• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Finally ... my PD is here!

thk

Newly Enlightened
Here are my impressions of it so far since I've never held a PD before buying one. Now, I've read the FAQs and I totally knew what to expect overall so I'm just writing about what I've noticed about the light.

Machining could be a bit better. The head has some rough spots and where the tail end was tapped for the screws could be cleaner. HA is nice and uniform in color. But who cares about overall asthetics, right? Function following form and all that jazz.

Tried out the piston drive and it's smooth. Twisting the head to activate the light is also very nice. Very happy with how it operates. Also, it carries a LOT better than my HDS EDC. Personally, I thought the HDS was a little bit on the "fat" side and the head stuck out a bit too much making it a bit uncomfortable sitting with it clipped in my jean pocket (not a problem with slacks though). The PD just feels like it disappears into my pocket and the clip position on the tail rocks.

Now, for the most important part. The actual light part of a flashlight. I opted for the UV1J since a lot of people seems to be happy with this particular bin. On low, I think it seems slightly on the greenish yellow side compared to my HDS which seems bluish. On high though, the HDS still seems bluish while the PD is white. Just plain white. Milk white perhaps? Either way, it's helluva alot nicer.

I think I finally found my EDC after going through a bunch of different lights. At least, till another run of Ti PDs become available with maybe some custom settings for the driver? :nana:

Last edited:

ibcj

Enlightened
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the PD. :twothumbs

I went through the same thing last year, buying and selling several lights (including HDS U85), until I found the PD. As for the Ti edition, it doesn't have any sharp edges, and has a very nice feel to it. I don't think that it can be dethroned. If it can, Don is going to have to come up with something really special. ;)

thk

Newly Enlightened
Small update.

Finally get home to my dark apartment to try out the light after work. Turned it on low and I noticed that now the light is definitely yellowish/warm like an incand. Perhaps it looked greenish because of the fluorecent lamps in the office but now the tint looks amazing when there is no ambient light. Popped it on high and my jaw just dropped. Holy crap is this thing bright and white!

Sort of curious about the TY0x that is "regularly" available but I'm going to hold out and save just in case another Ti run happens.

X Racer

Enlightened
Just what I wanted to hear. I have one of the UVIJ PDs with a Ti bezel on the way and have been wondering what to expect in the tint department. I do prefer my LEDs a warmer tint anyway. Sounds fantastic, can't wait until it gets here.

Macaw

Enlightened
Yep, another flashaholic coming into the light...:goodjob:

pmsar35

Newly Enlightened
thk,

Congratulations on your purchase of a great light! After seeing some recent threads, I bought a slate PD with UV1J LED. Comparing it outside at night, the tint of the UV1J let me see more detail in foliage than the whiter tint of the TY0J in my other PD...of course, your eyes may vary! :)

My PD also replaced an HDS EDC (Basic 42 XR GT) as my every day carry light. It's sitting in the coin pocket of my jeans as I'm typing this...

thk

Newly Enlightened
marxs said:
wow is it that small it will actually fit the coin pocket?

mark

Guess it'll depend on the jeans. Some have really shallow coin pockets while some have rather deep ones.

marxs

Enlightened
nice! im thinking of picking up a pd...have the money but im curious if don is still making any in HA3-NAT...i know i know the faqs say otherwise...but im just hoping.

mark