Fenix PD35 Tailswitch Issue.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 1st Gen PD35. I have been through countless adventures with it. Now the tail switch wont turn on the light. Other tail switches from other like sized lights work great with my PD35. But the original seems to be shot. Is there any way I could send it in to Fenix for repair? I know the V1 PD35 is old news but I am kinda into it.

Thank You

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 1st Gen PD35. I have been through countless adventures with it. Now the tail switch wont turn on the light. Other tail switches from other like sized lights work great with my PD35. But the original seems to be shot. Is there any way I could send it in to Fenix for repair? I know the V1 PD35 is old news but I am kinda into it.

Thank You
Have you done the usual due diligence things of checking for tightness of the threaded retaining ring / collar in the tail cap, or oxidation / crud under that ring / switch assy (which likely means removing it to find), etc.?

Be aware that the aforementioned ring in that PD35 is likely reverse-threaded, per this. Won't say for sure, but be prepared for that possibility, as not all have been done the same way. If in doubt, their CS could probably confirm:

If you're beyond that stuff, I'd bet you can get that fixed by Fenix for a nominal charge. I've never had to use them for repair (only tech support with questions), but from what I gather they support their stuff pretty well when repairs are involved.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of years ago I used Fenix warranty for a side switch issue. Not only did they do the job perfectly I had my light back in EIGHT DAYS. Worked perfectly. Apparently Fenix has a state side warranty dept. My light NEVER left the States. I would be more than happy to pay a nominal fee.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
My PD35 Tac started flickering a bit. I contacted the American Fenix customer service and they informed me about the retaining ring that does come loose sometimes. They may have even directed me to a video about it, can't remember for sure, it was a few years ago.

As mentioned above, mine was reverse threaded, and had come loose. I think I used needle nose pliers, or you can use retaining ring pliers if you have them. I tightened it up and problem solved. That light is 8 to 9 years old, and still works like a champ.

If that's not the problem, you may just need a new switch. I'm sure Customer Service will help you out. They've been great every time I need them.

I found this video on youtube:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lord I hope so. The tailcaps I have taken off of 2 Thrunites work on the PD35 perfectly no problem. I am going to contact Fenix customer service. They have done me right before.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a soft spot for the original PD35. Mine was a gift from a good friend and is in my bag right next to me as I type this.
Good luck, let us know how it goes. I have no doubt Fenix customer service will hook you up.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Just voicing my support also for the gen. 1 / 2014 Fenix PD35.

It was my first proper work light, and spent many years on my belt, and it never failed or complained regardless of whatever harsh treatment I gave it. And the 960 Lumen output served me plenty.

Hope it worked out for you.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you done the usual due diligence things of checking for tightness of the threaded retaining ring / collar in the tail cap, or oxidation / crud under that ring / switch assy (which likely means removing it to find), etc.?

Be aware that the aforementioned ring in that PD35 is likely reverse-threaded, per this. Won't say for sure, but be prepared for that possibility, as not all have been done the same way. If in doubt, their CS could probably confirm:

If you're beyond that stuff, I'd bet you can get that fixed by Fenix for a nominal charge. I've never had to use them for repair (only tech support with questions), but from what I gather they support their stuff pretty well when repairs are involved.
Yes I have done all the diligence due for a high output EDC light. I went and scored an almost brand new 850 lumen PD35 still in the box. It is flawless from end to end. I still have THAT PD35 though. I am going to attempt to use their service department again. Years ago I had the SAME PD35 that I am trying to get serviced. Fenix replaced something I forget what it was. It was an amazing LESS than 2 WEEK turn around time. I wish I had the tools to make my own lights.