Fenix P3D and Lithium-ion Batteries

soffiler

Enlightened
luchs said:
am i right that i can't run the P3D head with a 2AA-tube / NiMh?
only 2x14500 will work in a 2AA??

Again the disclaimer that I don't speak for, or represent, Fenix; but as I understand the situation, you are correct.

The P3D appears to use a buck converter, and 2xAA lights require a boost converter.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read through this thread (admittedly briefly) and I have some questions.

If the voltage supported is 3,6-8,4, how will it work with 18650 or whatever single li-ion that fits?
How fast does these kind of batteries drop to under 3,6V?
Does it mean that the light will work, but only briefly when the voltage is over 3,6V?
And will it maintain the same brightness as long as the voltage is between 3,6V to 8,4V?

Thanks.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion when using 1 Li-Ion(17650,17670,18650 if it fits) ~ 4.2v fully charged you will get around 135 lumens with long runtimes. With a 2 Li-Ion(CR123,RCR123,14500 with a L2D tube) configuration ~6.0v-8.4v you would 160 lumens(manufacture claim), but shorter runtimes. This is just my opinion.

Dobbler

Enlightened
In the other thread the Fenix service person said internal tube diameter was 16.8mm, so I doubt an 18650 would work in the PD3.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll add another piece to the P3D CE puzzle. I sent the following e-mail to Fenix([email protected]) yesterday:

"I am a Fenix fan, and am interested in the new P3D CE model.

Two questions, please:

1) Is it OK to run the P3D CE on two RCR123A rechargeable li-ion cells?

2) If so, will all the levels of output still function properly on these cells?

Thanks very much"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today I received the following reply:

"Here I answer your puzzling.

1. P3D could support RCR123 voltage, but we do not suggest you use them. Because some rechargeable battery is not good in their function, so they will hurt the circuit board.

2. all the function still normal when you use protected RCR123 battery.

Any query, let me know!

Have a great day!

Sincerely Elly
Fenix service team"

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
So, does anybody know for sure what kind of batteries we can use in these lights? I have both lights on order and would like to use rechargeable batteries.

:)

mtn_dance

Newly Enlightened
bridgman said:
The LiFePO4 batteries seem like an ideal match for the P3D. I think they would even fit (although someone needs to check AW's thread for sure).
I have the P3D and the AW LiFePO4 batteries on order. I'll report if they fit when they all get here. :grin2:

I was just wondering if it was safe to turn the light on if the batteries fit. :drool:
Otherwise I will use them in my 1xRCR123 lights, if they fit. :D

mc3jp2

Newly Enlightened
I decided not to buy a P3D, which uses 123A batteries, and stay with AA technology.

I received the following information from the manufacturer so I want to pass it on to the readers of CandlePowerForums.

---------------
EMAIL FROM FENIX

To: <[email protected]>, [mc3jp2]
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007

Hello John and [mc3jp2],

Regarding to your query, I reply both of you.

The working voltage of P3D (Cree Edition) is from 4.2V to 8.4V, if the battery voltage is less than 4.2V, it will warning you via flicker phenomena. So it means P3D (Cree Edition) can support rechargeable battery RCR123.

The tube's inside diameter is 17.1mm, the length of it is 68.80mm, so 17670 can be filled in, but you can not use it. Its voltage can not get P3D (Cree Edition) working voltage.

[....]
---------------

Thank you to all who have posted on this topic.

sims2k

Enlightened
I wonder if the P3D is comparable to the L2DCE in light output in real world. I was going to order one myself but have not done so after reading through a number of P3D threads.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
mc3jp2 said:
I decided not to buy a P3D, which uses 123A batteries, and stay with AA technology.

I received the following information from the manufacturer so I want to pass it on to the readers of CandlePowerForums.

---------------
EMAIL FROM FENIX

Hello John and [mc3jp2],

The working voltage of P3D (Cree Edition) is from 4.2V to 8.4V, if the battery voltage is less than 4.2V, it will warning you via flicker phenomena. So it means P3D (Cree Edition) can support rechargeable battery RCR123.

The tube's inside diameter is 17.1mm, the length of it is 68.80mm, so 17670 can be filled in, but you can not use it. Its voltage can not get P3D (Cree Edition) working voltage.

[....]
---------------

Ahh! Good, AW's rechargeable 3.7v High Caps are OK. Since Discharge circuit cuts well above 2.5v then in operation, light will just off itself when the batteries circuits cut in....excellent news. Thanks mC3jp2 :)

mc3jp2

Newly Enlightened
jumpstat said:
Ahh! Good, AW's rechargeable 3.7v High Caps are OK. Since Discharge circuit cuts well above 2.5v then in operation, light will just off itself when the batteries circuits cut in....excellent news. Thanks mC3jp2
smile.gif
I believe these are the rechargeable, high current, protected 123A's jumpstat referred to. However, the overdischarge protection specification is at 2.45 volts.

Last edited:

BMRSEB

Enlightened
mc3jp2 said:

---------------
EMAIL FROM FENIX

Hello John and [mc3jp2],

[....]
---------------

That sux.. If I understand that correctly, non rechargeable 123's will produce a flickering indicating "voltage too low".. I don't want to bother getting RCR123's, I have enough CR123's. I'll skip just like mc3jp2.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're not understanding. Two fresh CR123s will have 6.4V. It doesn't flicker till below 4.2.

who

Newly Enlightened
Just got my three P3Ds, very quick observations on one sample with various batteries:

2 CR123 – all modes work
2 RCR123 - all modes work
1 unprotected 17670 - all modes work (had to take the wrapper off to fit)
1 14500 – all modes work in L1D body
2 14500 - all modes work in L2D body
2 Ni-MH – barely lights up
1 CR123 - only one mode (low) works in P2D body

The 17670 was measured at 4.10V. The 14500 was 4V.
One 14500 at 3.86V in the L1D body will trigger the low battery warning mode, a very high flashing rate. The regular strobe mode works. All other modes work fine with 3.86V.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
mtn_dance said:
What about the LiFePo4 batteries in this post? They are 3.0v (nominal 3.2v); what about using them in the P3D?
Those batteries aren't protected, If you run them to the point the light starts to dim you will probably trash them. Maybe, just maybe the low battery warning signal will flash before the batteries are trashed. But a buck circuit can easily pull the voltage down to the Vf of the LED (3.7v or so) without any noticeable dimming, so I'd be real careful.