Fixed Blades

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Got a Case Buffalo Horn Hunter coming in, along with a Buck 102 Woodsman. (Not the newer version of the 102.)

Just wanted a couple of unchanged classics. Though really wish Buck still offered that old flap-over sheath design for the 102. Not a fan on the shrunken down Buck 119 leather sheath for the 102. Especially with the lack of reinforcing rivets that you get nowadays on both Buck models.

rgcurrey

Newly Enlightened
None taken.

Amazon has the F1 starting at $141 and the Moran at $115, both are VG10 with molded handles. I think that they both were (are?) made in the same factory in Japan and are of comparable build quality. The Moran has a thinner flat ground blade that cuts better and a much better sheath. The F1 has thicker laminated blade and a little nub that sticks out on the back of the handle. I own both knives and the Moran is the one I would recommend for most uses.

In fact, I would say that the Falknivens are overrated or at least over priced for what you get – the handles are too small and the sheaths suck for the price point. You could say that the thicker blades on the Fallknivens are better for "survival" or "bush craft" but as shown in Survival Lilly's vid, they will still chip out if you beat on them:

you would jack up just about any knife doing those kind of things, but many bush crafters expect their survival knife to take it. If you want to do these things, get a cheap machete and have at it…..eventually you will still destroy it if you try hard enough but at least it won't cost much to get another one.

I had an S1 in CoS for a bit. Yeah, not a big fan of the sheath and was considering getting a leather one for it but in the end I decided it was just a bit to heavy and I always went to pick up my Field Knife instead. It was a very good knife and the steel took a terrific edge. I sometimes think that I should buy another one but then realize it would still be heavier than I want and think about getting F1 in elmax or CoS. That said, I think the "review" she did was totally ridiculous and a lot of knives would be damaged in that environment. Right tool for the right job and all.

yearnslow

Enlightened
you would jack up just about any knife doing those kind of things, but many bush crafters expect their survival knife to take it. If you want to do these things, get a cheap machete and have at it…..eventually you will still destroy it if you try hard enough but at least it won't cost much to get another one.
I completely agree with this, I've never understood why people insist on using knives as axes/machetes?
If you were actually, (god forbid), in a serious survival situation with just a knife, the last thing that you should be doing is hammering it through logs or chopping down trees.
If you intentionally go into the wilderness for any length of time, with just a knife, you are asking for trouble.
Any serious outdoorsman will always have an axe/hatchet or some form of saw, and preferably both.
Just my 2cents worth! ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Got the following coming in....
Navy MK3
Dexter brand skinning knife
Buck 105 Pathfinder
Ka-bar Mark 1 (Leather washer handle, leather sheath version).

Had an MK3 several decades ago. Bought it for a few bucks at an Army+Navy Surplus store. No clue where it is now. First real knife in my collection. Yeah, had to replace it.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
boye.jpg

I added a few

Attachments

• 20240207_081320.jpg
    20240207_081320.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Quick update on the DEXTER brand skinning knife that came in.... It's a piece of $#&%, in my humble opinion.