Foods you love that some people find disgusting

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, a proper fruitcake is delicious. The problem is, most store-bought fruitcakes are revolting, bitter lumps of arse-flavor. Having a Taiwanese mother, I've eaten PLENTY of weird crap, and fortunately for me, I usually wouldn't ask (I didn't want to know or I probably wouldn't have eaten it)...

Scubie67

Enlightened
Dude, a proper fruitcake is delicious. The problem is, most store-bought fruitcakes are revolting, bitter lumps of arse-flavor. Having a Taiwanese mother, I've eaten PLENTY of weird crap, and fortunately for me, I usually wouldn't ask (I didn't want to know or I probably wouldn't have eaten it)...

Haha I guess 2 of us on here then that like high quality fruitcake ;we aren't the norm though, you can tell how because of all the fruitcake jokes out there.I know what you mean about the store ones to.A good fruit will be tends to expensive due to the high quality contents of the ingredients if done right.The cheap store ones for a few dollars can't really do this

DM51

Flashaholic
daimleramg, one of the posts you made yesterday was deleted as inappropriate. Your subsequent post, in which you complained about its removal, was in violation of Rule 8. As a result, you will now be taking a break from here for a few days.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it's canned Corned Beef, with tomato ketchup stirred through it. It kinda looks like dog food in the end, but it makes a great sandwich. My wife hates it. She calls it vomit meat.

Illum

Flashaholic
皮蛋... something very difficult to explain in English.
It involves submerging fresh duck eggs in an alkaline solution until the egg white turns black and the egg yoke a greyish green color...and essentially preserved in a way that can last for many months [probably years too] in a room temperature. Its unique flavor originates from the decomposition of sulfur-containing amino acid. Byproducts being hydrogen sulfide and ammonia.

Its excellent with porridge but I typically eat it with fresh uncooked tofu.
It typically looks something like this, most Asians know of this.
i4pnrk.jpg

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of these dishes date back to more austere times, and times when the world was primarily rural and agricultural. When you raise cattle and hogs, by default, you have all the parts at hand and have a strong incentive to make use of them. It wasn't like they had the option of running down to the Kwiky-Mart and buying a few Twinkies when they got hungry.

My dad raised cattle when I was a kid, and I recall the time I saw beef tongue sitting on the cutting board. My mom explained what it was (and it did look like a big cow tongue), I was not excited about eating it! I'd seen the cattle in the pasture using their tongues to wipe up the snot dribbling out of their noses, and I wanted nothing to do with it! yech! It's easy to be picky when times are good, but when times are tough, some food-like substances start looking better.

Steve K.

I can relate having been raised on a farm myself.Cow tongue was a favorite of my grandmother and looks kind of strange on a platter.I can't remember how reluctant I was to try it but once I did it is what I always asked for!It is difficult to get people past the appearance but most who give it a fair chance like it IME.Gizzards and gravy,YUM! I often hear comments about how disgusting tongue and similar organs are but those same people will eat hot dogs without a second thought!? :thinking: Nothing against hot dogs I like them myself, but seriously do they really have any idea what they are eating? :crackup: When we had the dairy we typically drank raw milk that was never processed.We put it in the refridgerator in the evening and by the morning the cream would seperate to the top.I was never a big milk drinker but thought the cream was great with sugary cereal as a kid.:p lol Raw milk is quite a different product than you find in the store and I think most people would be put off by it.

nbp

Flashaholic
I had some sardines on crackers tonight, but compared to some of this other filth that sounds pretty normal! Haha.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had some sardines on crackers tonight, but compared to some of this other filth that sounds pretty normal! Haha.

My wife is 19 weeks pregnant, and that's her snack of choice at the moment :)

Illum

Flashaholic
I think I've seen that called a 'Century Egg' is that right?

yes, that is it.

but century egg may also be considered [through an apparent translation confusion] to a type of 滷蛋, or eggs that have been boiled in a master stock repeatedly reused to poach or braise meats. It is very close to Tea Eggs :huh:

This in itself is delicious and very few people would consider it disgusting. Its a light brown colored egg that has the aroma of meat [pork, beef] along with the smell of soysauce. Now if the egg was boiled in this medium for a week, it becomes 鐵蛋 [literally: Iron Egg]. So far, such a food variety can be found only in Taiwan, since it has been saturated in a salty medium for long durations, it could be stored in room temperature indefinitely... leading many to believe such a product can be stored for several years, of course, it has yet to be proven.

chanjyj

Enlightened
yes, that is it.

but century egg may also be considered [through an apparent translation confusion] to a type of 滷蛋, or eggs that have been boiled in a master stock repeatedly reused to poach or braise meats. It is very close to Tea Eggs :huh:

This in itself is delicious and very few people would consider it disgusting. Its a light brown colored egg that has the aroma of meat [pork, beef] along with the smell of soysauce. Now if the egg was boiled in this medium for a week, it becomes 鐵蛋 [literally: Iron Egg]. So far, such a food variety can be found only in Taiwan, since it has been saturated in a salty medium for long durations, it could be stored in room temperature indefinitely... leading many to believe such a product can be stored for several years, of course, it has yet to be proven.

You can't mistake one for the other.. they look entirely different!

Just ate some octopus on Sunday. Fantastic.
image.jpeg

1anrm

Enlightened
Hehehe the one on the right is good with Beer. It's pork intestines that's deep fried. No I didn't buy any since I'd like to keep my cholesterol in good shape.:D

IMG_7829.jpg