"flashlights not allowed"

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the reasons I could imagine at least in a cave area is to prevent people from wandering off and getting lost and/or injured. Same situation as the underwater cave signs. If you allow people in the area to carry a light, they might follow a cave or path that they otherwise would avoid...

http://i.imgur.com/7Vr7F1r.jpg

As for disallowing flashlights in federal buildings or secure areas, I have no clue why people would care unless they have 3" stainless crenellated porcupine bezels. As for concerts, think about the trouble that people with laser pointers cause. There's a great video of a KISS concert where the singer (Paul Stanley?) freaks out, stops a song, and calls out an audience member with a laser pointer. They lump flashlights into that category and suddenly you can't carry a flashlight because you'll shine it around during the performance.

Last edited:

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
From my personal experience...no flashlights in ANY federal building.

I work in a federal building. My first few weeks there, while waiting to receive my ID badge, I had to pass through screening each morning like all non-ID-carrying visitors.

During that time, each and every guard had on multiple occasions noticed my Zebralight SC600 as it passed through the X-ray machine. Most of the time, they just picked it up and muttered "Oh, its just a flashlight..." The lone guard that always wanted to examine it up close would turn it ON, then could never figure out how to get past strobe-mode!:laughing:

Point is...flashlights are NOT banned from federal buildings.

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can sort of see them not allowing the, for one reason only.
Bats.
If you have been caving before, in an area where the bats were infected with White Nose Syndrom, there is a good chance that may be on your flashlight and then it could be transmitted to the clean cave.
It is a stretch, but a possibility.

Myabe in this context at that cave, it is more of a "you don't need to supply your own flashlight" than they are forbidden.

Last edited:

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I think the trend for brighter is always better is one reason, people might come with their $50 9 AAA flashlights and wash the cave out with 200+ lumens of very cool and very low CRI light. It is better to use minimal lighting in some situations.

I had no idea about the underwater cave signs, it makes sense though. I enjoy underground caving, and diving, but not mixing them together.

I would find it less likely for white nose syndrome to be transmitted on a flashlight than about anything else a tourist might bring into a cave. If they say you can't bring gear into a cave for this reason then they should also do the due diligence of not allowing shoes.

fyrstormer

Banned
Caves are dark. Everything inside a cave is extremely sensitive to light. There are colonies of bacteria and fungus living in there that can be killed by blue light, animals living in the cave will have their metabolisms screwed up by exposure to blue light, and it will screw up everyone else's ability to see clearly for several minutes afterwards.

If you bring a flashlight, keep it in your pocket and only use it in an emergency -- which will almost certainly not happen because the park rangers know to bring spares with them.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a former service member I use the VA hospital and here they just do not want knives or firearms to be brought in, nobody has said anything to me and I have two lights on lanyards attached to my walker.

fyrstormer

Banned
I took one to an aircraft museum once. The guard saw the pocket clip and asked me what it was; I pulled it out and showed him it was a flashlight. He waved me in. I used it to light up the insides of jet engines so we could see the inner workings better.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, can't believe places like concerts or even famous Building were giving you problems.

I going to DC in May. Planning on going to the Smithsonian Museums, Holocaust museum, Capitol Building, etc....any of you know places where I can't bring them? I would hate for security to confiscate them and I no longer have a light on me during my trip.

I toured several, Federal buildings & museums and such in New Orleans, a year ago, with my Surefire E1D & a Tain Ottavino AAA (Tain on my keys), with a Blue Trit. I carried it in a a leather book bag full of kid junk & iPad and cameras and such. Not a single issue.

fyrstormer

Banned
They won't confiscate them. At most they'll tag them, give you the tag stub, and put them in a lockbox until you claim them. But even that is highly unlikely.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Remember, torch =flashlight in England*

Chislehurst Caves. South East London. Below quote from their website Q and A.

Can I take a torch in the caves?
No, all our guides are experienced in using torches underground, inexperienced users may inadvertently shine their torch in other people's eyes which can be quite painful when your pupils are fully dilated in total darkness. Our Oil Lamps create a far more pleasant atmosphere

I think it's mostly for the atmosphere. Everyone gets given oil lamps to carry. In fact, the times I have gone I just held back a bit and used my torch to light up side tunnels and such. I never had an issue as long as I didn't shine it around the main group.

Last edited:

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
I can sort of see them not allowing the, for one reason only.
Bats.
This was my experience in the "Devils' Icebox" in Columbia Mo. It's a water cave you canoe through that is run by the DNR,it's about 5 mi with portages.

Anyway the DNR guide said very clearly DO NOT SHINE YOUR LIGHTS ON THE BATS!. Of course, that is exactly what the co-ed girls did. Needless to say, that caused the bat's to think it was a big cave bat party. Not a big deal for our group as no-one was scared of bats and they( the girsl not the bats) were kinda hot.

I can, however, understand how this could be a real problem. The other post that refer to the light taking away the spelunkers night vision also makes sense

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I went to Luray Caverns, I stayed back and used my m43vn to light up areas of interest and it was quite an xperience. I gave lights to all my kids but they were taught to be courteous and not ruin the experience for others.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Maybe some of the tours differentiate between a headlamp and a flashlight/torch because you need to have your hands free. Just a thought!

Mikasa

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually disappointed whenever I do cave tours that don't require flashlights. I mean, the main reason I'm interested in spelunking is because I get to explore the beauty of the underworld with my bright lights! Having said that, I think I understand why some cave tours discourage, if not prohibit flashlights. Some tours might rely on specific lighting conditions to achieve a certain ambiance during the tour. I guess not everyone appreciates bright lights in dark places.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the family to one in Pennsylvania and they had no problem with me using my astrolux s41. I had to rig a lanyard from a shoelace I had in the car since I knew the kids wanted to use it. I was the one that dropped it of course, and almost lost it down a shaft. It stopped just short of the ledge. The tour guide didn't use a light since it was well lit and the darkest areas were off limits.

Spikefos

Newly Enlightened
I also know a few places where flashlights are disallowed. For example, at religious places and the main tourist attractions, at concerts and conferences in one word at all crowded places