Finally found a use for flashy beacon mode!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slow strobe drastically reduces jetlag! Cool stuff. We'll need to start seeing jetlag beacon in some of these disco modes :)

Exposure to short flashes of light at night could help sleeping travellers adjust to new time zones and avoid jet lag, according to US scientists.

The light beams travel through the eyelids and this tells the brain to re-set the body's inner biological clock, the Stanford researchers believe.

They tested the method in 39 volunteers and found it shifted a person's body clock by about two hours.

An hour of the flashlight therapy was enough to achieve this effect.

Whole article here.
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35523024

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other uses may include being a 'beacon'. Crazy thought.
Boy that is a crazy thought! Who would have thought of that lol.

Seriously though I have never found the beacon mode to be useful. I have tried to use it with a traffic wand for directing traffic and it's too slow of a flash yet strobe is to fast. Tried using it to mark my position when on the lake or broke down, same problem with the traffic wand. I think a beacon mode would be more useful if it was three quick flashes and then a pause, three more flashes, pause. Each pause be a lower solid ouput. Something similar to this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QxdDXC5P4E

Last edited:

faucon

Enlightened
I've thought of using beacon mode to mark my starting position at night---for example, if I have to leave camp briefly at night in a very dark, wooded area and want to easily find my way back to my tent. Like many of us I imagine, I've used strobe to warn other drivers away from my stalled car and readily identify it to AAA on a busy highway.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy that is a crazy thought! Who would have thought of that lol.

Seriously though I have never found the beacon mode to be useful. I have tried to use it with a traffic wand for directing traffic and it's too slow of a flash yet strobe is to fast. Tried using it to mark my position when on the lake or broke down, same problem with the traffic wand. I think a beacon mode would be more useful if it was three quick flashes and then a pause, three more flashes, pause. Each pause be a lower solid ouput. Something similar to this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QxdDXC5P4E

Beacon mode works excellent to find your campsite easily when out fishing past dark. Or to find your campsite anytime you are out past dark really. It also works great to find downed game after dark if you have to leave the carcass for any reason(like if you shoot a deer right after sunset and have to go get an ATV to drag it to the road). I personally find beacon mode far more useful then any strobe mode. Although I like to have a strobe for certain things as well.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've thought of using beacon mode to mark my starting position at night---for example, if I have to leave camp briefly at night in a very dark, wooded area and want to easily find my way back to my tent. Like many of us I imagine, I've used strobe to warn other drivers away from my stalled car and readily identify it to AAA on a busy highway.

Beacon mode works excellent to find your campsite easily when out fishing past dark. Or to find your campsite anytime you are out past dark really. It also works great to find downed game after dark if you have to leave the carcass for any reason(like if you shoot a deer right after sunset and have to go get an ATV to drag it to the road). I personally find beacon mode far more useful then any strobe mode. Although I like to have a strobe for certain things as well.
I guess maybe I've not been in the correct situation for its use. Glad you guys do get some use out of it. To me it just seems to be to slow of a flash on all of my lights except for my Eagletac D25A2. It has a higher rate flash that isn't anywhere near a strobe but it flashes faster than the beacon mode did on the Nitecore EA4 I had. Maybe I will eventually have a need for it and then I can actually base my opinions on more substantial experience.

I just discovered my TK45 has a fast flash mode as well, good to know.

faucon

Enlightened
I guess maybe I've not been in the correct situation for its use.
I just discovered my TK45 has a fast flash mode as well, good to know.

Until I thought of using beacon mode as a locator, I was a bit puzzled by its utility too. Most modes do have some kind of reason for their existence---some of course more than others.

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
My Nitecore has a beacon function and I always wondered what I could use that for. So thats when I thought about airports, I kid you not lol. So imagine worse case scenerio, city wide power outage, out so many days that the airport generators run out of fuel. How else do you direct planes down to the runways? How about 100 of these flashlights lighting up the run way and two of them flashing beacons? :p