Fenix LD60 (3xXM-L2 - 3x18650, 6xCR123A) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, SCOPE + more!

braddy

Enlightened
I just took my first unprotected 18650s out of a battery pack, is it safe to run them in the LD60?

Since the LD60 has individual battery electronics for each battery slot, and Fenix has protection against over discharge, would it be safe to use these salvaged, unprotected batteries?

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened
I just took my first unprotected 18650s out of a battery pack, is it safe to run them in the LD60?

Since the LD60 has individual battery electronics for each battery slot, and Fenix has protection against over discharge, would it be safe to use these salvaged, unprotected batteries?

I have been using salvaged batteries in my lights for 5 years now. If a light has 2 or 3 cells in series, I go to extremes to be sure that I have cells that are in about the same shape and check their voltage several times during a couple discharges before I call them a team If they are all discharging at about the same rate, then they can stay together. I run the light for a while, remove the cells, keeping the order of insertion, and check the voltages; let them set a few hours and then check again. If the voltage is close every time I check them, they are a team! In a battery composed of 6 cells, I usually get one three cell team or two two cell teams. I have never found all the cell to be in the same shape. Perhaps in a new battery they would all be the same but Definitely not in an old battery. I seldom use the 3 cell teams in a light for more than a few minutes at a time though. I think it is just too unsafe. I usually use new protected cells from a trusted name I have read about in this forum in 3 and 4 cell lights. I have 12 Nitecore 3400 mAh in my TK75 (2 add on sections).

Now having said all of that, it is my humble and most likely incorrect opinion that because this light has one circuit for one LED that it is the same thing as having 3 flashlights duct taped together. In that case all you would do to unprotected cells would be to over-discharge them. I am looking at this light just for the purpose of having a "kick lumen" light that uses salvaged cells.

braddy

Enlightened
Now having said all of that, it is my humble and most likely incorrect opinion that because this light has one circuit for one LED that it is the same thing as having 3 flashlights duct taped together. In that case all you would do to unprotected cells would be to over-discharge them. I am looking at this light just for the purpose of having a "kick lumen" light that uses salvaged cells.

Thanks for the reply, it seems that way to me as well, I'm very wary of using unprotected batteries, but for the LD60, I don't see how they can be of any meaningful risk.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for another great review Selfbuilt(a bit late but anyway)!

LD60 is pretty much like a 4Seven MMU-X3 but with another design, UI and battery setup, and with much higher max output and about the same output at the high mode. I guess the beam profile is pretty similar.
When I look at your runtime graphs I see that the output at high is slightly higher than MMU-X3(the last version I have) and with twice the runtime.
Of course 3x18650 outperforms a single 26650 so it's not a surprise. Interesting light indeed(But Fenix; why are you so restricted to offer neutral white options???).

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
One additional comment. This excellent light has a relatively short run time at higher levels. 4x1650's would make a real difference in run time, especially at higher levels. The weight increase would be small, and the body could be less than 3mm wider, as Nitecore accomplishes in the TM11.

Brightnorm

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened
One additional comment. This excellent light has a relatively short run time at higher levels. 4x1650's would make a real difference in run time, especially at higher levels. The weight increase would be small, and the body could be less than 3mm wider, as Nitecore accomplishes in the TM11.

Brightnorm

I think they would need to have 6, not 4 due to the 3 emitters though. The big selling feature for this light for me is the ability to use 3 cells of varying health/charge. I have several lights that use cells in series or parallel or both (4 cell lights). This "3 on 3" or "1 on 1" configuration takes the danger out of cell choice. Who knows how cells bought together will age or even if they are really the same to start with without a bit of testing. Kind of takes the worry out of being bright!!;)

markr6

Flashaholic
This light never really seemed to stand out. I don't hear about it much but really like the form. 3x18650 is pretty much my limit. I may keep my eyes open for a deal in the near future.

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened
This light never really seemed to stand out. I don't hear about it much but really like the form. 3x18650 is pretty much my limit. I may keep my eyes open for a deal in the near future.

They had one in the clearance section of fenixoutfitters a couple weeks ago that was a return. Forget how much it was but it was a deal. Almost bought it, should have bought it but I had just ordered a Nitecore EA81. I really should get one of these while they are available. Actually, perhaps this is a good high output gift for the technically challenged that want big light. I have several in my family that kind of get a far away look in their eyes when I start talking about 18650 cells. Kind of like "I wish he would just shut up and give me one of those lights". fenixlighting has a package deal for 140 that includes 3 2300 cells and a charger. Less chance of a loved one blowing up his house and family that way perhaps.:oops:

braddy

Enlightened
Having bought a used LD60 I wondered why there was little discussion of it, but after a few months, it has become my primary (none EDC) light.

I made a very smart buy, the LD60 is a super all-round flashlight for the house, the farm, for a yard or for acreage, and it is family friendly.