Fenix TK76

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people here have expressed that they do like the look of the TK76. We don't all like the same things and some people do go for function first. I personally like a good looking light and this one is very unusual, but not so much a turn off after seeing the beam shots. Plus, a good flashlight collection should include some variety and that still doesn't force anyone to buy them all :)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say from reading a lot of posts in this forum over the years, although quality of built, innovative functions and brightness are important, I believe the look of the light plays a major roll in the decision for purchase by the majority here in this forum, and probably more so than non flashahics.

Even right down to the finish itself. How many times do you hear people comment on the quality (or the lack of) finish, may it be the polish of metals or anodising, then you have different colour options. Or you can go to the custom & modified section in this form and some will have up to 4 or 5 options of metal with different cut and finishes, which are not all based on durability.

Although I can't speak for you (even though I find it hard to believe that the form has never even slightly entered your mind), to me it's clear, conscious or subconsciously the influence of beauty and craftsmanship is a major factor for the many, admit it or not.

We all see and want different quallities and interests in life, what's wrong with that! Obviously quality and inovation is important, but when function meets form, that is the cream! We are a design of nature to strive for perfection.

So, would it be fare to say your on the wrong forum for not taking into consideration the look of a flashlight?

Yeah but for some reason it's still kind of a faux pas to admit around here. Anything beyond a passing comment, or worse if you're suspected of considering aesthetics among your purchasing criteria- "Don't know, don't care. I don't buy SHELF QUEENS!"

I get it though.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people here have expressed that they do like the look of the TK76. We don't all like the same things and some people do go for function first. I personally like a good looking light and this one is very unusual, but not so much a turn off after seeing the beam shots. Plus, a good flashlight collection should include some variety and that still doesn't force anyone to buy them all :)

Probably, the first Ford looked ugly to the average horse carriage rider. I know, bike helmets freaked me out, as did the three point harness?

If looks are important in your flashlights, how could you pass up this light, just to have a different looking light in your collection. Though a reference to the three emmitters analogy would be more appropriate here, I guess.

I personally hate design that doesn't follow function. Flat roofs, useless atriums, and 45 inch chested women, do nothing for me.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably, the first Ford looked ugly to the average horse carriage rider. I know, bike helmets freaked me out, as did the three point harness?

If looks are important in your flashlights, how could you pass up this light, just to have a different looking light in your collection. Though a reference to the three emmitters analogy would be more appropriate here, I guess.

I personally hate design that doesn't follow function. Flat roofs, useless atriums, and 45 inch chested women, do nothing for me.

I might beg to differ on the last one :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tend to think that back in the days, car designers had to litterally crack their heads open to come up with a design that would please people in order to get them away from their horse, which is even easier to get attached to than an inanimate object. Obviously, the notion of what pleases the eye has changed a lot (just look at how people dressed in those times.)

I should have said that, to me, looks are important to varying degrees. I want my EDC to look like jewelry and most of my lights to be pleasant to look at. But when it comess to fighting the dark for the sake of fighting the dark, I'll take anything that will blast a wall of light and fits my budget, beam requirements, hands and uses batteries I have or am willing to get. There's nothing like walking in a pitch-black field and making it turn to sudden daylight. Of course, that last category is not something I use on a daily basis. Take my TK70 for example; it sits next to the bed 95% of the time. Once in a while I take it out, have a short mad scientist laugh and put it back ready for intruder alert duty.

And then we have to take into consideration that people have different tastes when it comes to looks. I'm sure the Fenix engineers felt the TK76 was good looking and so do some CPFers. It is an outrageous desing and all outrageous desings do get very pronounced but different responses from people. I personally can't stand the looks of a FIAT 500, which reminds me of the Dacia in how ugly I perceive it to be, but they sell like hot cakes over here. I have to live with that. At leat the TK76 fits in a drawer but I just might leave it out on a table for the sake of making people react ;)

I might beg to differ on the last one :)

And I insist I definitely differ on that one :D

Last edited:

spankone

Enlightened
I'm on the tk51 list but not made it to the tk76. Shame as there isn't a UK tester but tbh I think the tk51 suits my needs better and I'll enjoy using it more. The 76'er sure looks like a brute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously, the notion of what pleases the eye has changed a lot (just look at how people dressed in those times.)

I want my EDC to look like jewelry and most of my lights to be pleasant to look at. But when it comess to fighting the dark for the sake of fighting the dark, I'll take anything that will blast a wall of light and fits my budget, beam requirements, hands and uses batteries I have or am willing to get.

I just might leave the TK76 out on a table for the sake of making people react ;)

I will buy this behavior, as logical and sane. (the TK76 is not edc.)

I wonder if the EDC has gone far enough in transparent design/practical-ergonomics to beat out my cell phone's built in led for emergencies.

Last edited:

Lomandor

Enlightened
I will buy this behavior, as logical and sane. (the TK76 is not edc.)

I wonder if the EDC has gone far enough in transparent design/practical-ergonomics to beat out my cell phone's built in led for emergencies.

It is obvious that my post has been derailed from the main point of your original comment.

Well, if you are a here to be sexy, aren't you on the wrong website?

For the most, my first impulse for purchasing a flashlight is its function and performance, for which many I use as a tool at work. And for what I do, I would like a flashlight that would light up 1000m at 2lm.

I don't know what you do for a living or your spare time but what exactly would your use be for the light? The TK76 is a powerful light, for a big price. How many people on this forum want a flashlight that will reach the next mile or light up like the sun. BUT, do they really need that much light. Do they really need all those extra lumens, is all that extra throw and spill really going to help them do a task that was not possible with a lesser light.

So if you ask me, wouldn't having all those extra lumens be just as transparent as the next guy that has a "SHELF QUEEN" (just in a different form), even though there was no mention of buying "SHELF QUEENS" as a light can still be practical with great functions but still be a well crafted flashlight (function meets form) and NOT just be something you put on your shelf and look at.

Then comes the cost factor, others would question your sanity for even considering the thought of spending that much money on a flashlight.

Some people like form, others like performance, I like both, some like quality, some like budget. Different people find values in different things, If you ask me, don't judge and don't be judged. This forum is for all of us....

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what you do for a living

For a living, I stare at walls and siding, looking for textural and color imperfections. I also pay others to do it for me. In my spare time, I clean house and dust hunt, among a few other things-like mow the dark and organize sub 1 lux areas.--If you look at something, you want throw; if you are looking for something or navigating, you want flood.

Until wearable lights could get 8 hours of good light, I was a $2 squeeze light person (held in my mouth). All the pretty, attractive flashlights I got for birthdays and holidays would rot in my trunk. They were nearly always rotted and dead every emergency.

To me the ideal light would be an high cri 8,000 candela hotspot 3 foot across at 6 foot--10 hour runtime. This is not doable for foreseeable future. But for now, I think the lights to beat are the unwieldy BT20 (400+ lumen drive level) for the head lamp, and a highly modified unwieldy TK35, that I made into a wristlight (which I can only wear for about 4 hours before discomfort). Both have ergonomic form factor issues, but the level of light probably wont be beat for a decade or more. I have been buying other dropins and dual 18650 xml bike lights (one with 3 xmls) that are remarkably comfortable to wear--unlike the bt20 and tk35. But none of my summer or fall purcases compare to those two lights: the TK35 and BT20, which I purchased this spring. So, my eye is on the tk51, I think.

Just got to love Fenix, at least until-on day- their bean counters go cheap on the buck controllers.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was there a photo in one of these new fenix light threads that shows the tk76 & tk51 side by side, or am I imagining that? Couldn't find it again here or the tk51 thread.

And I'm not talking about the one where they're blurred out like japanese pron.

Lomandor

Enlightened
For a living, I stare at walls and siding, looking for textural and color imperfections. I also pay others to do it for me. In my spare time, I clean house and dust hunt, among a few other things-like mow the dark and organize sub 1 lux areas.

Bahahaa!! Maybe you can blow spit bubbles and lick the sky while your staring at the siding and walls. If you have any spare time, maybe you can go to your local petsmart and buy bird seed, then you can see your birds sprout in the dark with the aid of night vision goggles and watch em grow.

Between your BT20 and your TK35 you could impersonate a character from Battlestar Galactica or lost in space. Yes, I like the idea of a super bright headlamp. Im yet to acquire one and your mod BT20 sound like a blast. Would definitely come in handy for hands free mode. Though I have been holding off them cause I don't like the idea of a lot of weight and bulk. Maybe I will end up going along the lines of an Armytek or Zebralight.

Fenix surely has its place, and for me, my TK75 should serve me fine for a while.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was there a photo in one of these new fenix light threads that shows the tk76 & tk51 side by side, or am I imagining that? Couldn't find it again here or the tk51 thread.

And I'm not talking about the one where they're blurred out like japanese pron.

On phone browser now. But, I recall the side by side in the youtube video.

I could take the time to find the link later to swap address with you of those blurred japanese photos. ;-)

yliu

Enlightened
Looks pretty scifi! I hope it will have some kind of auto-dimming feature like the Nitecore sens or the Patzl Nao.

BTW, there are empty slots above the flood lights. Are those merely the heat sink design or is Fenix planning to put something (more LEDs) there?:devil:

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Lights like this are impressive, but remind me of the apparent impossibility of achieving one of the flashaholic's holy grails; the variable-focus light with constant sweet spot.

Brightnorm