5, and I think that's it. Although I believe the old L5 and L2 have similar outputs, and the new L5 was rated at 120 lumens at the release of the Surefire 2007 catalog.

daveman

Enlightened
xiaowenzu said:
Here's a Fenix L2D on Turbo mode (left) against a Surefire L2.. (right) Keep in mind that turbo mode will drain the power very quickly though.
l2dnn7.jpg

FENIX ON LEFT.

Read carefully what I'm posting here, Xiaowenzu:

BY DELIBERATELY POSTING FASLE OR PHOTOSHOPPED BEAMSHOTS TO CONFUSE YOUR FELLOW CPF MEMBERS, YOU WILL BE OSTRACIZED INTO OBLIVION.

DON'T DO IT AGAIN.

eek said:
had a Fenix L2D-CE and was really not impressed with it at all. It was not nearly as bright on turbo mode as I had assumed it would be. Very disappointed...
Unfortunately for you, EEK, this is only your 4th post since you joined us 20 days ago... You will really need to build up some credibility to post reviews that contradict just about the other 95% of your fellow CPF members on a particular light before your words can be taken seriously. Enjoy your time in CPF. :)

Edit to add:
Xiaowenzu said:
...Keep in mind that turbo mode will drain the power (on the L2D CE) very quickly though.
Uh.... The L2D CE on lithium AAs holds its output at 100% (~120 lumens) for more than 2 hours. The SF L2 on 2 CR123s can put out ~100 lumens for less than 40 minutes.:huh2:

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
daveman said:
Read carefully what I'm posting here, Xiaowenzu:
Sorry sir it won't happen again... it was an honest mistype on my part. :ohgeez:

eek, I agree, the reverse clicky is what puts me off the Fenix's.. I only pray they make some forward clickies. :(

Last edited:

NeoteriX

Newly Enlightened
If it's a mistake, you should probably edit your posts to reflect that. I got a little confused until I reached the bottom of the thread.

Supernam

Enlightened
You really can't go wrong for $55 bux with the L2D. The L2 is like a Porsche, whereas the L2DCE is like a Corvette- inexpensive, bang for the buck. SF's have that great build quality, stylish looks, good ergonomics, and are generally flawless in every way including their marketing skills. But when you talk about output and runtime per dollar, you can easily see why the Fenix is really easy to buy.

I bet if Fenix made a light that had knurling(sp.?) on the body, a nifty paracord lanyard, a standard clicky, and market it as a, dare I say, "tactical" light, a lot more people would really fall for it.

daveman

Enlightened
Xiaowenzu said:
Sorry sir it won't happen again... it was an honest mistype on my part.
NeoteriX said:
If it's a mistake, you should probably edit your posts to reflect that. I got a little confused until I reached the bottom of the thread.

Neo, the guy probably posted that laughably fake beamshot on purpose, as he has left it there still to confuse other CPF members.
I often hear folks who have been around CPF since the last millenium lament how the forum has changed from a community of collectors and hobbyists to a swamp for trolls to exploit for the bottom line of manufacturers. I don't fully comprehend the melancholy until now, when people would actually post false information/beamshots in order to advance their political or commercial interests. Why can't they just quietly enjoy their lights and give credit to a particular light/brand that has obviously outdone another at the moment? :(

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Do L1D-CE and L2D-CE share the same head? The real question is can I put the rechargeable Lithium AA form factor battery in L1D-CE and expect the same output (but shorter runtime) as L2D-CE ?

- Vikas

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
Vikas Sontakke said:
Do L1D-CE and L2D-CE share the same head? The real question is can I put the rechargeable Lithium AA form factor battery in L1D-CE and expect the same output (but shorter runtime) as L2D-CE ?

- Vikas

Yeah it's the same head, so I guess you could do that.

Katdaddy

Enlightened
I can't make a real world comparison against the Surefire, but I bought an L2D CE a couple weeks back and I am amazed at this thing! I keep looking for excuses to go outside after dark just so I can shine it on something. :rolleyes: This is my first leap into "real" lights so I am an admitted newbie. I have the bug now and have been looking for my next purchase. I feel I should buy a Surefire for the cool factor, but in making comparisons to output and run time I can't get past the Fenix lights. I really like the E2D Defender and will probably buy one just because, but for right now the L2D CE is my light of choice.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
daveman said:
Neo, the guy probably posted that laughably fake beamshot on purpose, as he has left it there still to confuse other CPF members.
I often hear folks who have been around CPF since the last millenium lament how the forum has changed from a community of collectors and hobbyists to a swamp for trolls to exploit for the bottom line of manufacturers. I don't fully comprehend the melancholy until now, when people would actually post false information/beamshots in order to advance their political or commercial interests. Why can't they just quietly enjoy their lights and give credit to a particular light/brand that has obviously outdone another at the moment? :(

I agree whole heartedly. I havent seen it before, but it's truly a sad day when somebody posts fake beamshots, gets corrected, and then don't even bother to edit the supposed "mistake", just to make "their" company look good. Honestly, it's people like that, that could give Surefire a bad rep. I don't have anything against Surefire, I admire what they have achieved in the flashlight world, it wouldnt have even remotely looked the same without them, but IMHO, at the moment, they are not on the top. And some fans seems to do anything in their power to make it look like it isnt so, or maybe to justify their own purchases, even to go to the extent of lying and misinforming. It's really a sad day for CPF.
I'll PM about it, and if he doesnt change it, ask a mod to do it.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
FOR SHAME! That is absolutely immature and idiotic that one would try to fake beamshots for the sake of bashing a company which has managed to make an affordable and fairly hgih quality product just so they could justify their purchase. And for the love of mike, xiaowenzu

PLEASE EDIT YOUR POST SO THAT THEY ARE ACCURATE AND TRUE. We all know the surefire is on the left.

(would that be considered forum vandalism?)

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
I have owned a Surefire L2 and I am awaiting my Fennix L2D-CE. The only reason I sold the L2 is that it was a bit too long and I really am gravitating more towards 1 cell 123 lights or single or multi cell AA lights.

That being said the L2 was damn, impressive on a ceiling bounce. I have a Fennix L1D-CE and on turbo it comes close to the the L2 so I assume the L2D-CE will be a barn burner.

Build quality goes to Surefire by leaps and bounds. I have a few Fennix lights and like them very much. I think they are good light for the dollar but to compare them to Surefire in terms of build quality is almost ludicrous in my experience. Light output, however is a different story. These suckers put out gobs of light on over the counter everyday AA batteries and that is impressive. As I said they are good lights for the dollar.

Don't construe from my comments above that the Fennix build quality sucks, it does not. It is actually quite decent in my cases. I was just trying to say that it is not anywhere near the same class as my Surefires in this regard, but I didn't pay three bills either.

If the L2D-CE puts out the same or even a bit less light then the L2 all on AAs it will be a darn exciting product. If it puts out more while running longer then it will be impressive to say the least.

Latest posts