First Timer need advice

rshaw

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone! I have been doing a lot of reading on the forum and just have a few questions.

I am looking for a high lumen usb rechargeable flashlight. I really like the nitecore p25 and the fenix uc40 ultimate edition.

I'm leaning towards the nitecore, but I want to make sure I buy it from a reputable place in the usa. Some websites offer it cheap but I do not feel safe buying it from them.

Thank you for the help!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the question?

I don't like lights that have a charger built into them, preferring to buy my own cells and quality Li-Ion/NiMH charger(s).

One more thing to break down on a flashlight and the jury's still out on how 'well' they charge up the internal cells/batteries, of whatever form factor.

Chris

rshaw

Newly Enlightened
What's the question?

I don't like lights that have a charger built into them, preferring to buy my own cells and quality Li-Ion/NiMH charger(s).

One more thing to break down on a flashlight and the jury's still out on how 'well' they charge up the internal cells/batteries, of whatever form factor.

Chris

I just liked the idea of charging inside the flashlight. I have no prior experience owning a Li-Ion Flashlight. seems the Nitecore P25 has good reviews. I can always charge them outside the light but having the USB charger in a pinch is what draws me to it.

What is a good 18650 Cell? Is this flashlight considered high/low discharge etc... the more i research the more confused i become.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
I think your question is fine and usb recharbeable lights def have a place of want and need, what sites are you curious about ordering from? The user base here has likely ordered from it with good or bad experiences for sure and can tell you if the slow boat shipping time is worth the savings vs a domestic retailer

edit, how's the jury out on the capability of usb rechargeable lights charging them? perhaps not the most efficient charge times... but to say they dont adequately charge?

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
If you are looking for a reputable place to buy a light, I'd suggest going to
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forum.php

and selecting a dealer from there. I don't know if they are all reputable, but I suspect that they are.

If you are looking for comments on the lights that you selected, I don't have any knowledge on those particular lights, but as Chris mentioned, I'd want lights that I could remove the battery and replace it with another easily.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
I'd want lights that I could remove the battery and replace it with another easily.

both lights can run batteries that they dont come with, they happen to come with one's proprietary or not that can charge via their usb, it's win win so long as you know part of the initial pruchase price goes to the battery, but i'd think anyone buying a usb cgarging light takes that into account.

rshaw

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the responses. I decided to purchase the nitecore p25. I was originally going to go with usa made but the nitecore grabbed my attention. I like the look of it etc and 860 is more than enough. I ordered an AW 2200mah and the nitecore 3400mah.

I ordered from eliteflashlights.com here in the states after seeing that other members have ordered from them. Hopefully it will arrive and be new factory sealed etc in the 1-3 days it says.

I'm buying this for my new job and most likely just started a new addiction.

what do you guys think of those batterys?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the responses. I decided to purchase the nitecore p25. I was originally going to go with usa made but the nitecore grabbed my attention. I like the look of it etc and 860 is more than enough. I ordered an AW 2200mah and the nitecore 3400mah.

I ordered from eliteflashlights.com here in the states after seeing that other members have ordered from them. Hopefully it will arrive and be new factory sealed etc in the 1-3 days it says.

I'm buying this for my new job and most likely just started a new addiction.

what do you guys think of those batterys?

The AW (red wrapper?) is probably their IMR chemistry and is good for higher current draining lights, but at the expense of capacity. The NC 3400 is just a Panasonic NCR18650B with a 3rd party protection circuit added, which makes it a bit safer to use/abuse than the base naked cell.

The IMR (lithium manganese) chemistry cell doesn't usually come with protection, because it's a bit more forgiving when it comes to thermal runaway, resulting in flames and kabooms.

Both are good choices depending on what that light does and it probably sucks down some juice.

Chris

rshaw

Newly Enlightened
AW 2200mAh 18650 3.7V Li-ion Battery with IC Protection

NiteCore NL189 3400mAh 18650 3.7V Li-ion Battery with IC

Both batteries stated "IC protection"

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator: