• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would that lead to a better understanding

What makes you think you need to know the resistance of the host, the forward voltage of the LED, and the battery Amperage?

What are you trying to accomplish, what is your goal?

What do you want your Fraz to do, what are your expectations?

ecmp

Newly Enlightened
What makes you think you need to know the resistance of the host, the forward voltage of the LED, and the battery Amperage?
To be able to determine which LED would be compatible with Fraz given some available battery.

What are you trying to accomplish, what is your goal?
No planned obsolescence means being able to upgrade the LED. Rather than predicting which LED in the future would or would not work, best to have a specific set of information as a guide. Knowing the range of battery options and their challenges is another.

What do you want your Fraz to do, what are your expectations?
With a user replaceable LED (MCPCB) and range of battery options, would want to be able to do so in a more informed condition than Lego bricks.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope by 'actual experience' you do not mean simply swapping out emitters and matching batteries first then ask questions after.

I may be totally wrong, but I believe that batteries in flashlights being explosive bombs have been greatly exaggerated.
Single battery host, single LED....i don't see you losing a hand using it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be able to determine which LED would be compatible with Fraz given some available battery.
The Fraz uses what is referred to as a 3V LED, (not 6V nor 12V LEDs)
with what is referred to as a 3.7V LiIon battery (not 1.5V nor 3.0V batteries)

Is that enough information to help you decide whether you want to buy a Fraz?

ecmp

Newly Enlightened
The Fraz uses what is referred to as a 3V LED, (not 6V nor 12V LEDs)
with what is referred to as a 3.7V LiIon battery (not 1.5V nor 3.0V batteries)
Thank you!

There were posts about the light going on direct drive in the event that the QTC pill degrades or fails. Would any 3V LED still continue to function without being fried in direct drive?

Would any 3.7V LiIon battery work with any 3V LED? Some suggestions would be to go for protected and lower discharge batteries - would it mean any protected 4A, 6A, 10A?

Is that enough information to help you decide whether you want to buy a Fraz?
Fraz in transit. Additional information would help determine whether other LEDs or batteries would be used.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that QTC degrades to the point that you go into direct drive and you didn't notice that it was degrading. I'll buy you a new fraz on my dime. Is that even possible? Legit question.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. It's a pressure sensing material. For it to fail means it would need to disintegrate. Now I imagine over time it does degrade, but it won't disintegrate.
Thanks. I didn't think so but sometimes when someone comes in with questions like that it makes ya doubt yourself haha

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would any 3V LED still continue to function without being fried in direct drive?

Would any 3.7V LiIon battery work with any 3V LED?
I have not seen any Fraz light direct drive tests that could help answer that question.

As a rule of thumb for direct drive:

I would avoid using a battery with a higher Amperage max drain rate, than the max Amperage the LED is rated for

for example, I would suggest 3A batteries, paired w LEDs that can handle no less than 3A.

I would avoid using a 10A battery on direct drive, with an LED rated for less than 10A

if you do a test,
let us know your results ;-)...

Fraz in transit.
congratulations!
I hope you love it ;-)

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have a tiny tank with the stock led. I'm using a protected 18350 and run it on high until it starts to dim. Probably 30-40 minutes. She gets warm but not hot enough to worry about. This is in the summer.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I got my light yesterday. This is my first Fraz light, and it is certainly an interesting flashlight. I don't know if I am happy with the optic as it produces an artifact in the center. I appreciate the craftsmanship and thought put into the light. I like the way it feels from a tactile perspective.

IMG_5333.jpeg
IMG_5334.jpeg

ecmp

Newly Enlightened
I have a tiny tank with the stock led. I'm using a protected 18350 and run it on high until it starts to dim. Probably 30-40 minutes. She gets warm but not hot enough to worry about. This is in the summer.
@thermal guy Thank you! How many Amperes is the battery rated for?

ecmp

Newly Enlightened
I got my light yesterday. This is my first Fraz light, and it is certainly an interesting flashlight. I don't know if I am happy with the optic as it produces an artifact in the center. I appreciate the craftsmanship and thought put into the light. I like the way it feels from a tactile perspective.

View attachment 51145View attachment 51146
Thank you for sharing! Hope the artifact in the center would be resolved.

Why is the tailcap not installed on the second / third flashlight from the top?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never noticed an artifact in the center of mine but I probably wouldn't have. I never really white wall hunt I just know it wasn't bad enough that I noticed it in real use. I took it hunting a few times and used it at work often. Hmmmm.

Latest posts