Flashlight for OLD person!

GrnXnham

Enlightened
I am looking for a quality LED flashlight for my 86 year old mother. She likes to walk around outside in bad weather in the dark. I am having a very difficult time finding a light that meets my criteria!

--I want it to be 2AA form factor. She will be using alkaline batteries.
--It must be SIMPLE to use--no strobe, SOS, or 37 different "modes" that cause confusion. Did I mention she is 86? Just on and off would be ideal but if that isn't available then no more than two modes-high and low. She would probably freak out if she accidentally turned on the strobe mode on a flashlight.
--fairly bright--runtime of maybe 2-3 hours?
--It must be reliable! No cheap no name plastic junk.
--Less than $50
--A battery level indicator light would be nice but not a deal breaker.
--Regulated

I have found tons of quality name brand 2AA lights but ALL of them have lots of modes. Isn't there anyone else out there who just wants a simple but quality light? Old people need flashlights but they also want simplicity. The simpler the better.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Last edited:

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Ok, I cringe at Maglites but I actually took a look at them. Looks like the Mini Maglite Pro LED at about $35 is as close as I can get. Although I'm not totally sure if that model is single mode? I couldn't find any information about it having different modes either way.

Haven't bought a Maglite in years. A long time ago I had a couple of Maglites and both of them had problems with flickering. Complete junk lights. This was before LED was even a thing. Have they gotten better?

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite 2C ML25 twisty - get some spacers and run it on eneloops. The 2C ML50 is another option, this has a soft electronic side switch. Both of these can be run on an 18650 or 21700 in 3D printed adapters, if you want more run time.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bright red maglite mini mag pro or the ML25LT in red. Both put out well and they have a high and a low setting. My wife had the older mini mag pro for years and it was a good light till someone stole it from her stuff she took to the hospital.

I say bright red because it will be easier to see and not lose it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I started to chime in about a minimag but the AA version is not single setting anymore and have electronic switches (read parasitic drain).

Instead I'll mention a Pelican 2360.
Can be easily programmed to high only, high/lo or low/hi. The 29 lumen low is a very useable 'round the house' brightness. Think 3d incan output.

It has ability to keep check on the battery too.

Mine has ultimate lithiums running it. They don't leak anywhere near as much as alkalines leak.

Last edited:

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
The new Mini Maglites LEDs are great. Twist on, no diffusion or focusing, bright enough and a lanyard can be attached (I lose my with frightening regularity🙄).

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started to chime in about a minimag but the AA version is not single setting anymore and have electronic switches (read parasitic drain).

Instead I'll mention a Pelican 2360.
Can be easily programmed to high only, high/lo or low/hi. The 29 lumen low is a very useable 'round the house' brightness. Think 3d incan output.

It has ability to keep check on the battery too.

Mine has ultimate lithiums running it. They don't leak anywhere near as much as alkalines leak.

I was unaware that Pelican now has a programable feature, much like Streamlights

Thank you very much for posting that, I'll be looking into that (Like I need more flashlights to buy!)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Correct hsa. Trouble is with the minimag is all those others features added like blinkys.
There is a 2D "classic" that still uses a mechanical switch but it has a high/low now. Still probably one of the easiest lights to use though.

When I was 30, 86 sounded really old. As fast as the next 30 years went past 86 doesn't seem really old, but well seasoned......

nbp

Flashaholic
I recently was on the exact same hunt for my grandpa. There really really needs to be a light like the old Fenix TK20 again. 2xAA, easy to grip, tail switch for on, twist head between high/low. I think there is a market for this kind of light since it is what many casual users want in my opinion.

Anyways, looking at dozens of lights and bumping into many of the same challenges you did, I bought him this Thrunite. It isn't perfect, but pretty good. The tail button turns it on, and the side button changes modes. But there isn't any complicated click patterns; you just tap the side button and it cycles through the modes. If you don't touch the side button, then it will turn on each time in the same mode when you press the tail switch. If your mom uses the same mode most of the time for her walks she may rarely need to use the side button. My grandpa seemed to understand the UI quickly. At 30 bucks I figured if my grandpa didn't like it I hadn't spent a lot and I could shop for something else.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess there are no more one speed Mini Mag Pro or ML 25 LT?
The AAA Mini Mag LED and the 3C ML25 still has only one mode and the 3 rd cell pretty much doubles the run time, espcially when running alkalines.

None of the twisty Mags should have any parasetic drain and you will never know the low mode is there unless you twist the light on/off/on really quick.

My mom has a couple of ML25's running AA eneloops that she uses all he time (one she keeps set up as a lantern with a 3D printed diffuser), a AAA Mini Mag LED she keeps in her purse and a AA Mini Mag Pro in the kitchen. I would recommend the AAA MIni Mag LED and the 2C ML25 running eneloops or if alkalines are non-negotiable, a 3C ML25.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek makes the Partner line which offer high only when the bezel is tightened. Pretty high output but on 2xAA the runtime predictably wont be very impressive. Hour max.

The last 2xAA Ive gifted was a Fenix E20 2.0. Very nice light & simple to use. Granted, my aunt isnt quite 86, but the light has memory mode so should always some on at the same level once its left there. Just half press for changing modes. + its fully temperature regulated. Get her a 10 pack of L91s with it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
None of the twisty Mags should have any parasetic drain and you will never know the low mode is there unless you twist the light/on/off/on really quick.
Maglite mentions electronic switches in their descriptions of aa minimags.