First and last li-ion light

carrot

Flashaholic
Which charger are you referring to?
The new Cytac charger that 4sevens is stocking. Charges faster than the 139, and doesn't require spacers for RCR123. My particular sample is a little finicky about nipple-less cells, but 47s is working on a solution.

hatman

Enlightened
Out of the hundreds of thousands of batteries and lights that have been sold through PTS I have never once seen a quality Li-ion battery leak with normal use. However I have seen thousands of AA batteries leak and ruin flashlights.

What brand of battery was it? You should contact the dealer you purchased it from.

If you use your flashlight on a regular basis you can't beat the value of using a Li-ion battery verses primary disposable CR123 batteries

Thousands of AA battery leaks!!!!

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would touching it with a cotton swab dipped in water/baking soda , make it foam if it really was battery leak ?

I'd just clean it off ... and move on.

Have them send you another battery and monitor for new leakage.

Don't give up yet !

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
Would touching it with a cotton swab dipped in water/baking soda , make it foam if it really was battery leak ?

I'd just clean it off ... and move on.

Have them send you another battery and monitor for new leakage.

Don't give up yet !

Battery leak with a lithium-ion battery is probably not acidic. I would use a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to clean it.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vesper

Enlightened
Nice thing about CPF - you'll get good help to figure out the issue. Let us know how it works when you give it a good cleaning. Might be nothing, or something but good to explore for an explanation.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
You received a light with a 18650 already installed and it leaked while in transit? Which dealer sends a light out with the battery already installed?

Actually, Surefire sends out all their lights with their brand of battery pre-installed :) Of course, that's not a rechargeable.

Rod911

Enlightened
Heres a pic. Its a little dark but you can see the liquid.

*there was once a pic here...see post #22*

That looks like the same discharge from my T20C2. I was cleaning and re-lubing it in preparation for my holiday next week and I found minute amounts of reddish liquid around the positive contact area. I didn't think much of it, so I cleaned it with some isopropyl alcohol, re-applied some dexoit and we were roses again.

Note that, before cleaning the light, there were no issues with it at all.

jimbo231

Enlightened
Nice thing about CPF - you'll get good help to figure out the issue. Let us know how it works when you give it a good cleaning. Might be nothing, or something but good to explore for an explanation.
I would clean it but am afraid in case it was from the battery. I read a post on hear saying the stuff in a li-ion battery is pretty nasty or toxic.:confused:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
it doesn't look like it would be leakage, , but
Not a problem if you wear gloves I would think.

There really haven't been many documented cases of liion cells popping. It's usually venting primary 123s that show up on the forums.

Last edited:

wapkil

Enlightened
:eek: I might have over reacted..............I checked the battery voltage and it read 4.1V. So I guess its not possible it vented or leaked right? There is liquid around the positive contact on the head though. Could it be lube of somekind? Do they put oil on the contact from the factory to prevent corrosion?

errr... jimbo231, all my EagleTac T100C2s have the same "sealant" at the positive contact. :poke:

In theory a LiCoO2 cell can leak but as many people in this thread pointed out it seems to be really unusual and unheard off. I'd also guess that what you are seeing is something originating from the light, not the battery.

BTW, Carrot, how on earth is your "excellent charger available at 4sevens" advertisement related to anything in this thread?

DM51

Flashaholic
BTW, Carrot, how on earth is your "excellent charger available at 4sevens" advertisement related to anything in this thread?
The thread was discussing a perceived problem with a Li-Ion cell. Problems with Li-Ion cells arise from poor quality cells and/or incorrect charging. It was therefore perfectly reasonable for Carrot to recommend good quality cells and a good charger.

You are confusing a recommendation with an advertisement. They are not the same.

wapkil

Enlightened
The thread was discussing a perceived problem with a Li-Ion cell. Problems with Li-Ion cells arise from poor quality cells and/or incorrect charging. It was therefore perfectly reasonable for Carrot to recommend good quality cells and a good charger.

You are confusing a recommendation with an advertisement. They are not the same.

I's sorry for the off topic post but I'm afraid I am not confusing anything. When with a surprising frequency the recommendations are given to the products offered by one particular vendor, it starts to be a vendor advertising for me. When Carrot writes "I buy my AW cells from 4sevens.com" what does the vendor have to do with the quality of the cells he recommends? Are the AW's cells bought from B/S/T any different (except the lower price) than the ones from 4sevens? I know that everyone of us can have own preferences but this thread is IMHO not about this topic.

The cell in question wasn't charged (and it's quite possible it never leaked). There can be many problems related to the cells but the OP's problem was that he suspected it could have leaked in transport, not where to buy the best charger for it. I could as well start recommening here my preferred sources to buy electronic components because we all know that high quality DMMs are important to monitor Li-Ion cells.

There is by the way already a thread dedicated to this particular charger. It would be good to monitor it to determine if the charger really is (as mfm suspects) a re-branded TrustFire TR-001 (recommended by old4570 as a "Great product if you are looking to burn your house down").