First impression of Predator Pro V3 Warm.

nervouswreckdiver

Newly Enlightened
Tonight with head tight for max output, turning the light off and on, off when it started to get hot by hand, back on when it cooled, by stopwatch it ran 45 min on a 3400 mAh Orbtronic, charged 99% at start and 23% when the light stepped down to low.
I'm looking for something more like 100 minutes here.

You probably want to use different batteries than the OLight 3400 in the Predator. I tried that battery in my Wizard Pro XHP50 and it will not power up the turbo mode(light immediately shuts down). The other Panasonic based batteries including the Orbtronics 3100 and 3400 batteries power it up correctly. The Olight cannot supply the proper current. You will get better results with another battery, the Samsung 30Q, Sony VTC's and PanasonicGA.

oeL

Newly Enlightened
You will get better results with another battery, the Samsung 30Q, Sony VTC's and PanasonicGA.

Among the three the Sony Konion VCT6 shows outstanding results at high currents in runtime graphs and leaves the others far behind. In my eyes it's the best currently available cell for Armyteks new single-cell-lights (Predator Pro v3 for example). Since we are driving it far below its current limits it stays quite cool.
And don't get fooled by "only 3000 mAh", the effective capacity measured in Wh at 3/5/7A is what counts here - and there the VCT6 delivers more than even the Panasonic GA.
Since we are having a single cell configuration, and since the PP is having a driver with low voltage shut-off, we can safely use unprotected cells. This will give us even a little bit more voltage - and safe us a lot of money, of course :)

@Armytek: Please have a close look at the batteries you are selling. Obviously the green one is a protected Panasonic NCR18650A, the red must be a NCR18650B. People using them for example in a PP XPH35 would be quite disappointed about brightness over time...

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Among the three the Sony Konion VCT6 shows outstanding results at high currents in runtime graphs and leaves the others far behind. In my eyes it's the best currently available cell for Armyteks new single-cell-lights (Predator Pro v3 for example). Since we are driving it far below its current limits it stays quite cool.
And don't get fooled by "only 3000 mAh", the effective capacity measured in Wh at 3/5/7A is what counts here - and there the VCT6 delivers more than even the Panasonic GA.
Since we are having a single cell configuration, and since the PP is having a driver with low voltage shut-off, we can safely use unprotected cells. This will give us even a little bit more voltage - and safe us a lot of money, of course :)

@Armytek: Please have a close look at the batteries you are selling. Obviously the green one is a protected Panasonic NCR18650A, the red must be a NCR18650B. People using them for example in a PP XPH35 would be quite disappointed about brightness over time...

I think far behind is a bit of an exaggeration. While the VTC6 is definitely the best of the three, it is not a huge difference and it really just holds a bit higher voltage under load.

As for the capacity, it does not deliver more then the GA at any of those loads. While again, it is not a huge difference, the GA still has more capacity(especially when discharged to lower voltages).

DyKCyi3.png

Personally, while I like the VTC6 and think it is definitely one of(if not the) best performing cells, I think the GA is a better value and more then enough for any of the Armytek offerings(especially the non-XHP models) with its 10 amp continuous draw rating. The GA is nearly half of the price of the VTC6 and delivers more capacity with just a slight disadvantage in the voltage drop arena. Most people will not even notice any difference between the two when used in these lights(especially in regulated modes).

In very high draw direct drive hotrods and vape mods, the VTC6 is definitely king though and well worth the extra cost.

Last edited:

oeL

Newly Enlightened
I think far behind is a bit of an exaggeration. While the VTC6 is definitely the best of the three, it is not a huge difference and it really just holds a bit higher voltage under load. (...)

Ah, thats interesting, didn't know that Henrik already has tests of the VTC6. My source was:

http://www.dampfakkus.de/akkuvergleich.php?akku1=609&akku2=645&akku3=&akku4=&akku5=&akku6=&a=5

To be sure, I don't look at the capacity in mAh. For a flashlight with a good (high efficiency, flat regulation) driver I'm taking the capacity in Wh, and here the VTC6 already beats the GA at 7A.
But the new Armytek single cell lights (PP XPH35 for example) aren't flat regulated any more (at least on turbo2 - the only mode that counts ;-)), so the brightness will decrease as voltage goes down. And on 7A the VTC6 stays around 0.11 V above the GA, that should give us remarkable more brightness over time.

My dealer (NKON) is selling GA for €4,59 and VTC6 for €6,45, so the extra costs are affordable.

Last edited:

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
I have the older predator pro V2.5 (super light and completely reliable). How does the newer XPL hi compare. Does it throw further? Looking for a little more reach. How about the XHP 35. A little reluctant to go to the XHP35 because I really do not want a battery burner unless the benefit is truly noticeable.

Inheat

Newly Enlightened
I have a predator pro v3 xpl..and honestly the beam isnt the best..im doubting the 500 meter throw..i use to have a viking s with the xpg..and honestly i reckon the viking had a much beter beam.and i reckon it out throws my predator

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah this thread is back! Yes the GA is the cell I have found to be the best for the V3 PP and all my other high current lights. As for the beam I actually really like it personally. I know its subjective but I feel the XP-L HI PP's thick corona around the tight bright hot spot is unique although I know some feel its like bad focus it actually is not. AT designed it that way. I got both the CW and NW XHP PP's and although yes they are brighter the beam profile has mostly lost that thick corona. As for tint I find the PP XP-L HI warm to be good. The XHP warm to me is better its a bit more golden.

No they do not do 500 meters they are 435 at the best which is still farther than I can usually see anyways. The new XHP's do about the same they are just to my eyes much brighter.