• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

TheFraz

Enlightened
Curious how long the "user replaceable" QTC will last and how much $$ you estimate for the QTC?

The QTC lasts much longer with these new designs.

The old piston (my previous 26350 lights) had a cavity that protected the QTC but it was still able to wiggle around a bit and would pinch and creep around the edges as the QTC aged or experienced heavy use. This resulted in a lot of the flickering that QTC lights are known for. This new piston is designed to keep the QTC centered at all times and away from the edges. The piston geometry is also better - the QTC is compressed into the center even if it has crumbled. This results in material that ramps even when it is very worn. I have several family members that have versions of the prototypes of these lights they got at Christmas. They use the lights multiple times a day and they still ramp great. I use mine hundreds of times daily (trying to break the QTC down to continue to improve the design) and I typically get months of use out of a piece. Even then, the light still ramps. I think with new materials the QTC has the potential to last years.

The replacements will be probably somewhere between $2 to $5. There are also several other materials online that work in this light. I will post a link to the top as I update light information.

-Fraz

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey fraz, I just need to know is there room in these lights for protected batteries?
Just pondering batteries - I've seen protected 26350 (that end up being 26390) with built-in protection and charging.
Also ICR IMR INR chemistry - I'm thinking IMR woud give the highest output - but I'm also wondering which chemistry can take the most drain from over discharging without being killed if I go unprotected.

Last edited:

TheFraz

Enlightened
Hey fraz, I just need to know is there room in these lights for protected batteries?
Just pondering batteries - I've seen protected 26350 (that end up being 26390) with built-in protection and charging.
Also ICR IMR INR chemistry - I'm thinking IMR woud give the highest output - but I'm also wondering which chemistry can take the most drain from over discharging without being killed if I go unprotected.

There should be room - although I haven't tested anywhere near all available cells. All the 18650 cells i've tested, including protected versions, have fit. Please let me know if there is an issue.

I typically use IMR batteries with mine. I like the chemistry better. Those ICR batteries I sold with my old lights had a safe low discharge of 2v (which I never reached). I also prefer and recommend the batteries with those safe low voltages or protection for this light because of its lack of protection circuitry. Most of the time the light is near complete depletion when it's around 3v.

That being said, there are some physical protections built in just in case of a short. Also built in resistances to keep from a runaway with some of these high-discharge cells. I've found that single-cell use seems to be very safe typically.

TheFraz

Enlightened
kvbRaE2.jpg

Favorite aesthetic design yet.