Flickering eagletac rescue?

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
I have an EagleTac GX25A3 which I was very pleased with initially, but which quickly became unreliable. The light would flicker and sometimes turn off completely for no reason. It became a shelf queen. I should have returned it or sent it in for warranty service, but didn't. Recently, while researching a planned Sunwayman D40A purchase I came across a mention in Selfbuilt's reviews of the need to clean EagleTac contacts. Last week I stopped by LightJunction to pick up the D40A (a very nice light) and mentioned my GX25A3 problems. They also informed me I should try cleaning the contacts and even showed me where I needed to clean (I had not thought about the endcap, for example). Since then the GX25A3 seems to be working. My question to fellow CPF'ers is: have any of you restored to reliability a GX25A3 or other EagleTac light through cleaning them? I ask because I am running out of time to send the light in for a repair under warranty. Thanks.

ven

Flashaholic
Have you cleaned threads? if not try it..........i have read a few posts where it has solved issues,nothing to loose,if does not work then send off:)

Presume good cells used,have you tried other cells?

Regards ven

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with your light, but I usually use a paperclip/tinfoil battery by-pass test to determine if a problem with the head/driver, or the tube connection points/mechanical clicky.... and it's usually the latter, always easily fixed. Electronic clickies are a different problem though.

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
Have you cleaned threads? if not try it..........i have read a few posts where it has solved issues,nothing to loose,if does not work then send off:)

Presume good cells used,have you tried other cells?

Regards ven

Yes, after the guy at lightjunction pointed out I had forgotten about the end-cap connection (I had only cleaned the floating contact pins that face the head, duh!) I cleaned the bare metal portion of the threads and end-cap connection. So far, so good, but sometimes in the past it would work for a while. Just wondering what others experiences have been. There is much I really like about the light so I hope it can be restored to reliable functioning. Thanks for your help.

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
I have not tried that yet. If it continues to flicker, I may try that before sending it in for repair. Thanks.

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I missed the part about the cells. I'm using eneloops. When it was flickering, changing or topping off the cells did not seem to make any difference. I think I can say, after using the light for walks around the neighborhood this past week, that cleaning the threads definitely seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for your replies.