Fisher Space Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh yes good old Fisher. Millions of dollars spent on a pen that would write in a vacuum, upside down, in zero gravity, under-water and at temperature extremes....

....the Russians used a pencil.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ahh yes good old Fisher. Millions of dollars spent on a pen that would write in a vacuum, upside down, in zero gravity, under-water and at temperature extremes....

....the Russians used a pencil.

-False myth
1) we used pencils too at first
2) now all space agencies around the world use Fisher pens
3) Fisher spent millions in research (not NASA), then tried very hard to sell the pen to NASA, which didn't want it and thought it was too expensive at around $12 each (maybe less, not 100% sure on what Fisher sold them to NASA for).

Tremendo

Enlightened
I love my Space Pens. I've had one or another in my pocket for about 8 years. Yeah, I've lost quite a few since they sometimes slide out of loose pants and I don't like using the clip, but that's why I keep extras.

No interest in the little Space light though, these massive lumen AA & CR123 toys have spoiled me.

Illum

Flashaholic
12.50...mmm, its to NASA's best interest to keep their precision....I only hope they live up to it though I wouldn't be surprised if the drivers similar to a dorcy 1AAA

FASTCAR

Banned
I have seen this light.It was nothing special and was rated in "Micro Candella"..claimed was insane like 40 000.

It was nothing special. Maybee as bright as those cheepie dollar store $3 LED array lights...like 10-15lumens or so.

I have actually seen several ( maybee knock-offs) at the swap meet.
They usually cost 10-20$ and have crazy claims.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I just ordered a Space Beam black, with white led. I ordered two refills, but it didn't really specify whether or not the refills are the same as the normal pens... guess I'll find out soon enough.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to upgrade the led and maybe put a Rebel in there?

Thanks,
Ryan

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of strange that they only sell white and blue led versions and not green or red because a lot of the people who would by a flashlight from a space pen company would most likely be in astonomy and astronomers usually use green or red:ironic::shrug:

robo21

Enlightened
-False myth
3) Fisher spent millions in research (not NASA), then tried very hard to sell the pen to NASA, which didn't want it and thought it was too expensive at around $12 each (maybe less, not 100% sure on what Fisher sold them to NASA for).

A "myth," by definition is a fictitious narrative, presented as historical, but without any basis in fact. A "False Myth" would then be true history due to the double negative. :D

But I think we know what you mean.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
-False myth

Snopes is the first place to check on Urban Legends.

To get this back on flashlights, at Office Depot I saw a gift set that had a Silver bullet Fisher Space Pen and a Silver Maglite Solitaire - for $31! At least the SpaceBeam is a step up from a soli. Given that they had the pen alone for $17, that's an impressive solitaire.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you fools care about modding this simple light? Aren't there enough bright lights out there? The engineers made this light to do one thing: Project a tight beam thru a lens using an AAA battery with relatively long run time. Any usher or theatre worker would be well equipped with a light like this. Thanks that anyone would bother making a light like this, since inova backed out on the original x1. If you need a nice little pointy light, this might do the trick. Does anyone have this light yet? How about a review.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I just cancelled my order of this thing because I didn't realize that it wasn't a pen as well. The info about this thing isn't that great. Why can't someone put a freaken Cree with a low 4-6 lumen mode low, and a 30-40 lumen high mode along with a laser and a pen! We can send people to the moon, yet we can't have an effective, quality-made, multi-use pocket tool.

And don't even start the sarcasm... :) Because you know you would want something like this too!

-Ryan

Marduke

Flashaholic
I just cancelled my order of this thing because I didn't realize that it wasn't a pen as well. The info about this thing isn't that great. Why can't someone put a freaken Cree with a low 4-6 lumen mode low, and a 30-40 lumen high mode along with a laser and a pen! We can send people to the moon, yet we can't have an effective, quality-made, multi-use pocket tool.

And don't even start the sarcasm... :) Because you know you would want something like this too!

-Ryan

Something close:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5597
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6092

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Marduke,

Thanks for the recommendation. I bought the more expensive of the two at a Barnes and Noble for twenty bucks!!! Man I got ripped. I'm ordering both to see which is better. These are pretty cool and mine is actually well-balanced and heavy.

Where can I get those little button-batteries for cheap?

Thanks,
Ryan

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
If it was a pen and a light I would have bought a few. It would have been the perfect stocking stuffer for Christmas.

Illum

Flashaholic
LOL, Let me know when you've modded it and you're getting 250 lm out of it with a 10440, and I'll take one.

well, it might be moddable only to the extent that the LED can be swapped out but if theres a way to make a dedicated driver that size I suppose a rebel would be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.