First and last li-ion light

DM51

Flashaholic
The cell in question wasn't charged… the OP's problem was that he suspected it could have leaked in transport, not where to buy the best charger for it.
At the time the post was made, there was insufficient information to know what had caused the problem. It was not unreasonable to suspect there was something wrong with the cells and/or their state of charge, and it was therefore reasonable to advise on high quality alternative cells, irrespective of their source, and a suitable charger.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Cytac charger that 4sevens is stocking. Charges faster than the 139, and doesn't require spacers for RCR123. My particular sample is a little finicky about nipple-less cells, but 47s is working on a solution.

Thanks Carrot :twothumbs

Just ordered this exact charger from 4sevens. I needed another since my supply of 18650 lights has increased.

As far as the leaking battery goes, it sounds like lube to me. If the dealer placed the battery in, the tip may have come into accidental contact with the lubed tail end....just my 2 cents.

I've only had 1 battery leak on my in 5 years and it was a Surefire.
It was more of a copper like substance, looked almost like rust.

But I still prefer the Surefire cells, I have a stock of 50 in my safe :D

wapkil

Enlightened
I buy my AW cells from 4sevens.com and their new charger is really awesome as well.

It was therefore perfectly reasonable for Carrot to recommend good quality cells and a good charger.

Thanks Carrot :twothumbs

Just ordered this exact charger from 4sevens.

The charger was tested in mdocod's charger roundup thread. As expected, it does not use the CC/CV algorithm, it is painfully slow, it overcharges the cells and doesn't terminate the charging at all (it trickle charges). It is yet another charger that sacrifices the cells life and user's safety for a few cents worth cheaper design. There's nothing surprising in manufacturers and retailers cheaping out on components. What's most troubling is that people keep recommending such chargers on the board that should promote user awareness...

The charger was tested in mdocod's charger roundup thread. As expected, it does not use the CC/CV algorithm, it is painfully slow, it overcharges the cells and doesn't terminate the charging at all (it trickle charges). It is yet another charger that sacrifices the cells life and user's safety for a few cents worth cheaper design. There's nothing surprising in manufacturers and retailers cheaping out on components. What's most troubling is that people keep recommending such chargers on the board that should promote user awareness...

The only comment I can personally make is that the Nano charger is also in that charger roundup thread, and it also states that it continues to charge past 4.20V, but I can attest that it has been improved since the time of writing. It no longer charges past 4.20V which is also the point the green light turns on. It does take about 8 hours to get a full charge, but with no need to babysit the batteries, who cares? I'll admit, I leave mine plugged in when I go to sleep or leave the house.

wapkil

Enlightened
The only comment I can personally make is that the Nano charger is also in that charger roundup thread, and it also states that it continues to charge past 4.20V, but I can attest that it has been improved since the time of writing. It no longer charges past 4.20V which is also the point the green light turns on.

I don't know how the Nano charger works but I haven't seen any mention in that thread of it charging past 4.20V. All that is said is that it trickle charges. It may be obvious but trickle charging doesn't mean that the voltage will rise. A Li-Ion cell voltage will naturally drop down when charging is finished - trickle charging may keep the voltage at a relatively constant level.

Is the Nano charger still available? I though it (at least the 10440 version) was discontinued some time ago.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting a bit off track, aren't you guys.....:green:

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
I would clean it but am afraid in case it was from the battery. I read a post on hear saying the stuff in a li-ion battery is pretty nasty or toxic.:confused:

I think that the concern was mostly when the battery vents violently or explosively and sprays the contents around and you inhale it or it's on the surfaces of everything in the room. I'd have no qualms about carefully cleaning up a small leak and carefully disposing of the removed material. Try not to touch it, wear gloves and eye protection if you're concerned. Clean up anything the material has gotten on.

Getting a bit off track, aren't you guys.....:green:

Anytime there is a discussion regarding the safety of li-ion, the conversation inevitably gravitates toward chargers and charging methods, as that is often where problems either begin or end:poof:. I feel it is not only appropriate but necessary to discuss, nay, encourage and promote chargers which are known to be safe.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Quality cells makes all the difference.

+1

When I got my first light that ran off of 18650 cells, I made the mistake of buying cheap Ultrafire cells.

I soon got some quality AW 18650s, and never had a single problem with them.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't stay away. I ordered an solarforce l2p and l2m along with some aw cells. We'll see how it goes this time.

Good for you, take proper precautions and you will be fine :twothumbs