Form-Factor, Size, Ergonomics

cy

Flashaholic
edit: lights ID'd per request... all small lights have been my EDC at some point.

ARC AAA next to Li14430

edc bkup.JPG

ARC AAA, original Firefly 1 w/aluminum head, ARC LSH-P w/twisty

go to light.JPG

frt row only: Surefire M3, ARC4X, ARC4+ w/flat tailcap mod, original KI chrome, Li14430/CR2

ki shootout.JPG

Last edited:

Marlite

Enlightened
UnknownVT said:
The LED has made possible small pocketable flashlights with usable amount of light.

I find that I am more and more leaning toward single celled lights - just for the sheer convenience of portability - to the point of pocketability in pants/slacks pockets........

Sizes -
FormF_SAK.jpg

Shown here are some of my favorite single cell lights with a typical pocket knife the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife as a reference.

Unknown VT

I have followed all your reviews with interest and also love the small lights that you so neatly compare and qualify. I bought the Nuwai 0.5 Watt (TM 310) after you wrote about it and puchased it from LED -experimenter also.
He is happy in his work and keeps you humourously informed.

I found the 0.5 watt slippery but was otherwise very suitable for EDC w/decent output. I overcame the handling problem with a single plumbing O ring stolen from my unused spare faucet. It sits tightly just above my tailcap and also improves grip against my pocket or cap when the clip is used. It now suits me perfectly. The cigar grip works great for the momentary function. Try it and post one of your fabled photos. Thanks for your efforts and all the education provided.

Regards, Marlite

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cy,
It would help if you identified the lights in your pics for newbies (or clueless oldtimers). Most of those lights aren't available for purchase. Which is usually the second thing I want to know.

Marlite,
Good post, but was it neccessary to quote the entire original post in your reply?

Sincerely,
Cave "what is it and where do I get one" Dave

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknownVT,

After reading your post, it indicates to me that you want a waterproof, bombproof AAA light with a momentary tail switch and the larger head. You are in luck since Peak has released their Pacific AAA in HA-III yesturday.

The head is 20mm and the body is around 13 or 14mm with around 86mm (3.4 inches) in length. Think of it as slightly shorter than a Dorcy AAA with a slightly smaller diameter body barrel and slightly smaller head diameter. They have an optional momentary switch for the light so add that on your option order. :)

The Pacific will be considerably brighter and with the Luxeon much whiter and cleaner beam. It is regulated (alkaline 2 hours regulated/24 hours until too dim. Lithium AAA gives 5 hours regulated/2 hours until too dim) The HA-III is tough and has other optional bodies.

$49.95 for the Pacific AAA and $10 for the momentary tail switch that screws into the removable lug. It might be the perfect light for you...

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like "one cells" and these are a couple from my collection!
60382854-M-1.jpg

60382757-M-2.jpg

60382947-M-1.jpg

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
cave dave said:
It might be the way you pocket carry that has an affect. If you just let it jangle around loose at the bottom of your pocket it can be uncomfortable to carry a midsize light.

I use a BerklyPoint Micro 'biner like Clip and clip that to the edge of the pocket.

That method works really well on the L1p. It hangs vertically totaly inside the pocket, without touching the bottom. It makes Pocket cary virtually unnoticable, very conforatble and is very secure. Sometimes a bit too secure.

Mega Dittos - I carry Fenix L0P the same way. It's my casual EDC. I
sometimes total forget its there. A great way to pocket carry a
light. .......................... :thumbsup:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX wrote: "After reading your post, it indicates to me that you want a waterproof, bombproof AAA light with a momentary tail switch and the larger head. You are in luck since Peak has released their Pacific AAA in HA-III yesturday."

Ooooo.......... thank you so much for telling me about this -

It does indeed look very intriguing -
especially when I also found out it has all these optional bodies -
AA Pocket, AA Key Chain, CR2 Pocket, CR2 Key Chain -
I wonder if they've considered a single CR123 body as well?

Actually a 1watt Lux may be in that awkward in-between-y brightness for my use - a bit too bright for closer tasks - but not really bright enough for outdoors stuff.

OK my ideal light - probably not yet possible - 3 brightness levels -

1) as bright as Nuwai Q3 (or LightHound V3) on 3.6V RCR123 rechargeable Li-Ion (runtime ~ 1/2-1hour - expect to use rechargeable 3.6V Li-Ion).
2) about level of good 1/2watt (regular alkaline or NiMH AAA - runtime ~ 3-5hours)
3) dim - about 1/2 the brightness of typical 5mm white LED.... (runtime ~ 10-15hours)
(actually if there's a 2-stage switch to go from about 1/2watt level down to 1/2 of typical 5mm LED - then it would also work with the 3.6V rechargeable Li-Ion to give another level with longer runtime - perhaps at about 1 watt level? - then the light is really a 4 level light using two different types of batteries)

"Tactical" clicky tail-switch - but with lock-out possible.....

All in about the size/shape of the Dorcy 1AAA - smoothed/rounded outlines (ie: no hard sharp corners) - with rubberized inserts at head and body for comfort/grip..... Lanyard hole......

+ optional interchangeable bodies for single AA, and CR123............

(I know I'm not asking for much :huh: -
but I think all this may be possible now......)

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post. I would agree that the smaller the light the better, to a certain point. I've been known to throw a coin cell light in my pocket just to have another light sorce. Why? cause I dont notice its there.

Some thoughts on popular lights:

ArcAAA- Great, but it doesn't tail stand, good runtime, usable brightness

ArcAAA- Great, runtime could be better

CMG ultra G- Great, doesn't tail stand, very good runtime, great brightness, great overall beam.

DorcyAAA- I dont really like it, due to its form factor, but its usable, and for 6 bucks you cant go wrong. I like gen 1 and 2, not the latest gen.

Fenix- I never picked on up because it would serve no purpose as an EDC. I have an Orb RAW for brightness, throw, wow factor, and whatever else i need to see in the dark. If I think I'll need another light, I'll take another bigger, brighter light.

Orb RAW- Perfect everything, except the runtime. Total runtime on high about 13 minutes, then about 4 more of low. Low runtime probably a few hours (haven't tested it just guessing)

Q3- I liked it, but it seemed to big. I EDCed it for a few days and then sold it off.

RR2AAA- Very nice. The tint on mine sucked (got another one with much better tint), it doesn't tail stand, but its a decent brightness. I didnt particularly like the beam, but its useable. I still carry this one every once in a while.

I'm convinced the 'Perfect' EDC is 3 levels of light, in 2 different lights. The high and medium level in one light, and the low, usable level in another, that gets insane (or around 5-7 hours+) runtime.

I believe the Perfect EDC lies in the realm of CR2's a Larrylight anyone?? :D I believe that's what cy EDCs. I doubt we as flashaholics will ever reach the ultimate EDC, until people stop making flashlights, but I do believe as technology continues to move forward, practical applications will be better and better met.

cy

Flashaholic
cave dave said:
Cy,
It would help if you identified the lights in your pics for newbies (or clueless oldtimers). Most of those lights aren't available for purchase. Which is usually the second thing I want to know.
sorry about that, ID added.. Li14430 is not availble, but rest comes up on B/S/T. original KI could be kinda hard to find.

I tried using pictures with ARC AAA or other common light for sizing.

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknownVT said:
Actually a 1watt Lux may be in that awkward in-between-y brightness for my use - a bit too bright for closer tasks - but not really bright enough for outdoors stuff....
Unknown,
The Peak pacific use a 3W LED but it is vastly underdriven. I believe its driven at about 100 to 125mA or about a 1/2 watt on a single AA or AAA. So thats right about the level you are looking for.

It will be brighter if you use a CR2 or RCR2.

-Dave

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unknown,

Have you seen this light yet? It's pretty close to perfect for me since it has the ability to have different tubes for different batteries and will eventually have 2-stage as well as an IQ switch in a couple of months.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
cave dave wrote: "The Peak pacific use a 3W LED but it is vastly underdriven. I believe its driven at about 100 to 125mA or about a 1/2 watt on a single AA or AAA. So thats right about the level you are looking for."

I didn't realize that....

The link on the Peak website - stated -

Pacific 1w AAA -

url of the brass version was -

http://peakledsolutions.com/aaa_1wB.html

and it says -
1w AAA Pacific Brass

can you please please give us a reference for the use of a 3watt?

Thanks,

Roger11

Newly Enlightened
They initially planned it to be 1w. However, before the final design was finished they found that for the same input they got more candlepower output from the 3w.

This was in the literature sent with the light to Beta testers. I will scan it and link it later in the day.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an old style Inova X1 Spot (blue LED) that cratz2 very kindly sold to me.

Size comparison
X1sz.jpg

Heads and diameter
X1hds.jpg

At almost 4" it is the longest light in this comparison - for me just that little too long.

It's still do-able but there are more comfortable lights to carry in my pocket.

I do have a bias in favor of single AA lights - and the Inova X1 is nicely put togther - it looks and feels quality.

The latest version now has a regular reflector as opposed to the focussing lens spot beam - and would be more generally useful.

The momentary on button with twisty on are advantages, but its form-factor and size just puts it outside for me for serious consideration as an EDC.

I think at about $20 it's a little on the pricey side for a single 5mm LED light even if it is well made.

Marlite

Enlightened
cave dave said:
Cy,

Marlite,
Good post, but was it neccessary to quote the entire original post in your reply?

cave dave,
Sorry for the screw up everyone I was intending to hit preview and re-read the original post and hit submit before I edited. I know it was annoying, and apologise.

Marlite

roguesw

Enlightened
I really like the idea of the UK 2AAA side by side format for some reason.
It seems an efficient way of placing 2 cells but having the same length as a single cell.
For the same reason, i really like the surefire x200 series, because of this type of battery placement.
However, i also feel that the E2 body is just the right length for using a flashlight in my hand. When grasping the light, the head of the light protrudes outside of my fist and the tail end is at the right distance for the thumb.
If someone could make a 4 cell light and have them in a 2x2 configuration, that would be my ideal light.
Another thing about such a body that i like is the different types of mounting attachent that can be made for it, as shown in the x200 series.
The last thing would be the added runtime from more cells.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marlite wrote in response to cave dave
"Marlite, Good post, but was it neccessary to quote the entire original post in your reply?"
"cave dave, Sorry for the screw up everyone I was intending to hit preview and re-read the original post and hit submit before I edited. I know it was annoying, and apologise."

Marlite,

Don't sweat it....
you can still go back and edit your post to get rid of that long quote.

Marlite

Enlightened
Marlite,

Don't sweat it....
you can still go back and edit your post to get rid of that long quote.[/QUOTE]

Unknown VT

Thanks for the continuing education. I figured out how to edit the post and realise Foxfire also must be edited for better utility and less hangups. Your Mentorship is appreciated.

Regards, Marlite

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marlite wrote: "Your Mentorship is appreciated."

Mental-chip? :p

one of those things they surgically implant to prevent
.....urges? :D

They used to just stick a bit of bromide in your tea.......**

** 3 points to anyone able to tell me where that reference came from.....

OK back on topic -

sometimes there can be pretty wide variations and still be considered fine or acceptable - other times a fraction of an inch or ounce can make the world of difference.

The Inova X1 is very good case in point - it's a very well made light (albeit some problems with the current reflector version) at just a smidgen over 18mm diameter it is slim for a robust 1AA light - its twisty - but with momentary on button gives it good utility.

The newer reflector version would make it a good candidate for an EDC - except it is just a fraction too long for my comfortable pants pocket carry - at almost 4 inches - there are a lot more comfortable pocket carrying lights for me.

Another point is ergonomics - being basically tube shaped without protrusions - this is a laudable design and looks really good - until one actually uses the momentary ON button - then the tube tends to slip in the hand without any design for retention. Of course this is easily overcome by gripping more securely - but that means for any lengthy illumination one's hold is much less comfortable - yes, yes one should just then use the twisty - but there are lots of times using the mometary is more convenient - and keeping that for a reasonable time is easier - but not with the X1.....

Again one can overcome that shortcoming by adding/taping some grippy stuff (rubber tubing, grip tape) to stratigic parts of the tube... but shouldn't that be part of an ergonomic design?

The $6 Dorcy 1AAA may not have all the kudos of the Inova X1 - but its shape helps in the use of the momentary on button - the flared head fits nicely where my little finger would wrap around it..... and what looks like cheesy rubber inserts fall/fit nicely where I need the grip......

Last edited: