Fl lanterns as obsolete now as incan?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
they could almost double the run times on the LT1 lanterns if they used a decent driver.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
is LT1 any relation to Lt. Dan?
:D

lol. not 100% sure, but i think it basically means 'lantern (model) 1'.

i think you can get it on amazon too, but it's probably cheaper if you buy it from sorfin directly.

there are various color options, with or without batteries (it takes 4x 18650 unprotected button-tops), and 'ship from china' or 'ship from usa'. ship from china is probably slightly cheaper but takes longer. also look at the various coupon offerings. for example, i saw that the 'ship from china' LT1 has a 25% off sale until the 19th.

there is also a mini version that i haven't used, but i'd recommend the regular one.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol. not 100% sure, but i think it basically means 'lantern (model) 1'.

i think you can get it on amazon too, but it's probably cheaper if you buy it from sorfin directly.

there are various color options, with or without batteries (it takes 4x 18650 unprotected button-tops), and 'ship from china' or 'ship from usa'. ship from china is probably slightly cheaper but takes longer. also look at the various coupon offerings. for example, i saw that the 'ship from china' LT1 has a 25% off sale until the 19th.

there is also a mini version that i haven't used, but i'd recommend the regular one.

I watched a guy give a review of it on YouTube. I have come to the conclusion that I just don't like lanterns very much at all. I prefer directional flashlights, not the 360 degree horizontal light of lanterns. I plan to get rid of the Coleman battery lanterns and not replace them with other lanterns--maybe another 4D ML300L. If I want lantern light, I can stick a diffuser on it.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
I watched a guy give a review of it on YouTube. I have come to the conclusion that I just don't like lanterns very much at all. I prefer directional flashlights, not the 360 degree horizontal light of lanterns. I plan to get rid of the Coleman battery lanterns and not replace them with other lanterns--maybe another 4D ML300L. If I want lantern light, I can stick a diffuser on it.

yes, it's not something i use often. lantern only gets used when 'fake camping', hanging out with friends outside, in a mosquito tent during downtime at multi-day concerts, etc.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the best diffuser's are free!
Take a used chapstick cover, or even some laundry detergent covers have worked excellent in the past.
The Lee Swatch book diffuser's have worked out the best previously, IMO.
They get rid of the eyesore from viewing a ceiling bouncing flashlight within an outside or far wall.
The Lee diffuser's provide more ambient useable light within a room versus standard over the head of the
flashlight diffuser's. Another nice part about Lee Diffusers, is You won't misplace or lose them as with
diffuser add on accessories are prone to be not found again when needed, In My past experiences.
GL

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've had one FL lantern ever, and when LEDs came along I ditched it. I see them in thrift stores but take a pass. Some of the nicer ones may have collectable/sentimental value for some, I get that.

FL is stuck at its efficacy, however better than incan.,not even sure what it is for battery powered inverter circuits versus AC. LEDs are well ahead and still making gains.

Size of smaller lanterns is limited by the size of tube, batteries and the circuit required to generate high voltage to drive it.

FL has the mercury/disposal thing. Not sure how easy is it to find replacements for some of these, these days. Tubes are breakable, and I imagine there is a shock hazard if high voltage gets exposed.

For all this, LEDs are way better.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Related topic, before LEDs I recall a solar garden light using a 1W fluorescent U-tube, almost bought one. It used a single NiCd C cell. I think I still have one of the tubes though, may have also been used in small lanterns.

Dave

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I started this post, I've discovered that there are LED tubes to replace FL tubes. I'm looking into the feasibility of doing that with these 2 FL's that I have.
I'd like to hear more. I was only aware of Office Bi-Pin FL tube LED dropins. Also LED tubes that take rewired supply voltage.
Did not know battery sized FL tubes had that option.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to hear more. I was only aware of Office Bi-Pin FL tube LED dropins. Also LED tubes that take rewired supply voltage.
Did not know battery sized FL tubes had that option.
I came across a source or two, and didn't have time to investigate fully. Need to give the suppliers a phone call to see if they will work in the lanterns. I'll post what I find out.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came across a source or two, and didn't have time to investigate fully. Need to give the suppliers a phone call to see if they will work in the lanterns. I'll post what I find out.
Much Appreciated.
You have given everyone the clues. Now we will just wait on their responses to your inquiry. A daunting task I am committed to offering my support of your time and thoroughness. Thank You for your effort and time. It's not often the CPF community is presented with posted witness goingon's, and step' up to the spotlight to comment justification regarding the OG posters view.
Very Happy to have IMA SOL MAN's comments, posts, and updates.

Take Care
GL

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
I can understand using the diffusers outside, but inside, wouldn't tailstanding with ceiling bounce be better for general room lighting, or do you need the horizontal lighting for fill lighting?
I feel that tailstanding is definitely the way to go, as it's indirect and avoids glare, and is the most efficient use of the light produced, provided you have a light-colored ceiling.

Btw, I'd keep at least a couple of the fluorescent lanterns on hand, especially the ones you mentioned that have 12VDC input… always a good idea to hedge one's bets.

I also have a couple of Coleman pressure lanterns that use kerosene instead of white gas. Very fond of them, and they produce a lot of light.