Filament LED

James1095

Newly Enlightened
I wonder where they get the 309 Lumens = 60W equivalent? Must be comparing to carbon filament incandescent?

A friend of mine bought that same lamp at Lowes. The thing that bugs me about most of these vintage style lamps, incandescent included is that the nub on the end looks nothing at all like the exhaust pip it attempts to emulate. I think it would look better with a smooth top than that fake bump.

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
I bought the same Feit as Photonwrangler. I too wonder how long these can last.....

An interesting question... I put a filament LED into a long term test and the 1st reading suggests the life will be OK. [different source than the Feit, but I presume somewhat similar construction]

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Have you measured the flicker?
Unfortunately, most LED filament bulbs appear to have flicker. Apparently there is not enough room in the bulb for the electronics to smooth out the waveform, or at least that's my guess. I suspect these LED filaments are running directly off the outlet voltage, after only being passed through a current limiting resistor and bridge rectifier. Each filament consists of a string of many tiny LEDs, so they do not necessarily need lower voltages.

poiihy

Enlightened
most of the a19 bulbs i saw reviewed had a smoothing capacitor and no flicker. i think the candelabra bulbs with very tiny pcbs do flicker badly. that sucks and i hope nice places dont use the flickering ones or that would be bad. people could get head aches and stuff.

sent from annoying ipod

SemiMan

Banned
If you don't care about dimming or EnergyStar (or PF/THD), then it's easy to make a low flicker bulb.

Toolboxkid

Enlightened
I've had great luck with these bulbs. Finally a suitable replacement for all our incans. No flicker, ultra low dimming, great tint. We have replaced a few through the house to compare the difference, everyone agrees that these are more pleasing to the eye than our regular light bulbs. So about to order 12 more!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

poiihy

Enlightened
If you don't care about dimming or EnergyStar (or PF/THD), then it's easy to make a low flicker bulb.

I think there should be more non-dimmable bulbs that don't flicker than dimmable bulbs that do flicker. The majority of bulbs aren't in fixtures connected to a dimmer switch, including the dimmable bulbs. We've lived fine with non-dimmable CFLs so it is no bother to live with non-dimmable LEDs.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
most of the a19 bulbs i saw reviewed had a smoothing capacitor and no flicker. i think the candelabra bulbs with very tiny pcbs do flicker badly. that sucks and i hope nice places dont use the flickering ones or that would be bad. people could get head aches and stuff.
Oh yes, the filament bulbs I tried were all candelabra bulbs. That would explain it.

SemiMan

Banned
I think there should be more non-dimmable bulbs that don't flicker than dimmable bulbs that do flicker. The majority of bulbs aren't in fixtures connected to a dimmer switch, including the dimmable bulbs. We've lived fine with non-dimmable CFLs so it is no bother to live with non-dimmable LEDs.

Unfortunately or fortunately things like title 24 in CA have a trickle effect and everything ends up dimmable ... And people want EnergyStar for rebates but would say not even needed any more.

melty

Newly Enlightened
I just discovered LED filament bulbs! They are fascinating!

The most efficient ones I've been able to find are made by Satco.

#S9252 = A19 6.5 watts 810 lumens
#S9255 = G25 6.5 watts 810 lumens
#S9269 = BT15 6.5 watts 810 lumens

Fully dimmable. The claimed 125 lumens per watt is very impressive. I wonder what the PF is like. I may be able to pick up a BT15 bulb locally, but the other sizes appear to have 1-3 weeks lead time. They have other sizes and wattages as well. These are just the ones that I'm interested in.

I was able to pick up a 4-watt non-dimmable T10 bulb to replace the 40-watt incandescent on our piano. I am VERY impressed with the light output. It's pretty much on par with the 60-watt G16 incandescent bulbs in our chandelier. I'm very much in awe of this LED filament technology right now.

wws944

Enlightened
...I was able to pick up a 4-watt non-dimmable T10 bulb to replace the 40-watt incandescent on our piano. I am VERY impressed with the light output. It's pretty much on par with the 60-watt G16 incandescent bulbs in our chandelier. I'm very much in awe of this LED filament technology right now.

Which filament LED T10 did you buy? Our piano lamp has a 25w T10 in it. It is one of the few incandescent bulbs left in our house that gets regular (1/2 hour/day) use.

melty

Newly Enlightened
Which filament LED T10 did you buy? Our piano lamp has a 25w T10 in it. It is one of the few incandescent bulbs left in our house that gets regular (1/2 hour/day) use.

Same here. My wife teaches piano and that T10 bulb was pretty much the final straggler.

The one I got is on Amazon if you search for part no: LB5770NC4-2700K

I got it locally from the same seller (Lamps Plus) for the same price. Amazon has a cheaper one that looks very similar (part no: ZL-T10-FIL-4W-24K), but I wanted the instant gratification. There's also a 2 watt version (part no: CyiSSDN2C). I'm curious about this one because it might work to be left on at night. The 4 watt LED is much brighter than the 40 watt incandescent it replaced (too bright to double as a night light). Although, that wire around the bulb looks like it could leave a pretty bad shadow depending on the bulb's orientation.