Fenix PD40 MT-G2 images and Beamshots

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
having to press hold for turbo is lame and for a reflector of that size putting out 1000/1600 lumens 10000 candela is pretty weak..the switch looks like the cheap plastic mode switch of my TK22 Id pass on this Fenix and go for the TK35 UE, much better switching and it has good throw
Tk35ue dosnt have any throw either, its not the light, its the nature of the mtg2. Lovely tint though.

pblanch

Enlightened
I still have (and use) my PD30. Still think its a great torch.

The successors only seemed small upgrades and not worthy but seems this may be a good upgrade thanks for the shots.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo! Awesome work. Having done a few beamshot reviews myself I know how much time and effort something like this takes. Outstanding photos.

I never even considered one of these lights, but after your write up and photos, that has changed. Gonna have to get one.... :devil: I have a lonely 26650 cell that hasn't had a host for quite a while.

And as for the light, beautiful tint and I love the beam pattern of the MT-G2. Plenty of throwers and floody lights at my disposal, but I haven't had one like this since I let go of my Wildcat.

Thanks for doing this!

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
I still have (and use) my PD30. Still think its a great torch.

The successors only seemed small upgrades and not worthy but seems this may be a good upgrade thanks for the shots.

It is small with more output,that's very great.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Awesome pics and beamshots andreas! Thanks for taking all the time to do that.

This PD40 is on my short list. I have the 4Sevens MMU-X3 and I like the size and form factor, but the UI is just 'eh' on the 4Sevens.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This PD40 is on my short list. I have the 4Sevens MMU-X3 and I like the size and form factor, but the UI is just 'eh' on the 4Sevens.

The UI is something I can live with on the MMU-X3. What REALLY gets to me with that light is the yuckiness of the tint. The PD40 will be MUCH better in this respect.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD40 has a $50 competitor, the Shadow JM35. Bigger head than the PD40, allegedly 1800 lumen on turbo.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD40 has a $50 competitor, the Shadow JM35. Bigger head than the PD40, allegedly 1800 lumen on turbo.

Looks interesting. But it's certainly not as compact. While the PD40 CAN be pocketed on, say, a hike (albeit not in skinny jeans), the Shadow most definitely can't. Of course, the larger head DOES mean better heat dissipation. It also remains to be seen whether the lumen output of the Shadow is real or Chinese.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree.

I agree. - Cool Whites are a dime a dozen. - I like some of them ok, and there are plenty of other lights to get them in.

Lets keep the 5000k MT-G2!

Thanks,
-Chuck

if you want a cool white light with around 1600 lumens AND XM-L2 emitters in a 1x26650, that light is already available with the Foursevens MMU-X3.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugly cool white tint? NO THANKS! Give me the MT-G2 any day!
I never said anything about ditching the MT-G2, if you like pale yellow (****) color - go for it. But there are also some decent coll whote tints like 1D or 2C. Extra throw in a compact form is another bonus - I hate the fact that basically all modern lights are floody.

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
Ugly cool white tint? NO THANKS! Give me the MT-G2 any day!
XM-L2 U4 =/= cool white. U4 is a bin number. Nothing to do with tint...

I find 1C is just pure white. There is no green, no blue, no purple, no yellow, just white.

andrew2

Newly Enlightened

Looks interesting,is there any posts about that product? I haven't heard of it.