Flashlight for Elderly Mom

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that any of the Inova Radiants or a 2-C Mag with an SMJLEDPR in it, combined with a couple of Pal lights, would make a very hard to beat combination.

I like the Radiants for this job becuase 1) they won't roll around 2) tailcap switches are very easy to operate 3) very simple battery changes.

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened
Hell, if going that route, why not go with one of those rechargeables that's always plugged into the wall? That way there are no battery changes and its location should always be known. Bonus points if it'll take a Lambda PR.

Chris201W

Enlightened
I congree with what others have said regarding the SL 4AA lights and difficulty in reading the piece of paper. Another problem with these lights is that the bezel is difficult to remove, even for my youthful hands. It would be dang near impossible for someone with arthritis. I think this rules them out altogether.

If she doesn't need anything really bright, I would recommend a minimag with opalec newbeam or nite-ize. Very easy to turn on with two hands, should be easy to change the batteries, and you'll get a long runtime (10 hours regulated for newbeam).

SuperNinja

Enlightened
pedalinbob said:
How about the good old Streamlight 4AA 7LED?
I don't know if the head on that is as difficult to remove as the Luxeon, but refer to this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1285906&#post1285906

Radio said:
I brought her an Osram Golden Dragon Lantern. Well she would not put the thing down, I called her a couple of days later and during the course of the conversation asked her how she liked it, She said she uses it every night, it is her new "roam around the house at night" light and the day I gave it to her she said she lost power that very same evening and used it for several hours to read and absolutely loved it, she wants to give them to all her friends. I don't have the heart to tell her they cost $30-$40 dollars and can't be bought in this country.
In that case, the River Rock lantern is a good alternative.

kd9uu

Newly Enlightened
Some lights shown HERE:

http://www.glowbug.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12

might be of some interest... the touch one comes on when you grab it 8) DUnno how it is reloaded with batteries nor what type.

The Nuwai 1/2 watt light w/ 2-stage hi/low side clickie, 12 lumens on high w/ 8hr run-time on high "they say"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nuwai-TM-317X-0...734089750QQcategoryZ16037QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A Lamda PR drop-in in any cheap 2-cell light.

For the fridge I LOVE those cheapo 5-LED headband lights, take off the headband and they have a magnetic back for the fridge.

DO not discount use of headlamps; they free the hands to brace one's self or use railings, carry things...open doors, use canes, wheel-chairs... the 3-LED plus 3W Luxeon headlamp I have is VERY VERY useful and can hang on a nail by the door. They run on 3AA cells. A regulated one would be even better. I put a NiteIZE drop-in in a $5.00 Harbor Freight, the Lamda PR drop-in would be nice in a cheap PR-based headlamp and would preserve the large reflector.

A nice MOD light is a Dorcy 1AAA w/ 1/2 watt 13-lumen white LED from eBay, once the mod is known working, glue the head on or Loctite it, because people naturally twist the head like it's a Mag. Lots of light for walking around the house, you can make them for a song.

A Streamlight Luxeon Jr is a handy light. Esp. w/ L91 batteries.

And another handy light would be the best AC power-failure light you can find, LED of course! Unplug it from the wall it's a walk-around light. If you find a PR-based incan one, use a Lamda drop-in.

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
yaesumofo said:
I built my mother a 3 C cell Mag conversion. She is in her 70's. It is very bright the batteries seem to last forever. It has a simple and easy to use button and it is not too heavy.
She claims it is the best flashlight she has ever owned.
3 C mag conversion has the best of all worlds.
AA batteries just don't have the stayiing power required, changing batteries can be more of a challange for elderly people than using a light. If they have to do that all the time it makes life more difficult rather than simpler.
Yaesumofo
Yaesumofo,
I completely agree with your post, based on my 78 year old mother. I took her an assortment of different LED lights, and let her choose. Most had too stiff a switch, and the twistys were out of the question. She ended up with a Sam's Element (form factor, switch, output, and size are absolutely perfect - but battery replacement will be a problem. I am looking for a better solution for her quick-grab indoor light. For a really bright light to investigate noises or take out the trash, she ended up with one of my LEDBeams (sigh). The C batterys and installation method are familiar, and the difference in bulk between a 3-C with aluminum body and 3-D makes the LEDBeam just light and compact enough for somebody with arthritis to handle. Actually, I have several barely used 2-D and 3-C Mags that are just waiting for the new LED conversions -- and I will get my LEDBeam back. Sadly, I already have Diamond side-emitters in the Mags now - which are totally worthless. Anyway, as you say, the medium sized Mags are familiar to seniors, have an easy to operate switch, and with LEDs, will last a very long time. When they do need a battery replacement, it is easy and familiar.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey! I have arthritis and I've got no problems opening that thing up. Actually it depends on the severity of the arthritis. ;) In spite of the little print, I love those little things for the bang for the buck value. Oh yeah, I use the terminals on the back of the lamp assembly to determine polarity, the side with the pin prick is the positive :).

Chris201W said:
It would be dang near impossible for someone with arthritis. I think this rules them out altogether.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Umm... Since she's your mom and all, and since a replacement LEDBeam is only $24 (shipped yet!, and $22 each if you buy 3) ... Why don't you just get a replacement if she likes it?

Spectrum said:
and I will get my LEDBeam back.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you aren't going to be available to replace batteries for her, that would lead to a different choice, but I still like the design of a small Eternalight for an elderly person. Also, I have replaced the batteries in an Eternalight I own only once in several years.

That aside, why not a disposable light like the Eveready Zap or similar. Once the gasps have died down on this forum, stop and think about it. No batteries to change, easy to hold, easy to use, cheap, and, well, they are disposable. No one is going to care if she trashes a box full of them, and it won't break the bank to keep her secure. Anything beyond the range of a light like that most likely isn't something she is liable to want to deal with regardless of how well she can move about or even see.

I can't see that I would have given my mother a light that was too different from these while she was alive. For the price of one middle level light that any of us might have, she could get many less expensive, easier to use, and therefore more reliable, lights. It isn't being cheap with mom; it's giving her something she can and actually will use.

VWTim

Enlightened
I think either a SMJLED/PR bulb in her existing light, or maybe a Sears 3AAA tool light lux1 in a 3C mag or something similar.

She might want to keep the light familiar feeling.

pec50

Enlightened
Mom's pushing ninety and arthritic. Simplicity seems to be the key to usability and I have found that several one-dollar-photon clones from Lighthound have really helped as she can clip them to her keys and place them strategically around her house. She also likes the simple Attitude as it's easy to turn, lightweight, and batteries last forever.

nethiker

Enlightened
pec50 said:
I have found that several one-dollar-photon clones from Lighthound have really helped as she can clip them to her keys and place them strategically around her house.

I second the photon clone keychain light. There's a lot of good suggestions for a regular flashlight and you should get her one, but I would bet if you put one of these with her house key, it will be the one that gets the most use. KevinL is selling some that he upgrades with a brighter led HERE.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
pec50 said:
Mom's pushing ninety and arthritic. Simplicity seems to be the key to usability and I have found that several one-dollar-photon clones from Lighthound have really helped as she can clip them to her keys and place them strategically around her house.
I thought the tiny little on/off switches on the fauxtons would be difficult for people with arthritis.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I had forgotten that the SL4AA has a pretty snug head.

I was just looking at my current stock of lights. I have only one mini mag which still uses a twisty head--it has a Nite-Ize in it. (I feel the Nite-Ize might be too dim for old eyes)

The head is very easy to twist, far easier than I expected. The tail cap is a little more difficult, but still very easy.

Could these lights (any lights considered) be modded to allow easier functioning?
For example, the o-rings could be removed, since I doubt grandma will be diving with them. The SL4aa turns very easily without the o-ring.
Add some friction tape to slippery surfaces, etc.

There appears to be many good choices, as long as they are easy to operate, provide good runtime (heck, most of these lights blow away the old 2D lights!), reasonably bright and take common batteries.
I think a floody beam would be best. (I believe even a tight beam with bright spill is not a good idea, because that bright center tends to wash out everything else)
My grandma loves the SL4AA7LED I gave her. She says "it lights up EVERYTHING!"

But...2 bats would have been more simple...and Quickbeam downgraded it.
That Radiant is looking better all the time.

An Everled/MJLED PR in a 2C mag would likely do, as long as the beam isn't too tight. Could diffuse the beam a bit. Tailcap might be a little tricky to turn--they tend to be very snug.

A minimag with whatever dropin you like should do. Terralux, Badboy, Madmax, MJLED, etc.

The Radiant seems like a pretty decent light. Quite bright for it's size, too--compared to a standard 2D.
But...don't the bats install BACKWARDS? Could be a little confusing.

I love the little Palights, but they are kind of...complex?
A simple "always on" with on/off, and the new Nichia CS would be a great nightstand light...as long as the bat change is easy enough.

You could make an "always on" light by jumping a resistor across the switch, allowing a tiny bit of current to the LED.

Always a good discussion...I thought about this a lot for my own grandma.
Maybe we should create a CPF "older adult light"!

Bob

SuperNinja

Enlightened
SuperNinja said:
In that case, the River Rock lantern is a good alternative.
On second thought, maybe not.
The tail cap is not the easiest thing to unscrew, to replace the batteries.

Paladin

Enlightened
Although I dislike their 3aaa battery carriers, the "two for $15.88" Husky brand LED lights at Home Depot might be a viable solution.

The side button is VERY easy to use, the body is not too large or heavy, and the flood style beam is very useful for night time "walks around the house". We just gave one to a friends young child who is having some "darkness issues" lately.

Paladin

flashlife

Enlightened
You guys (and gals ?) are the greatest...lots of info and suggestions I wouldn't have known or thought of .:goodjob:

Since I've got more-than-a-few lights on hand, I'll probably cart them all over to her and let her try them out.

She's not a flashlight-person by any means. I asked about her light, 'do the batteries need changing?", etc. She said it was 'OK', and "anyway, I have my coal-oil lamps if the power goes out". However, she's moving next week into a new apt. and I want a handy light she can grab at night, at least until she gets familiar with the new layout.

I only live about 5 miles from her and will see her often and check the batts.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't generically classify all older seniors into the category of being frail or slower mentally. I do remember an older gentleman of about 82 who used to lift the tounge of a light trailer (tounge weight of about 100 lbs) instead of using a jack. And there were times he had to run off from an activity, because he also volunteered at his local Senior Center ... as he put it "I've got to go feed the old folks." :)

pedalinbob said:
Maybe we should create a CPF "older adult light"!

Bob

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
I wouldn't generically classify all older seniors into the category of being frail or slower mentally. I do remember an older gentleman of about 82 who used to lift the tounge of a light trailer (tounge weight of about 100 lbs) instead of using a jack. And there were times he had to run off from an activity, because he also volunteered at his local Senior Center ... as he put it "I've got to go feed the old folks." :)

I did not classify anyone as "frail or slower mentally". I am not sure how you arrived at that conclusion.
Was it the "older adult" term? This is a term widely used in the medical field, and is not considered to be in poor taste.

One of my best friends is 70, and is stronger than most 30 y/o.

However, as a generality, older adults face certain decreases in physical ability. It is just nature.

There are many products which address these issues, such as special lids on pill bottles, large-print books and velcro shoes.
I thought a flashlight could be adapted to the elderly's (generally) unique needs.

Bob