Flood/Throw - what do we really NEED? (a new epiphany from a not so new flashaholic)

WmArnold1

Newly Enlightened
I've carried a ZebraLight SC600 since 2011. Although I love it, its' 80-degree spill is only needed when illuminating objects that are 1-meter away or closer, and I'm almost always focusing on stuff that is farther out. E.g, I don't like walking through the neighborhood with my SC600, because its' wall of brightness degrades my eyes for seeing the 15-degree spot on things much farther out.

In other words; the SC600 is a work-light, not a walk-light. For that, I bought an Olight SR52-UT Intimidator that allows me to scan the perimeter and read house-numbers beyond 50-meters. But, I would still much rather EDC something the size of my SC600 that just threw a little farther. Say; 60-degree spill? :whistle:

Hopefully, Cree's recently announced XD16 emitter will bring more "throw" into the marketplace and a few vendors will dial-down their tired-and-true 80-degree spill paradigm to 60-degrees or so. If reflector size is an issue; vendors can use TIR optics, as Fenix just did with it's FD65. That said tho, I think my SR52-UT throws farther than the bulkier FD65. ~grins~

Last edited:

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Well people since I started this thread I have actually done a bit of a 180! I think I figured it out. Flood may be what we really "need" most of the time. BUT....throw is generally a lot more fun and interesting! Pure flood is great for general viewing...but it's kind of like walking around with a bare light bulb.

It's also very SLOPPY. Often we don't want or need to be spelling the light all over the place!

So basically I think the lights that strike a balance are probably best over all.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Indoors - I'm often ceiling bouncing and I've found I don't really care about the beam profile. When I am holding the light pure flood is my preference.

Outdoors - While my floody headlamp provides sufficient proximity lighting when I'm hiking in the forest, it doesn't provide enough distance to abate my fears of animal activities or sounds around me. I want more distance. During the non-summer months when I'm just walking along a straight path it's often foggy, humid, or raining. I get a lot of glare and a focused beam helps a lot.

Outdoors is what matters most to me and invariably, when it's dry, I prefer my TN12. Some of both.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I used to complain about the "follow the bouncing ball" effect when a light was too tightly focused on throw/spot. (see example of my "Real World Reviews" here).

I've found that pure throw is definitely fun, but those lights don't get a lot of use in my life. a modest spot blending out to a modest flood with well controlled edges is what I prefer.

One of the most useless lights I ever had was a Fenix headlamp that was pure flood. It was great in camp for -ME- but everyone else quickly got fed up and told me to change lights or I was gonna be force fed that one (LOL).

Pretty soon I'm going to do a new "Real World Review" featuring both the Klarus G30 (supposed to be a modest flood with good throw) and the Klarus G35 (a full on throw monster). That should be a fun "head-to-head"

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on what a person is trying to do, striking a balance may be using a pure thrower for distant viewing, without glaring out the near field and actually seeing at distance much better without a 'general purpose' spill. Then use an area flashlight for the close up/admire the view of what's about you.

There is is no One Flashlight To Rule Them All

dgbrookman

Newly Enlightened
It depends on what use you're putting your lights to.

When biking I use a Convoy S2 and a S2+. Both are floody (the S2+ more so) which is much better than a thrower when biking on winding trails. But I feel like a lot of the flood is wasted in the vertical. It would be nice if it was possible to get an asymmetric (?) reflector that allowed very wide lateral flood but not so much vertical spread.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Each user's needs are different, but for my needs I find that for 10-20 lumen walking around I want flood, more or less lumens and I start looking for some throw. I like the Surefire Titan A low output but find the high has too much flood. My Malkoff M361 isn't quite as floody on low as I would like, but medium and high (65 and 320 lumens) are fine. My HDS is good at 0.3 and 3 lumens and at 120, but not quite enough flood at 20. So, I'm still looking for the perfect light. I'm beginning to believe that it requires two distinct lens/reflectors built into one body kind of like the original Surefire Aviator.

Have you checked out the Muyshondt Beagle?

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The WC v.6 head on a MD2 body with Tricap, Raven Concealment pocket clip and DIY finger lanyard. Very pocketable, very useful and always a joy to witness the light it puts out;

malkoff-19.jpg

Update

I've been carrying this everyday (all day) for the last week and have come to truly appreciate the smooth, high CRI flood pattern. On low it provides more than enough light to navigate by foot outdoors or illuminate a menu in a dark restaurant without blinding anyone. On high it's a 1000-lumen wall of light that I only use in short bursts outdoors if needed. Using a set of 1100mah 18350 cells, I recharge about once a week based on my current usage.

Where this set up really rocks is in a defensive situation, especially with the use of a pistol: on high it is more than enough to blind adversaries within 50 feet and is exceptional for maintaining situational awareness with its wide arc of illumination. And as a typical Malkoff product, it can be effectively used as an impact weapon without fear of damaging the light.

Different lights for different purposes but for my EDC purposes (armed or otherwise), this is now my preferred light.