Fenix LD02 (XP-E2, 1x AAA, clicky) keychain review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more

Dry-cell

Enlightened
I've had my Fenix LD02 since February 2014, I have it on my person often. I do wish that the light would be available in a neutral white tint also. As for the clip, I've had problems with it getting hung up, and removed from my pocket, by loose threads underneath my tee-shirt. I got out of a store one day (this was in the evening) and realized that my flashlight was just dangling by a thin thread behind me!?. The clip retention needs to be stiffer, for sure. If I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt, I like to keep the flashlight inside my left breast pocket, it's much safer there.

For changing light outputs, the tail switch is definitely my preferred method for changing of the modes. It's so much easier to use one-handed this way.

Last edited:

Berneck1

Enlightened
I've had my Fenix LD02 since February 2014, I have it on my person often. I do wish that the light would be available in a neutral white tint also. As for the clip, I've had problems with it getting hung up, and removed from my pocket, by loose threads underneath my tee-shirt. I got out of a store one day (this was in the evening) and realized that my flashlight was just dangling by a thin thread behind me!?. The clip retention needs to be stiffer, for sure. If I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt, I like to keep the flashlight inside my left breast pocket, it's much safer there.

For changing light outputs, the tail switch is definitely my preferred method for changing of the modes. It's so much easier to use one-handed this way.

Nice pic. I agree tail switch operation is much easier. I've been wanting a tail switch aaa for a while. Any of the ones I have come across did not appeal to me. This one does...

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Nighted

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Berneck, I took that picture after getting my BK14 last year.

The one thing I really liked about the LD01, was the 3 lumen output. I would have liked to see one more mode added to the LD02, of 0.42-3 lumens.

That knife is on my shortlist. Found one in D2 tool steel and some custom G10 scales.

How are you liking the Fenix LD02? I love Fenix lights and am in the market for a AAA. However, I'm leaning more towards Olight or EagleTac.

Dry-cell

Enlightened
That knife is on my shortlist. Found one in D2 tool steel and some custom G10 scales.

How are you liking the Fenix LD02? I love Fenix lights and am in the market for a AAA. However, I'm leaning more towards Olight or EagleTac.

Yeah the knife shown in the picture is the BK14, with 1095 Cro-Van steel. The BK24 has a stonewashed finish with D2 steel. Those are factory Zytel handles on the knife, shown in the picture, they come in two pairs, one black and one orange. It really makes a difference when handling the knife, far more comfortable.

Like I said in previous posts, I carry the light on me often, because I really like the flashlight. Their are things that I think could be better (in my opinion), but when is anything ever perfect...am I right?.

mactavish

Newly Enlightened
I think I may pick this light up and put it into my rotation. I have often wished Eagletac would make a D25A-clicky into an AAA light. I prefer rear clicky lights to twisty lights. This may be what I've been looking for. I kind of wish the switch was a little more recessed, but it may not pose and issue. I'll have to see.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

totally agree, the new Eagletac AAA, is a twisty, so a NO BUY for me, I have enough of those. My EDC is a DQG Tiny AAA with rear push button clicky, but that button can get turned on in my pocket, still nothing smaller or lighter I'm aware of. I may add this Fenix to my collection anyways.

keithallenlaw

Newly Enlightened
Thanks selfbuilt! Just bought and now own this little gem on behalf of your review. :goodjob:

PartyPete

Enlightened
Excellent review! :)

The LD02 is definitely on the want list. I have plenty of AAAs and no use for them...yet. The LD12 looks good, too, it's a tough call. :D

keithallenlaw

Newly Enlightened
I'm really surprised at the output this little thing has, for the size of coarse. :)

Excellent review! :)

The LD02 is definitely on the want list. I have plenty of AAAs and no use for them...yet. The LD12 looks good, too, it's a tough call. :D

warpdrive

Enlightened
so is this one of the best AAA clicky light on the market still? Thinking of gifting a couple of these. Clicky buttons seem more intuitive for people that don't usually handle flashlights.

The spacing of the levels seems a bit too narrow, and definitely the low should be lower, but for the people I'm gifting it to, the medium is probably fine for 99% of their uses

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like high CRI and neutral tint, check out the BLF-348. It uses a 5000K Nichia 219B emitter that has a CRI of 90 (Ra).

The 348 is a simple, single-mode, 1xAAA, 48-lumen flashlight, in a beautiful stainless-steel body. And, yes, it does have a reverse-clicky, tail-cap switch. Price in the group buy at BLF right now is only $6.99 USD.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get this light (or E99Ti) if Fenix had not been so stubborn to not offer a moon mode. The mid mode is ok even if it's slightly higher than the stated number. Slightly higher is is the low mode as well. It should be 1lm instead of 10!

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I actually like the LD02 mode set, because the 8lm low mode is just enough for me to work on something at arm's length. I'd be lucky to read something at six inches using 1lm.

Say rather that Fenix could make it a 4-mode light, so that they can add moonlight without making the light less versatile for the likes of me.

I don't have a problem with clicking through moonlight; I do that every time I turn my BLF A6 on (I prefer to keep mode memory turned off). I accept it as a necessary consequence of making the light more useful for others.

I do have a problem when a manufacturer decides to assume that everyone can use moonlight and I lose a mode as a result. There are quite a few lights I won't buy because they omit the intermediate modes I need.

Over the years, Fenix has been one of the few manufacturers who consistently included those intermediate modes. However, I've noticed that some of their newer designs have opted for "Eco" modes like 5lm, which I suspect is an attempt to reduce complaints from lower mode lovers.

Unfortunately, I see it as an unhappy compromise that's too bright for moonlight lovers and too low for people like me. I hope it's not going to become their standard design approach.